PDA

View Full Version : Splash or no Bootsplash

khightower
May 25th, 2006, 01:41 AM
I love Ubuntu in every way, well almost. When I install it I can't but to make clearlooks
my default theme disable the splash that appears after you login.

I have also come to the conclusion that I don't like the Ubuntu bootsplash screen. I kind of missed the Linux tech-look of seeing the boot process without a "user friendly" bootsplash image.

I wonder how may Linux users have disable the bootsplash or would if they knew how.

Engnome
May 25th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Doesnt this belong in a support forum? To disable splash try using google or this forums search function. Im sure there is a solution. Maybe uninstalling usplash or whatever it called.

XQC
May 25th, 2006, 09:32 PM
Doesnt this belong in a support forum? To disable splash try using google or this forums search function. Im sure there is a solution. Maybe uninstalling usplash or whatever it called.
The question was not, how to disable splash screen but if the community prefers it or not.

For me, I hate these techie textscrolls that I have to see over and over again. I prefer nice bootup screens like fedora has.
I only want to see text when there actually went something wrong but I don't need text that's telling me that everything is ok.

khightower
May 25th, 2006, 10:01 PM
I also like what Fedora has as a bootsplash, I guess I am tired of looking at that brown Ubuntu Logo

Kvark
May 25th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I hate waiting for a slowly growing line but I also hate waiting for text scrolling by. Either way is equally annoying so which one doesn't matter. The only good "please wait" screen I've ever seen was a tiny space invader minigame to play while waiting for a bigger game to load. Can't remember which game it was that had that loading screen though.

I usually go to the bathroom or go get a drink after pushing the power button instead of just staring at the text.

Engnome
May 25th, 2006, 10:36 PM
The only good "please wait" screen I've ever seen was a tiny space invader minigame to play while waiting for a bigger game to load. Can't remember which game it was that had that loading screen though.

Ever tried installing The Sims 2? (yeah I know, it was for my sister. Promise!) There is a minigame that is actually not a "mini" game at all that you can play while waiting for the looooong install to finish.

I back to off topic;)
Personally I'd actually like ta have a nicer prettier boot screen. The current one looks like crap compared to the hi res XP boot screen.

drizek
May 26th, 2006, 12:26 AM
you can also play games while installing ubuntu now with the live cd.

and the xp boot screen is far from being high-res, its a POS thats WAY behind bootsplash. i guess you could say that the ubuntu THEME isnt all that great, but just look at what fedora/suse/gentoo have.

prizrak
May 26th, 2006, 12:39 AM
The boot screen is introduced because there was some notion in the community that scrolling boot messages would scare/confuse the non techie users. The bootsplash is pure **** of course even on Dapper I really wish they'd made a better one. I personally believe that the bootsplash should be included for the non-geeks to have something to look at (as long as they make a better one). Us geeks can easily turn it off it takes like 3 seconds.

Sammi
May 26th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Have you guys seen the newest bootsplash in Dapper Drake? It changed just a few days ago when i did an apt-get upgrade. Looks more professional. Like there has been done more work on it. I don't know... I just like it!

prizrak
May 26th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Have you guys seen the newest bootsplash in Dapper Drake? It changed just a few days ago when i did an apt-get upgrade. Looks more professional. Like there has been done more work on it. I don't know... I just like it!
Not too sure I played around with Flight 7 LiveCD it had a fairly boring splash.