PDA

View Full Version : Would you use a Linux specific ISP (Dial Up)

dragonfyre13
May 25th, 2006, 06:21 AM
My question is simple. I am looking into starting an ISP using an existing base, it would have roughly 9000 numbers throughout the US and Canada. Assume that you can get a local access number when voting. (if you can get one with any other dialup ISP)

The question is, would you use an ISP that is specifically tailored to Linux?

The cost would be roughly $8-10 per month, and I would need at least 20-30 users over the entire network to get started. I am not sure what exact services I would provide, except that I would specifically provide support for Dialup internet on linux, and if you sign up for a plan (6/12 months) you would get a free serial modem.

The network uses the latest v92/v44 protocol, which increases the speed of dialup by about 25% without any software. There would be as few frills as possible, (likely just a single email account, and possibly 10MB of webspace)

Would you switch your dialup ISP to something linux centric?

roachk71
May 25th, 2006, 08:22 AM
An incredibly good concept...

As much as I would like to try building a network like this, we have too much high-profile competition up here.

I really like the serial modem idea. Too many of us are forced to cope with a resource-hogging Winmodem. 8)

dragonfyre13
May 25th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Of course, it also helps that serial modems are plug and play in linux kernels 2.2 and up. :)

dragonfyre13
May 25th, 2006, 10:40 PM
So, what extras are people looking for in a linux ISP?

Kvark
May 25th, 2006, 11:30 PM
I think the extras ISPs offer are usually way behind even the free alternatives for the same services from other companies. The usual webspace is useless for websites because it doesn't support server side scripting and doesn't offer domain name as an addon. It's also useless for personal files because it doesn't keep them secure and it's very small. I wouldn't use the email no matter how good it may be because you have to change your address and tell everyone about your new address and change all your subscriptions and website accounts to it if you change ISP. If an ISP cut a deal with a webhosting company to provide real services to those who want it then it might be interesting but otherwise I just want an internet connection with as little hassle as possible and nothing else. I think Linux users are more likely to be picky about this and stay away from half-good extras then Windows users.

When I think about it, one extra that would be good in combination with a dail up connection is big downloads by mail. Like some web from where you point out 700MB of files you want from the net and get them on a CD in the mail. Specially since open source, free culture and that stuff Linux users are likely to be into is legal to download. But it would require a fully automatic download and burn proccess.

BWF89
May 25th, 2006, 11:36 PM
How could an ISP be for Linux specifically?

All an ISP is is a connection to the internet. If we created our own ISP and it was only for Linux that would be just as bad as someone creating an ISP that you could only use on Windows. The only problem I with ISP's are that they usually include their own proprietary web browsing software that I have to pay for eventhough I prefer useing a browser.

Plus I have DSL, how could I ever go back to useing dial-up?

drizek
May 26th, 2006, 12:40 AM
ya, most linux users would want to use broadband. i wouldnt use dial up even if it was free.

disturbed1
May 26th, 2006, 01:11 AM
http://www.eskimo.com/ <-- Check these guys out.

As far as extras, for $8-$10/month, I don't know maybe a cool T-Shirt for a 6month sign up. I wouldn't bother with the email or web space, too much of a headace. You'd have to worry about people sending out spam, and doing less than legal things. Get yourself a Yahoo or Gmail account. Plenty of free web space providers, and cheap hosting options.

Where would your POP be? And how many area codes would you offer service in? I have a broad band connection, and use their back up dial up just incase I ever go down. My girlfriend's parent only use dial up, because they don't want/need anything more.

SeanTater
May 26th, 2006, 02:13 AM
I'd drop dead if I had to deal with dial-up.. Even if it was 100% linux..

I have a 4.8 Mbit down, 384 Kbit up internet connection..
I have done nothing but whine about how slow it is, but it's by far the fastest thing available here, that I know of..

/bin/flame --whine > /dev/ISP

towsonu2003
May 26th, 2006, 03:40 AM
definitely yes: if they give / borrow a hard modem
although no: my current dial up service is free
but would be 'maybe': if the price was about 8-10 dollars and my current dial up was around that price as well.

I'd drop dead if I had to deal with dial-up..

I do that everytime I do
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade in my Dapper... It's a good thing my school gives wireless access (so I take the system there, get the updates, go back home)...

RavenOfOdin
May 26th, 2006, 03:52 AM
Comcast works fine for me with their DSL package.

I can deal with the lack of tech support. . .for now.

DigitalDuality
May 26th, 2006, 04:04 AM
In america, south korea, much of europe, dial up is becoming a non-issue.

In developing nations, it's still the status quo for internet connectivity. In poor regions of the US, i would say the same as well. If i was in that scenario.. i would say yes, linux specific would be wonderful.

I wish i had a linux specific ISP while i was on dialup all through college, instead.. if i wanted internet access... i shared my parent's AOL account. Which, at the time (don't know about now) was a no go on Linux... i think there's a real hacky way to do it but i dunno.

Now in the days of broadband... i really don't care who they cater to. It's a non-issue.

I'm more concerned about a non NSA supporting, net neutrality supporting ISP (which there's 2 of the former that i know of..and none of the latter).

dragonfyre13
May 26th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Well, this would have roughly 9000 access numbers, and there would be no restrictions on what OS you run. The difference would be that I would be offering support for linux, and specifically tailor things to linux users. IE, distributing a serial modem to customers that sign up with a plan.

Also, I might have something like the download to a CD type thing, but it would either have to be a "pay-per-CD" thing, or possibly have a higher plan that you can sign up for that would give you a certain amount of CDs per month. (actually been thinking about this for a while, but never found a market for it)