PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Natty on Lenovo S12, the bumpy road to unGnome.

keepitsimpleengr
August 4th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Not being very fond of Natty's new unGnome interface, I decided to install it on my little laptop, where if I wanted I could demo it to others who might like it.

So I installed it. After a few weeks, it would fail at boot, presenting only colorful garbage on the screen. Same in recovery mode.

Sigh.

Reinstall, booted a few times, died again.

Reinstall, never booted.

Repeats, about six, various tricks learned over the years. One attempt failed to install bind9!, so even though I could connect to the Internet, I could only ping the DNS server.

Finally I reinstalled with no connection to the Internet. And got it to stay up long enough to apply the changes from Chris' Blog (HTTP://fakkelbrigade.eu/chris/blog/2010/12/wireless-not-working-in-ubuntu-on-the-lenovo-ideapad-s12/) ⋯ killing off the superfluous and evil acer_wmi module, and replacing the very snazzy but quirky Network Manager with the quaint but effective wicd, no system tray icon for the unGnome however.

So I have now a working and apparently stable Natty, except that it's taking over 5 minutes to boot.

Sigh.

To try to figure out what this newest bump on the road was, I install bootchart. The first boot after that install took thirty seconds, as well as the several afterwards.

I am at a loss to explain it, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

keepitsimpleengr
October 30th, 2011, 02:34 AM
Upgraded to 11.10 from 11.04 online.

The upgrade installed Network Manager, which⋯although not "running"⋯managed to sabotage wicd by deleting the nameserver IP address.

Deleting network manager and manually updating /etc/resolv.conf adding the nameserver's IP address allowed me navigate into the cloud.