PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I can't install 11.04 to usb HDD

pagratios
August 4th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Τhat last 2 days trying to install ubuntu 11.04 to an external usb hdd 500gb because a friend has a netbook with no hdd (it had ssd but is off) and now has to an external 6 gb hdd the ubuntu 9.10.

I install the 11.04 and then when choose to grub the right choise it had the error below

error: couldn't read file.
error: you need to load the kernel first.
Press any key to continue...

but I fixit with boot repair from live CD.

The problem is that it goes to the desktop but I can not click anything and the mouse indicates that loads.

Please help me.

sorry for my english

mikewhatever
August 4th, 2011, 10:56 PM
This is a known problem with the new Unity interface and some Nvidia cards. Select the option with no effects at the login screen which should work just fine.

If you still have problems with the installation itself as the title suggests, please detail them.

pagratios
August 5th, 2011, 08:31 PM
This is a known problem with the new Unity interface and some Nvidia cards. Select the option with no effects at the login screen which should work just fine.

If you still have problems with the installation itself as the title suggests, please detail them.

I haven't nvidia and I have selected the ubuntu classic option. I'll try it and I 'll write results

mikewhatever
August 6th, 2011, 06:33 AM
There are two classic options, Ubuntu Classic (no effects) and Ubuntu Classic. Only the first one works. Basically, there is a problem with the combination of Nvidia and compiz.

pagratios
August 6th, 2011, 12:33 PM
There are two classic options, Ubuntu Classic (no effects) and Ubuntu Classic. Only the first one works. Basically, there is a problem with the combination of Nvidia and compiz.

My laptop has ati which I try it

pagratios
August 11th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I did reinstall ubuntu 11.04 and I had the message

error: couldn't read file.
error: you need to load the kernel first.
Press any key to continue...

which before I fix it with boot repair and now nothing

Have anyone do this with external hdd

pagratios
August 12th, 2011, 03:32 PM
With ubuntu classis no effect work but after restart have a message that hdd is not yet performed and wait so much time and freeze there