PDA

View Full Version : id Tech 4 engine (Doom 3, Quake 4, Quake Wars) to be open sourced

kaldor
August 5th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Source (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTc1MQ)

Just as suspected: the source-code to id Software's Doom 3 game will be publicly released this year!

This morning I wrote about What Should Linux Gamers Expect From QuakeCon 2011? In there, I mentioned the id Tech 4 engine source release was likely based upon past QuakeCon traditions and John Carmack previously promising the code's released upon the release of the RAGE game with id Tech 5.

This is indeed the case and just moments ago during John Carmack's QuakeCon 2011 keynote he confirmed the release this year of Doom 3.

The source-code to Doom 3 is definitely to be released this year, Zenimax (the company that acquired id Software) has been supportive of the process, and he has challenged other game developers to release old source-code too. Carmack says that releasing the code really helps the development community.

Rage is set to be released for the PC in October, so the Doom 3 source release will likely be at some point thereafter. Carmack has yet to comment on the Linux state of the id Tech 5 engine or a Rage Linux client, which is suspected at some point but likely not on launch-day.

Hopefully when this comes out we will see games that aren't based on 12 year old technology and gameplay show up for Linux. Some modern, high-end, free Linux games based on this engine could be pretty cool. I'm personally sick of all the deathmatch games on the go.

Quake 4 gameplay (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lu_e1oIks0&feature=player_detailpage#t=31s).

Eiji Takanaka
August 5th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Sounds good man.

Merk42
August 5th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I have the source for Doom 3 right here:

#000000;

cgroza
August 5th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Great news. Maybe we will get something better that OpenArena and Nexuiz with this new technology coming up.

kaldor
August 5th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Great news. Maybe we will get something better that OpenArena and Nexuiz with this new technology coming up.

The capabilities of the engine are pretty large. I would love to see a game like Urban Terror except with a more modern engine, for example.

realzippy
August 5th, 2011, 02:50 PM
I would prefer playing idtech5 rage natively on linux...

Bandit
August 5th, 2011, 03:17 PM
This is good news. But honestly I really wished a MMO engine would be released based on more like WoW or something. What Linux really needs is a large real MMO that millions would want to play.

timZZ
August 5th, 2011, 03:24 PM
It is very good news but without the follow-ship of the people wanting to play these games - really dedicated development will be still a dream. Brings us one step closer ...

kaldor
August 5th, 2011, 03:38 PM
It is very good news but without the follow-ship of the people wanting to play these games - really dedicated development will be still a dream. Brings us one step closer ...

Most every free shooter game on Linux is based on the previous id Tech engines; not to mention all the commercial games like the Jedi Knight series, Star Trek Elite Force, Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, etc. Games like Quake have a huge cult following.

del_diablo
August 5th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Is the devtools for mapping included? If not, then it won't really help will it?

kaldor
August 5th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Is the devtools for mapping included? If not, then it won't really help will it?

Talking about map editors? They've been open source and free for as long as I can remember.

RiceMonster
August 5th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I have the source for Doom 3 right here:

#000000;

I see what you did there.

Basher101
August 5th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Since im using ubuntu for a month, having tried with my pathetic onboard graphics some games and failed, and having no idea how those engines work, i still like it :D

forrestcupp
August 5th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I'm personally sick of all the deathmatch games on the go.

Me too. The problem is that it's a lot harder to create a campaign style, single player game. You don't have to put nearly as much effort into a deathmatch game. Since about every open source game is developed by volunteers, that's what we end up getting.

del_diablo
August 5th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Talking about map editors? They've been open source and free for as long as I can remember.

Then why are there not a grand platformer game for the engine? :P
What I asked about included a lot more than just making maps. Talking about setting up a lot of things, hacking together a map in a few minuttes is a essential part, but it won't really do anything if you can't remove the core problems(such as that the game is a FPS).

Lucradia
August 6th, 2011, 02:57 AM
This is good news. But honestly I really wished a MMO engine would be released based on more like WoW or something. What Linux really needs is a large real MMO that millions would want to play.

Unreal Engine is often used for MMORPGs, even those of today.

Any engine, even if it has no online capabilities, can be made or weaved into an MMORPG.

alexan
August 6th, 2011, 08:40 AM
So, Quake 4 on Android too? :KS

kaldor
August 6th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Then why are there not a grand platformer game for the engine? :P
What I asked about included a lot more than just making maps. Talking about setting up a lot of things, hacking together a map in a few minuttes is a essential part, but it won't really do anything if you can't remove the core problems(such as that the game is a FPS).

Setting up a map in a few minutes is easy, it will just suck :)

The tools that id gives away free are the same tools they used to create the maps in Singleplayer and Multiplayer themselves. You will need to learn how to do it properly, and it's not a simple task.

As for platformer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGEX5EA32nc&feature=related

Probably not what you meant, but there are lots of "jump" maps made by fans to practice or just show off with Quake's jumping physics.

But yeah, all the previous game engines have a huge wealth of stuff available. Are you aware of Urban Terror? UrT is an entirely fan made game based on Quake 3 and uses the same mapping tools, etc. Check it out.

With the game's engine available (and the multiplayer SDK) you can turn the game into pretty much anything if you have the time and care to do it.

NMFTM
August 6th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Unreal Engine is often used for MMORPGs, even those of today.
For some reason, I don't really like games that use the Unreal 2.0 engine. For example, Rainbow Six Rogue Spear was one of my favorite games. But then when Raven Shield came out I and used 2.0 stopped liking the R6 series. Something about the way you move around doesn't feel as "realistic". It's probably all just in my head though.

I played Borderlands (which uses 3.0) and it was fine.