PDA

View Full Version : Bash: know the active color used by GTK?

honeybear
August 6th, 2011, 02:22 AM
Hi,

gtk+ 2.0 change theme allows to change your gtk theme. OK. I would need to know the most important color used by gtk so that firefox looks black, braun, ... and other apps.

How to know it with bash in realtime?

Cheers

JupiterV2
August 6th, 2011, 03:21 PM
man gconftool-2

DependencyHell
August 6th, 2011, 04:39 PM
I hope i understood correctly your question: you want to find the most abundant color in icons used by your apps? I believe there is more elegant solution to this, but i gave it a try and made this simple script

#!/bin/sh
#a simple script to extract the most used colors
i=0
for file in $1/*
do
pngtopnm $file >/tmp/buff.pnm
pnmcolormap 2 /tmp/buff.pnm>/tmp/buff2.pnm
pnmtopng /tmp/buff2.pnm>~/map_result$i.png
rm -f /tmp/buff.pnm
rm -f /tmp/buff2.pnm
i=$(($i+1))
done
What is produced are small (2px large!) pngs with two colors. from man pages for pnmcolormap i understand that those two are mean colors appearing in the picture, from two disjunct sets being identified. For example, here is the output of my empty-trash icon (result.png). If i use pnmcolormap -meanpixel 2 /tmp/buff.pnm>/tmp/buff2.pnm, the result is better, because mean color is now weighted by the amounts of pixels!
result2 shows this output, and i believe is more realistic...the drawback of this "method" is that you have to check the colors by eye. And you have to enlarge the 2px pictures. :confused: perhaps there is something faster.

honeybear
August 7th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I hope i understood correctly your question: you want to find the most abundant color in icons used by your apps? I believe there is more elegant solution to this, but i gave it a try and made this simple script
What is produced are small (2px large!) pngs with two colors. from man pages for pnmcolormap i understand that those two are mean colors appearing in the picture, from two disjunct sets being identified. For example, here is the output of my empty-trash icon (result.png). If i use pnmcolormap -meanpixel 2 /tmp/buff.pnm>/tmp/buff2.pnm, the result is better, because mean color is now weighted by the amounts of pixels!
result2 shows this output, and i believe is more realistic...the drawback of this "method" is that you have to check the colors by eye. And you have to enlarge the 2px pictures. :confused: perhaps there is something faster.

it is a cool bull or cow, man. Is it coming from minecraft?

I meant that how to know the current GTK color tht is currently used.

DependencyHell
August 7th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Is it coming from minecraft?
Nope, from zootetragonoides icon set :)
No for your question...i don't know if this helps but here is what i would suggest:
first enter the directory /usr/share/themes/<your theme name>
if you don't want to look which theme you currently have just type in

cd /usr/share/themes/`grep gtk-theme-name ~/.gtkrc-2.0 | sed 's/"/ /g' | awk '{print $2}'`Then look for the colors appearing in your .rc files:

grep '#[[:alnum:]][ff,FF]' `find . -name *.rc`for example here is my output for the theme "Radiance" i use:

./gtk-2.0/apps/gnome-terminal.rc: text[NORMAL] = "#ffffff"
./gtk-2.0/apps/chromium.rc: ChromeGtkFrame::frame-color = "#dfd7cf"
./gtk-2.0/apps/chromium.rc: ChromeGtkFrame::inactive-frame-color = "#dfd7cf"
./gtk-2.0/apps/chromium.rc: ChromeGtkFrame::incognito-frame-color = "#dfd7cf"
./gtk-2.0/apps/chromium.rc: ChromeGtkFrame::incognito-inactive-frame-color = "#dfd7cf"
the last "*" (e.g. #dfd7cf) contains the encoding for color used within my theme.

Cheers!

honeybear
August 7th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Nope, from zootetragonoides icon set :)
No for your question...i don't know if this helps but here is what i would suggest:
first enter the directory /usr/share/themes/<your theme name>
if you don't want to look which theme you currently have just type in

cd /usr/share/themes/`grep gtk-theme-name ~/.gtkrc-2.0 | sed 's/"/ /g' | awk '{print $2}'`Then look for the colors appearing in your .rc files:

grep '#[[:alnum:]][ff,FF]' `find . -name *.rc`for example here is my output for the theme "Radiance" i use:

./gtk-2.0/apps/gnome-terminal.rc: text[NORMAL] = "#ffffff"
./gtk-2.0/apps/chromium.rc: ChromeGtkFrame::frame-color = "#dfd7cf"
./gtk-2.0/apps/chromium.rc: ChromeGtkFrame::inactive-frame-color = "#dfd7cf"
./gtk-2.0/apps/chromium.rc: ChromeGtkFrame::incognito-frame-color = "#dfd7cf"
./gtk-2.0/apps/chromium.rc: ChromeGtkFrame::incognito-inactive-frame-color = "#dfd7cf"
the last "*" (e.g. #dfd7cf) contains the encoding for color used within my theme.

Cheers!

thank you. That's very great reply. Thanks.

However to know the current one (without looking into /usr/share/theme) but into $HOME ?

Best regards

DependencyHell
August 7th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Hmm..I think that color settings you use with apps are tightly connected to the themes. For example, when i wanted make some difference how my apps look, i had to modify the Radiance theme. I am actually not sure if there is some other way to access current color settings besides looking at the current theme settings. I am sorry i couldn't help you more than this. But if there is a way, i would be glad to learn it. I looked over the entries of gconf-editor, but couldn't find anything besides reference to the whole theme, in my case Radiance :confused: