PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wubi

minipot
August 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM
can I use wubi to install ubuntu then to kick windows off my systemso its just ubuntu.
(not too techy answer please I'm still learning)

minipot
August 6th, 2011, 05:36 PM
by the way I want to do this without re installing ubuntu, so I can keep my files from the dual boot and start the replacement of windows in a safe enviroment with an easy fallback.

Rubi1200
August 7th, 2011, 01:07 PM
can I use wubi to install ubuntu then to kick windows off my systemso its just ubuntu.
(not too techy answer please I'm still learning)
The answer to your question is no.

Wubi installs as a large file on the host system (Windows), so if you were to delete Windows afterwards, Ubuntu would be gone too.

There are 2 options you can consider:

1. Just install Ubuntu from the CD and tell it to wipe the drive clean so there is only Ubuntu

2. Do a Wubi install and then migrate it to the drive before getting rid of Windows

That said, I recommend you do the following:

backup all important files before making major changes to your system and, if you don't have one, create a Windows recovery disk from the built-in option in Windows.

Rather than wiping Windows, I suggest you first try dual-booting for a few months before making this decision. You never know when there might be some program that only works on Windows or your work requires a Windows-based operating system etc.

There are many users on the forum who happily dual-boot both operating systems.

Whatever you decide, good luck and don't forget to ask for assistance if you need it.