View Full Version : [SOLVED] Trouble With DHCP, Traceroute, And Local Windows XP PC
August 3rd, 2011, 04:02 PM
I'm having trouble connecting to my Windows XP pc on my wired network, which is configured to use DHCP. Nslookup works fine. But if I run traceroute, giving it the IP address of my Windows XP pc, traceroute just shows asterisks, 30 lines of them, and exits. I can't telnet to it either. I can access other hosts, locally and on the internet, no problem. And from Windows 7, traceroute to the Windows XP pc works fine. It's just a problem on my workstation running Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal. My /etc/network/intefaces looks like this:
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet dhcpI'm stumped. Any ideas???
August 3rd, 2011, 04:53 PM
I take it that all the PCs are connected to a router, hub or switch?
You wouldn't expect to be able to telnet to the XP PC, unless you've set up a telnet server on it.
The Win7 may get a response where the UBuntu doesn't because of (for example) firewall settings.
I'd start with simple pings (try both ways), and then go on from there.
August 3rd, 2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks for your response. All the PCs are connected to a switch, and a Westell 2200 DSL modem/router. Regarding telnet, you're absolutely right, I don't have the telnet server running. But I should get a "connection refused" right away. Instead, it hangs and then times out. Maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned the telnet issue, because it's a distraction. I'm not really worried about getting telnet working. The fact that traceroute isn't giving a meaningful response is more the issue. I tried ping... no response.
August 3rd, 2011, 07:39 PM
so, ping name , and ping IP address:
one of those should work if routing is set up and firewalls aren't obstructing. The modem/router should take care of the routing, which leaves firewalls (if all the ports etc are working).
August 3rd, 2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks Derek. It was the firewall on the Windows XP pc. I don't know why traceroute to the Windows XP pc worked when originating from Win 7, and not from Ubuntu, but it seems the problem is solved now. And I didn't think traceroute actually needed connectivity to the target host, but just elicited information from the routers along the way. Thanks for your help!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2016 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.