PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How to install ubuntu on IBM Thinkpad R40.

curtdog1996
August 6th, 2011, 07:31 AM
Okay, so if you are trying to run Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narhwal) on an IBM Thinkpad R40 system, you might run into a little problem. It seems that the live CD install does not work from a USB stick. I looked around for weeks to find a lightweight Linux based distro, but they all were crummy, and did not offer the looks and / or services that I wished for. Finally, I was suggested Xubuntu. I ran the alternate install from a burned CD. The install was clean and successful. I used the OS for a week, and got tired of the limited options and ultimately wanted Ubuntu. I found a thread on how to upgrade from Xubuntu to Ubuntu, and ran the command in terminal (sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop). The install was successful, and I found that it was now a little cluttered (being an older system, with outdated hardware), so I looked around some more. I found a post on psycho cats (or something like that) that had a terminal command to uninstall Xubuntu. I ran the command, and tah dah, done. I'm very glad I finally figured out how to install Ubuntu on my piece of junk IBM Thinkpad.:popcorn: