PDA

View Full Version : Openbox 3.5 released

urukrama
August 3rd, 2011, 08:51 PM
For all you Openbox lovers: Openbox 3.5 has been released. Download it here (http://openbox.org/wiki/Openbox:Download). The changelog is fairly brief:

* New alt-tab dialog shows windows in a vertical list.
* Improved Xinerama support.
* Allow icons in menus.
* Theme options for prompt dialogs (osd.button.unpressed.*, osd.button.pressed.*, osd.button.focused.*)
* Addresses bug #4877, #4596, #4617, #4752, #4663, #4662, #4586, #2319, #4341, #4519, #4543, #4503, #4355, #4072, #3702, #4284
* Lots of additional bug fixes and performance improvements.

medic2000
August 3rd, 2011, 08:58 PM
As an openbox fan and faithful user i applaud this update! Openbox the ultimate desktop experience!

TeoBigusGeekus
August 3rd, 2011, 09:01 PM
As an openbox fan and faithful user i applaud this update! Openbox the ultimate desktop experience!

+1

* Allow icons in menus.

Hmm... wouldn't that make openbox -a tiny bit I admit- slower?

mips
August 3rd, 2011, 09:13 PM
Will check it out when it hits the Arch repos ;)

urukrama
August 3rd, 2011, 09:31 PM

Openbox already had icons in menus, just not the root menu. The client menu, which had icons in earlier versions, was not noticeably slower to load than the root menu.

TeoBigusGeekus
August 3rd, 2011, 09:33 PM
Openbox already had icons in menus, just not the root menu. The client menu, which had icons in earlier versions, was not noticeably slower to load than the root menu.

Alright, cool!!!
I love openbox...

el_koraco
August 3rd, 2011, 09:42 PM
Gotta say, two weeks with CrunchBang, and I can safely claim I've never used such a user friendly WM or DE as Openbox.

Lightstar
August 3rd, 2011, 11:32 PM
+1

As long as we can customize and put that option on or off, I'd be happy with icons. If it does get slower, turn it off, yeah?

I'm pro-options!
I love linux for that.

drawkcab
August 4th, 2011, 03:57 AM
I used to be such an xfce fan. Nowadays Openbox & LXDE get the job done quite nicely and I have little use for xfce except for Thunar.

jwmollman
August 9th, 2011, 09:41 PM
I used to be such an xfce fan. Nowadays Openbox & LXDE get the job done quite nicely and I have little use for xfce except for Thunar.

I agree. I'm always switching between Xfce and Openbox (with tint2) on my netbook.

I do love Thunar as a file manager with Openbox, but when I install it, it brings in so many other Xfce packages with it totaling some 35MB or so (can't remember off the top of my head). Is there a way to install Thunar without all of those dependencies, and just use the file manager as a file browser, or is all those things required? I don't need things like xfce4-panel with Openbox.

Madspyman
August 9th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Nice Openbox is the best.

el_koraco
August 9th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I agree. I'm always switching between Xfce and Openbox (with tint2) on my netbook.

I do love Thunar as a file manager with Openbox, but when I install it, it brings in so many other Xfce packages with it totaling some 35MB or so (can't remember off the top of my head). Is there a way to install Thunar without all of those dependencies, and just use the file manager as a file browser, or is all those things required? I don't need things like xfce4-panel with Openbox.

If you-re using a Debian based distro, use the command

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends thunar

XubuRoxMySox
August 9th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Will the new one work in Lucid? I'm having to stay with LTS releases.

I Loved Openbox on Crunchbang 9.04 back about um, a year and a half ago now I guess. Ultralight, right-click simplicity!

-Robin
(signing just to tweak some people who complained about me signing my posts, lol)

jwmollman
August 10th, 2011, 12:47 AM
If you-re using a Debian based distro, use the command

sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends thunar

Wow, it's as easy as that? Thanks!

I do remember a command like that when trying out LXDE a while back, when I didn't want all the packages that came with it.

el_koraco
August 10th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Wow, it's as easy as that? Thanks!

I do remember a command like that when trying out LXDE a while back, when I didn't want all the packages that came with it.

It tells the package manager to include only the necessary stuff. No idea how much it will pull along, though. Edit: just checked it out, you'll avoid installing these:

Recommends: hal
Recommends: dbus-x11
Recommends: gamin
Recommends: xfce4-panel
Recommends: xfce4-panel
Recommends: thunar-volman
Recommends: xdg-user-dirs

el_koraco
August 10th, 2011, 01:34 AM
Will the new one work in Lucid? I'm having to stay with LTS releases.

People have installed it on Squeeze, so it should work. And as I've seen on the site, it has a short list of dependencies.