PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Preparing to Install Ubuntu" ... LOOP

Michael_D_E
August 3rd, 2011, 05:45 PM
I am trying to INSTALL Ubuntu 11.04 on my Motion Computing Tablet PC Model 1400.

It was running Windows XP Professional until Monday when it suddenly went into a BOOT LOOP. I successfully booted Ubuntu using the LiveCD and copied my important documents to a USB Stick... NOW I WOULD LIKE TO INSTALL UBUNTU AND CLEAN WIPE THE COMPUTER AT THE SAME TIME...

The result I am looking for is to have this computer running only Ubuntu 11.04 to perform the following:

Internet Use
Music Playing (Itunes, LastFM, etc...)
View Pictures
Video Playing (YouTube, etc...)
Open Office
Google (mail, phone, chat, video call, etc...)
Facebook

THE PROBLEM
I reach the "Preparing to Install Ubuntu" screen... all the recommended settings are checked GREEN, and then I click INSTALL, and the Ubunto WHEEL keeps going round and round and round in a seemingly endless loop... admittedly I left it going for only a few hours before shutting it down.

I have tried checking the two options to "download updates while installing" and "install the third party software during install" AND I have tried doing it unchecked, both with the same result.

Any suggestions on how to install this OS?

Thank you!

irv
August 3rd, 2011, 05:56 PM
Have you booted into the live OS from the CD/USB?
From your list, if you are running just Ubuntu you will not be able to use iTunes. Linux does not support it but there are other Apps you can use.

Michael_D_E
August 3rd, 2011, 05:59 PM
Have you booted into the live OS from the CD/USB?
From your list, if you are running just Ubuntu you will not be able to use iTunes. Linux does not support it but there are other Apps you can use.
Hello irv
Yes I have successfully booted using the LiveCD... and was able to use the OS to copy my documents to a USB Stick.

If Itunes is not an option, that is not really a problem... we will use something else to listen to music or just listen to our ipod/stereo.

irv
August 3rd, 2011, 06:17 PM
Hello irv
Yes I have successfully booted using the LiveCD... and was able to use the OS to copy my documents to a USB Stick.

If Itunes is not an option, that is not really a problem... we will use something else to listen to music or just listen to our ipod/stereo.

If you can boot to the live OS then you should be able to install it. Do you have a Internet connection when you are using the live OS? If you do you should be able to install. Maybe just give it more time, but I don't think it should take that long. Do you see anything on the screen when it is installing?

Michael_D_E
August 3rd, 2011, 07:07 PM
just the ubuntu wheel going round and round...

irv
August 3rd, 2011, 08:16 PM
just the ubuntu wheel going round and round...

Which version are you trying to install?

Michael_D_E
August 3rd, 2011, 08:27 PM
which version are you trying to install?

irv
August 3rd, 2011, 09:32 PM

If you continue to have problems with 11.04, try to install 10.04 it is the Long term release. If it installs you can always do the upgrades to get to 11.04 if that's where you want to be.
I just can't understand why 11.04 does not install? You could also try Xubuntu 11.04 with Xfce DE.

I didn't care for the Unity desktop, so I installed Xubuntu because I wanted the Xfce DE. I have now installed Gnome 3, and I like it better then Unity. Maybe the next release of Unity will be better.

Michael_D_E
August 3rd, 2011, 10:04 PM
If you continue to have problems with 11.04, try to install 10.04 it is the Long term release. If it installs you can always do the upgrades to get to 11.04 if that's where you want to be.
I just can't understand why 11.04 does not install? You could also try Xubuntu 11.04 with Xfce DE.

I didn't care for the Unity desktop, so I installed Xubuntu because I wanted the Xfce DE. I have now installed Gnome 3, and I like it better then Unity. Maybe the next release of Unity will be better.

HMMM... I could try that... shame I have to download and burn a new ISO to get this to work but I can't see any other option either...

What is "Xfce DE"? I am not familiar with that, or with Unity or with Gnome 3...

irv
August 3rd, 2011, 11:46 PM
HMMM... I could try that... shame I have to download and burn a new ISO to get this to work but I can't see any other option either...

What is "Xfce DE"? I am not familiar with that, or with Unity or with Gnome 3...

I just got to thinking, Even though you could boot into the live OS, maybe the install part of the download got corrupted. Did you check the CD for errors after you burned it.

Michael_D_E
August 4th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I just got to thinking, Even though you could boot into the live OS, maybe the install part of the download got corrupted. Did you check the CD for errors after you burned it.

Update... After running for 3 hours with the "Preparing to install Ubuntu" a message came up:

ubi-partman crashed
ubi-partman failed with exit code 141. Further information may be found in /var/log/syslog. Do you want to try running this step again before continuing? If you do not, your installation may fail entirely or may be broken.
QUIT...CONTINUE ANYWAY...TRY AGAIN

Any thoughts from the knowledge community here?

irv
August 4th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Update... After running for 3 hours with the "Preparing to install Ubuntu" a message came up:

ubi-partman crashed
ubi-partman failed with exit code 141. Further information may be found in /var/log/syslog. Do you want to try running this step again before continuing? If you do not, your installation may fail entirely or may be broken.
QUIT...CONTINUE ANYWAY...TRY AGAIN

Any thoughts from the knowledge community here?

There were some bug reports on the beta releases of 11.04. You didn't download a beta version of 11.04? if not, then try to download and burn a new iso. You might have a bad download.

Michael_D_E
August 4th, 2011, 12:28 AM
irv... thanks for your attentiveness! at this point i think that may be a good idea since i think i did download a BETA... i will look and do a new download and ISO and burn it.

will be back tomorrow with an update.

irv
August 4th, 2011, 01:36 AM
irv... thanks for your attentiveness! at this point i think that may be a good idea since i think i did download a BETA... i will look and do a new download and ISO and burn it.

Glad to be of some help. I am on the road today and tomorrow, will be back on line in a day or two.

irv
August 6th, 2011, 05:30 PM

Well, Michael did you ever get Ubuntu going?