PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] gnome-file-share-properties doesn't work

richardsith
August 6th, 2011, 10:35 PM
Hello everybody,
I need help to configure gnome for sharing directories.
I've configured gnome-file-share-properties on all my Ubuntu's PC for sharing the directory Public to each other. I following some guide found on Internet for the configuration of it, all explain the same procedure but in my case I don't see any Public directory shared with the PC. Following this link

http://library.gnome.org/users/gnome-user-share/stable/gnome-user-share-getting-started.html.en

I'd see the directory Public plus the name of PC that shares its directory on Nautilus Places.

In my case I don't see anything, therefore on the Network place see all the machines 'n if I try to click on one receive this:

"DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)"

note: I don't want to use Samba because I've all Ubuntu PC, and the firewall is disabled on all PC.

Thanks a lot

richardsith
August 7th, 2011, 09:19 AM
is there anyone can help me??

Morbius1
August 7th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I don't use Personal File Sharing since even when it works it doesn't work consistently but you might want to try starting or restarting avahi:

sudo service ahavi-daemon start
OR:

sudo service avahi-daemon restart

richardsith
August 9th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I'm so sorry for my later.
I did it but nothing...I've decided to us Samba!!!
I don't know why that application is present in Gnome and it doesn't work
:confused:

Morbius1
August 9th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I think it's there because it's a bundled application that brings with it Bluetooth connectivity. The non bluetooth part ( the part you are trying to use ) is disabled by default and you had to add an apache and avahi package to make it start properly.

For some it works without issue, for some it's sporadic, and for others not at all.

richardsith
August 10th, 2011, 04:30 PM
thanks a lot for your explanation, it's more clear now. I hope Gnome resolve that soon.

PayPaul
September 23rd, 2011, 02:39 PM
I also tried to enable file sharing today and was informed that "File sharing cannot be enabled because the required packages are not installed in your system".

Where do I get these required packages. Perusing the threads today I've discovered it has something to do with Samba. How do I know it's installed or not and if not how do I get it? I tried the applications launcher, searched for Samba and got no response. If not Samba what other packages in Ubuntu 11.04 will allow file sharing and access to my computer network?