PDA

View Full Version : iPhone jailbreaks use a debian packaging system?

u-noob-tu
August 3rd, 2011, 03:12 PM
i just jailbroke my ipod touch for the first time yesterday, and i was surprised at how much stuff i recognised form using Ubuntu. I guess i shouldnt be surprised, though, given that Linux is based off of UNIX, which is what MacOS is based off of (and subsequently, iOS). i was also surprised to see that when installing apps from cydia, it has a terminal like screen that tells you what is going on. it also looks like .deb packages are being installed. and the description for cydia is "a graphical frontend for APT". i thought that was pretty cool, to see open source stuff on such a closed platform.

PS. I have never jailbroken before, so i have no idea what the good apps and tweaks are, so any suggestions are welcome :P

aeiah
August 3rd, 2011, 03:17 PM
yup, looks like cydia is a gui for apt, and dpkg is used as the packaging system, according to wikipedia. there's no reason apt couldnt be used with any operating system really, its just a way of distributing software

dniMretsaM
August 3rd, 2011, 04:39 PM
Yep, ever since Cydia jailbroken iDevices have used the Debian system. That's the first place I'd ever heard of it and I didn't realize that it was from Linux for months afterwards. You can even install MobileTerminal which can do a lot of things you could do on a computer (copy files, install applications, log in as root, etc). It's really a nice setup. Send me a PM if you have any questions. I have a fairly decent knowledge of the JB scene, so I might be able to answer them. Also, I can PM you a list of good apps/tweaks if you want.

u-noob-tu
August 3rd, 2011, 05:50 PM
Yep, ever since Cydia jailbroken iDevices have used the Debian system. That's the first place I'd ever heard of it and I didn't realize that it was from Linux for months afterwards. You can even install MobileTerminal which can do a lot of things you could do on a computer (copy files, install applications, log in as root, etc). It's really a nice setup. Send me a PM if you have any questions. I have a fairly decent knowledge of the JB scene, so I might be able to answer them. Also, I can PM you a list of good apps/tweaks if you want.
yes, please send me a list of the best stuff on cydia. im a little lost at the moment.

dniMretsaM
August 3rd, 2011, 06:02 PM
Sent. Also note that all of the apps listed are free. If you want some good paid applications, I can send you that too. I usually don't send people that info because I don't want them wasting the money if they end up unjailbreaking in a week.

u-noob-tu
August 3rd, 2011, 06:14 PM
Received. i have a question, though. i got the custom boot logo addon but it doesnt seem to be working. its still the white apple logo.

dniMretsaM
August 3rd, 2011, 06:17 PM
Um, what version of iOS are you running (Settings -> General -> About -> Version) and what's the name of the application you installed?

u-noob-tu
August 3rd, 2011, 06:31 PM
iOS 4.3.3 (used jailbreakme.com) and the app is called bootlogo. there is a list of boot screens to choose from, i have two defaults and two added. but it always shows the white apple logo.

dniMretsaM
August 3rd, 2011, 06:38 PM
Install animate fix for iOS 4.x.x (it will also install animate as a dependency). That should allow you to get custom boot logos.

u-noob-tu
August 3rd, 2011, 06:46 PM
that did it. its slow, but it works.

dniMretsaM
August 3rd, 2011, 07:23 PM
that did it. its slow, but it works.

You mean the animation is slow or that it doesn't show up right away?

u-noob-tu
August 3rd, 2011, 07:26 PM
You mean the animation is slow or that it doesn't show up right away?
the animation is slow.

dniMretsaM
August 3rd, 2011, 07:31 PM
the animation is slow.

That's just the logo. Some animations work pretty good, some don't. If it's a larger image with more frames, it will take longer. Nothing you can really do about it except choose a different one. I actually had a Linux penguin for a while.

u-noob-tu
August 3rd, 2011, 07:32 PM
That's just the logo. Some animations work pretty good, some don't. If it's a larger image with more frames, it will take longer. Nothing you can really do about it except choose a different one. I actually had a Linux penguin for a while.
ha, the one im currently using is a spinning ubuntu logo.

dniMretsaM
August 3rd, 2011, 07:37 PM
Nice. Eventually animate will probably be updated to increase performance, but I'm not sure how long until that day arrives.

t0p
August 3rd, 2011, 07:45 PM
i just jailbroke my ipod touch for the first time yesterday, and i was surprised at how much stuff i recognised form using Ubuntu. I guess i shouldnt be surprised, though, given that Linux is based off of UNIX, which is what MacOS is based off of (and subsequently, iOS).

Is iOS really a *nix?

u-noob-tu
August 3rd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Is iOS really a *nix?
if im not mistaken, it actually is.

dniMretsaM
August 3rd, 2011, 08:00 PM
if im not mistaken, it actually is.

You are correct. Darwin foundations.