PDA

View Full Version : [other] Ubuntu into Vaio PCG Z505LE, no OS

majroj
August 4th, 2011, 05:29 AM
G'Day,
I bought a used VAIO PCG 532A (aka Z505LE) which due to licensing had the OS and all data removed. It has a hard drive and a floppy drive, I just found out how to get into the BIOS (press F3 then F2 just as the hard drive spools up), but there is no option to boot from USB flash drive (where my UBUNTU download currently resides).

Is there a basic set of UBUNTU files I can copy to a floppy from the flash drive which make it possible to boot, and finally load, from the flash drive?

dino99
August 4th, 2011, 07:37 AM
here is how to make an install:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=10161428&postcount=2

look at "installation without a cd -> install with floppies":
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation

majroj
August 5th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Thanks DINO99 I'll try those.

majroj
August 5th, 2011, 07:26 AM
Don't mean to play "What About..."-"Yes, But...", however the two previous suggestions seem to be nonstarters because this is a stand-alone laptop (ergo, no network yet) and the OS is completely erased, so it can't boot into an OS which can be then replaced.

Maybe it's because I'm not a programmer or able/into writing or typing code, what I'm looking for are the files comprising Ubuntu's bare bones, preferably to comprise one self-booting old 1.4 MB floppy, to give me the UBUNTU OS to allow me to change the boot drive to USB, then plug in that to get the "whole meal deal".

Quackers
August 5th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Some Vaio's don't recognise some flash drives as flash drives. Mine recognises one of my flash drives as a USB HDD. Try that option in bios. You may have toenable booting from external devices first, in the bios.

majroj
August 5th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Thanks Quackers! Mine is an OLD Vaio (circa 2001, old in "computer years"), and it only lists C:, CD ROM and floppy as boot options. I do not have a CD ROM hooked up yet, and in fact have not been able to test the umbilical-attached floppy drive due to not having acces to BIOS.

As I spent $40 on this and just want it mostly as a portable internet access, any expense on it which I can't use on other computers is essentially too much, I'll cut my losses and buy a netbook or new little laptop.

I considered copying the entire UBUNTU program to floppy then booting, but other than the sheer size of the undertaking, I would need to make sure I was loading programs in the proper order. Maybe if the program was stripped of any bells and whistles it can be trimmed down to a manageable size for a floppy load, then I can direct it to recognize the USB to load the rest?

majroj
August 5th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I found a possible solution, will try it out tyhis evening. Good old E-How:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2138434_ubuntu-boot-disk.html

whatthefunk
August 5th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Im on an old Viao PCG-SRX3S. I seriously doubt that yours will run Ubuntu...mine doesnt. I would try Lubuntu. Its what I use on mine and its the best Ive found. I dont know how you would get it onto a floppy though....what kind of ports do you have? Firewire (S400)?

majroj
August 6th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Ports...

"On main unit: USB (2), i.LINKŪ (IEEE 1394) S400,
audio in, headphone out, RJ-11 phone jack,
Memory Stick, RJ-45 10Base-T/100Base-TX Ethernet
On port replicator (supplied): Parallel, serial,
VGA output, i.LINKŪ (IEEE 1394) S400, USB"

whatthefunk
August 6th, 2011, 06:29 AM
You have a firewire. You can pick up CD drives for those for pretty cheap I think. Thats how I got Lubuntu on my system. Before you run off and buy something Id check compatibility.

majroj
August 7th, 2011, 02:12 AM
I know just the place and I can bring in my "bargain" to try it out. Thanks.

majroj
August 8th, 2011, 10:36 PM
G'Dang it, I downloded LUBUNTU but I can't extract it with JZIP. WINZIP not working on this borrowed computer. I'm back to paying someone to TRY to load a OS onto the laptop's harddrive.
Oh, well, everyone needs a hobby. Thanks.

whatthefunk
August 8th, 2011, 11:13 PM
You shouldnt need to unzip anything. Simply download the iso file and burn it onto a disk.
http://lubuntu.net/blog/lubuntu-1104-released

majroj
August 9th, 2011, 03:36 AM
thanks again whatthefunk, could be. I saved it on this computer to a jump drive, carried the drive to another computer and put it on floppy, then took floppy to disk drive plugged into the multiport plugged into the Sony. Laptop does not seem to recognize the floppy drive. May go to repair/surplus store tomorrow for a last chance.