PDA

View Full Version : Best programming language for Ubuntu?

QuantumMonkey
August 3rd, 2011, 03:17 PM
I really like making programs to extend my knowledge of computers and to help people, and I recently moved from Windows 7 to Ubuntu, and I was wondering what programming language I should start with for Ubuntu.

If it matters, I know quite a lot of C#, but I know that it's only for windows since it requires the .net framework :P

worseisworser
August 3rd, 2011, 03:38 PM
With regards to C# there's Mono: http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page

With regards to "best language for the Ubuntu or Linux platform"; this totally depends on what you want to do.

nmaster
August 3rd, 2011, 04:03 PM
I really like making programs to extend my knowledge of computers and to help people

to extend your knowledge, learn assembly: http://www.cafepress.com/bartlettpublish.8640017
full text: http://download.savannah.gnu.org/releases/pgubook/
there are other books available; i've never used this one and don't really have any specific recommendations

to write useful applications easily... there are a lot of options and it depends on what you want to do. lots of people are going to suggest python and its a fine choice. just remember that a programming language is a tool and you should always choose the right choose for the task at hand.

cgroza
August 3rd, 2011, 04:28 PM
I know python is used a lot in Ubuntu. If you look around, many applets, tools and apps are written in python. C and C++ are popular too.

DangerOnTheRanger
August 3rd, 2011, 07:12 PM
I'd go with Python, mainly because not only does it work pretty much everywhere (http://www.python.org/download/other/) (like C/C++), it:

Does what you tell it to do
Tells you what went wrong without a debugger (instead of just printing "Segmentation fault" and giving up the ghost)
Almost looks like regular English
Has the best design-to-production time of any language I've seen

karlson
August 3rd, 2011, 08:04 PM
I really like making programs to extend my knowledge of computers and to help people, and I recently moved from Windows 7 to Ubuntu, and I was wondering what programming language I should start with for Ubuntu.

If it matters, I know quite a lot of C#, but I know that it's only for windows since it requires the .net framework :P

You are going about it from the wrong end. You should be asking what is the best language for the problem you are trying to solve. Ubuntu has the ability to compile or interpret quite a bit of different programming languages.

So for some problems C++ might be the answer, C for others, C# for others, Fortran, Python, Ruby, Perl, Erlang, R, Haskell.....

nvteighen
August 3rd, 2011, 09:21 PM
Read the stickies, please.

llanitedave
August 4th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Best programming language for Ubuntu?

All of them.

Bachstelze
August 4th, 2011, 03:44 AM
Best programming language for Ubuntu?

All of them.

If the Tao is great, then the operating system is great. If the
operating system is great, then the compiler is great. If the compiler
is great, then the application is great. If the application is great, then
the user is pleased and there is harmony in the world.
The Tao gave birth to machine language. Machine language gave birth
to the assembler.
The assembler gave birth to the compiler. Now there are ten thousand
languages.
Each language has its purpose, however humble. Each language
expresses the Yin and Yang of software. Each language has its place within
the Tao.
But do not program in COBOL if you can avoid it.
-- Geoffrey James, "The Tao of Programming"

fdrake
August 4th, 2011, 03:46 AM
I am not sayng is the most important language to use n ubuntu but is the one that you HAVE to know/learn if you want to use linux: BASH

Bachstelze
August 4th, 2011, 03:50 AM
I am not sayng is the most important language to use n ubuntu but is the one that you HAVE to know/learn if you want to use linux: BASH

I have used Linux for 5+ years, and I know zero Bash.

EDIT: Unless you include POSIX sh in it, of course.

EDIT 2: And even of that, I don't know a lot. I've never written a shell script containing more than 20 lines. The knowledge of shell scripting is far from essential to anyone who is not a sysadmin (which, thank goodness, I am not).

fdrake
August 4th, 2011, 03:54 AM
I have used Linux for 5+ years, and I know zero Bash.

EDIT: Unless you include POSIX sh in it, of course.

well, what i meant is the use of the terminal for every-day's tasks.

Bachstelze
August 4th, 2011, 04:30 AM
well, what i meant is the use of the terminal for every-day's tasks.

Then that's not really Bash. ;) Any shell works, and generally when people mention shell in programming contexts, they mean writing programs in the form of shell scripts. It's useful to know the basics, but not to go too deep in it unless you have a good reason to. It's not even all that interesting (yes, this is subjective).

stchman
August 4th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Java would be a good choice. Since you know a lot of C# it wouldn't be a big stretch for you.

Java can create truly platform independent programs as well.

directhex
August 4th, 2011, 09:26 AM

There are three C# apps by default on Ubuntu. If you like C#, you can stick with it.

directhex
August 4th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Java would be a good choice. Since you know a lot of C# it wouldn't be a big stretch for you.

Java can create truly platform independent programs as well.

C# can create truly platform independent programs. So can Java. C# can create single-platform apps. So can Java. The devil's in the details.

stchman
August 4th, 2011, 10:10 PM
C# can create truly platform independent programs. So can Java. C# can create single-platform apps. So can Java. The devil's in the details.

My biggest thing is that C# is a Microsoft proprietary programming language while Java is more open source friendly. The JDK (either openJDK or SUN/Oracle) was specifically made for Linux while Mono is a reverse engineered (very well done) .NET framework.

cgroza
August 5th, 2011, 01:09 AM
My biggest thing is that C# is a Microsoft proprietary programming language while Java is more open source friendly. The JDK (either openJDK or SUN/Oracle) was specifically made for Linux while Mono is a reverse engineered (very well done) .NET framework.
The C# language is open source. It has an ISO specification. Maybe you mean the .NET implementation of the C# language is closed source.

directhex
August 5th, 2011, 01:12 AM

C# is a spec registered with multiple international standards bodies. Java isn't.

DependencyHell
August 5th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Then that's not really Bash. :wink: Any shell works, and generally when people mention shell in programming contexts, they mean writing programs in the form of shell scripts. It's useful to know the basics, but not to go too deep in it unless you have a good reason to. It's not even all that interesting (yes, this is subjective).

Hmm...i am just getting into shell and C combination (i know well only C++ and C for now).
But this combination looks very powerful to me! I believe that one must choose the language most intuitive for one's reasoning.

Bachstelze
August 5th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I believe that one must choose the language most intuitive for one's reasoning.

Certainly. And shell has never been intuitive for me. To each their own. ;)