PDA

View Full Version : She excel-ed at it ;-)

haqking
August 5th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I have seen it all now, a Microsoft Excel World Championship ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/8682303/British-teen-is-Microsoft-Excel-world-champion.html

sffvba[e0rt
August 5th, 2011, 11:42 AM
I have seen it all now, a Microsoft Excel World Championship ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/microsoft/8682303/British-teen-is-Microsoft-Excel-world-champion.html

Not for someone who takes their spreadsheets seriously... Ninja edit ^_^

haqking
August 5th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Not for someone who takes their spreadsheets seriously...

Actually i was about to edit that as i dont want to offend anyone with that statement, it didnt come off how i meant it ;-)

Smilax
August 5th, 2011, 12:56 PM
truly a case of wasted youth.

sffvba[e0rt
August 5th, 2011, 01:06 PM
truly a case of wasted youth.

More than running around a field after an egg-shaped ball? Or hitting a tiny small ball away with an odd-looking stick just to go find it and repeat the process?

To each his own... If I had the skills I would be playing Starcraft 2 in South Korea :)

johnnybgoode83
August 5th, 2011, 01:49 PM
At least this lass will be a lot more employable now as modern businesses simply love spreadsheets.

Bandit
August 5th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Blahh.. If you really want to see excel put to the test look at some of the DPS databases/performance calculators some of the top end WoW players use.
I have used them when I played and they are sometimes little over the insane margin when it comes to calculating damage for a freaking game. Only reason she won was because all the wow rogues were on the game trying to gank some one.. LOL

Smilax
August 5th, 2011, 04:18 PM
More than running around a field after an egg-shaped ball? Or hitting a tiny small ball away with an odd-looking stick just to go find it and repeat the process?

To each his own... If I had the skills I would be playing Starcraft 2 in South Korea :)

yea, to each his (or her) own.

but in terms of cool story's about your life to tell the grandkids, this is not one.

and the grandkids would prob love it if you could tell them you got pay'd to pay games in korea.

while "i increased my employability by being the world best at 'excel'"

just don't have that same ring to it, you know?

Inodoro Pereyra
August 5th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Personally, I think the worst part is not that a teenager is using her time to be the best at Excel.
What worries me is that she was declared the champion among 280000 other people...:shock:

And yes, as a teenager, her time would be much better spent doing any kind of sport. We're looking at a prime candidate for a crappy future health here.

forrestcupp
August 5th, 2011, 06:41 PM
There’s a lot of Asians here and usually they’re the ones who get all the top prizes
It was worth watching just to hear her say that. :)

nothingspecial
August 5th, 2011, 06:42 PM
She's the WORLD CHAMPION

If I was a world champion, which I never ever will be, I wouldn't give a monkeys what any one thought, whatever I was world champion at. Because I'd be the

WORLD CHAMPION

forrestcupp
August 5th, 2011, 06:48 PM
She's the WORLD CHAMPION

If I was a world champion, which I never ever will be, I wouldn't give a monkeys what any one thought, whatever I was world champion at. Because I'd be the

WORLD CHAMPION

World Champions dominate!

Plus she got $5000.

fdrake
August 5th, 2011, 06:50 PM
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgXFyLwbCSI2qHvPJw6kTKu0Ax6d3EK z4cVROGxZc8E8CXiCSasw

nothingspecial
August 5th, 2011, 06:57 PM
World Champions dominate!

Plus she got $5000.

Absolutely.

If I was world champion at anything, be it mandolin tuning or egg frying or if I was her.......

......If someone told me that the thing I was world champion at was stupid or silly or worthless or tried to belittle me for it, I'd ask

"Are you a world champion?"

And when I get the inevitable negative reply, I'd say

"Well, when you are world champion come back and we'll discuss it but until then I am world champion and you are just some person, it's beneath me."

fdrake
August 5th, 2011, 07:14 PM
Absolutely.

If I was world champion at anything, be it mandolin tuning or egg frying or if I was her.......

......If someone told me that the thing I was world champion at was stupid or silly or worthless or tried to belittle me for it, I'd ask

"Are you a world champion?"

And when I get the inevitable negative reply, I'd say

"Well, when you are world champion come back and we'll discuss it but until then I am world champion and you are just some person, it's beneath me."

I agree, if they paid me 5k i would have run even for the user championship of IE

Swagman
August 5th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Congratulations to her for becoming a World Champion at something.

She hails from our neck of the woods. I find it somewhat disturbing that I.. yes me... made into our local news but she hasn't. (And I'm a no-one)

But I guess that's down to the poms preoccupation with the weather !!

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/

See if you can find my contribution !!

Inodoro Pereyra
August 5th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Hey, I'm the procrastination World Champion, and I never made such a fuss about it.

Swagman
August 5th, 2011, 08:01 PM
You failed at procrastination....You finished your.....Zzz

Inodoro Pereyra
August 5th, 2011, 08:07 PM
That's the thing: I didn't. I still didn't go claim the prize though...

BTW, I don't know what you did, but this pic almost made me cry:

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/traffic-transport/latest-travel/actor_rowan_atkinson_escapes_horror_smash_near_pet erborough_1_2934940

Such a beautiful car... :(

I do find it funny, however, that in the picture it says he crashed into a tree, and just a few lines below it says he hit a sign. What was it, the sign of a tree?

Swagman
August 5th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Yeah I agree. Still he's got plenty wonga to buy another or get that one fixed.
btw.. That McLaren is the very one Top Gear used in the drag race against the Veyron.

As to my contribution.. It was the lead vid on this page (http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/local/video_flash_flooding_chaos_in_peterborough_canoe_b elieve_it_1_2928248) until someone sent in a vid that they could use a corny headline on. Mine is still referenced in the article though and was on National TV last night

YAY.. Now why did I upload it with a creative licence ?