PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10 to dual boot on a raid0 array

holmes102980
August 4th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I would love to be able to install Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10 to dual boot on a raid0 array. I am somewhat tech savvy but would prefer to be led step by step to make it easy(not really good with a command line as far as understanding things goes). I just purchased two 500GB WD Caviar Black drives and would like to run raid0. I would like to partition the raid array so that windows has about 70 gigs, Ubuntu has about 30 gigs, and the rest of the 800+ gigs are a storage partition that I can share files between the two operating systems(I am assuming this partition will have to be ntfs). Hopefully that's clear enough. I have 8GB of memory so I don't feel like I need a swap space but if I have to have one it's no big deal, just include that in the directions please. I also understand that in order to boot properly the MBR has to be on one of the drives itself and not on the array(I think) but I am not an expert so I don't know how to do all this even though I understand the setup. If it's possible I wouldn't mind buying a small 2GB usb flash drive for the MBR instead of having to use some space on the hard drives that I am using for the raid array. Please let me know step by step which operating system to install first, how to partition, how to install the second OS, and then how to make sure I boot up with grub2 to be able to pick which operating system I will boot into. Also I am assuming that my motherboard will help me set up the raid0 array but is that the best option and if not what should I use to set it up and how? Also what stripe size should I use for the best performance?

O.K. sorry for all the questions. Thanks.

I do know that raid0 is risky but I do regular backups and always have the important stuff saved somewhere else as well. I prefer getting the speed boost.