PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] NEED HELP!! Installing 10.04 on HP Compaq NX9030

astoit1323
August 3rd, 2011, 06:48 PM
Hi there guys, I'm a newbie at Ubuntu and im trying to install it on my old laptop (specs below) and I am having a bit of a problem.

I started by attempting to install 11.04 from both a USB and a CD. At first, a command prompt opened up telling me to "type 'help' for more commands" and giving me the problem. I didn't know what to do, so I tried installing from inside of Windows instead. It had installed it and it needed me to restart the laptop. I restarted and I booted Ubuntu, and the "home screen" and startup music played. After a few minutes, a message appeared, saying that "The Installer encountered an unrecoverable error and must reboot." I rebooted and the same error appears. If someone can fix this problem, that would be greatly appreciated.

So, today I found that my laptop can handle the 10.04 version, so I downloaded it and made a CD and USB. I tried to boot both the CD and USB, but after the loading screen, a blank black screen appears and stays there for a long time. If anyone could help fix this problem, that would be great.

UPDATE!!: I found that i can access the System Settings and other "Top Bar Functions" if I dont click OK on the "unrecoverable error" message when installing 11.04, and an option that says Install Ubuntu 11.04 is in the control center. When I Click on it an error message pops up that says: "Failed to run /usr/bin/ubiquity 'gtk_ui' as user root. Unable to copy the user's Xauthorization file." Any fixes for this???

Specs:
HP Compaq nx9030
Intel Pentium M Processor 1500MHz
599MHz
RAM: 256MB