PDA

View Full Version : *buntu statistics

tommpogg
August 3rd, 2011, 01:34 PM
Where can I find statistics about the number of users running the different Ubuntu versions (Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc.)?
I expect that Ubuntu is far more used than other versions, but are there quantitative data?

sffvba[e0rt
August 3rd, 2011, 01:40 PM
Data like this is very speculative... doubt there will be anything concrete...

tommpogg
August 3rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
I just need a rough estimation to satisfy my curiosity

3Miro
August 3rd, 2011, 03:27 PM
You can try distrowatch, but like everything else on the subject, this is very unreliable.

cariboo
August 3rd, 2011, 04:10 PM
I know Mark Shuttleworth stated at UDS-N that there were about 12 million Ubuntu users, and at UDS-O he said his goal was to have 200 million Ubuntu users in 4 years.

jerrrys
August 3rd, 2011, 04:16 PM
so can the rest of us get access to these facts?

cariboo
August 3rd, 2011, 04:23 PM
@jerrrys

Just search for the UDS-N and UDS-O keynote speeches, there are so many links, I won't bother posting any here.

jerrrys
August 3rd, 2011, 04:27 PM
thanks

BrokenKingpin
August 3rd, 2011, 04:29 PM
You can try distrowatch, but like everything else on the subject, this is very unreliable.
This will at least give you a decent idea of how each popular each distro is and the split between the different Ubuntu derivatives.

I doubt you will be able to find reliable figures for this type of thing though.

jerrrys
August 3rd, 2011, 04:38 PM
i have a tough time the the 12 million of us part. my guess work puts ubuntu users at 2/3 million.

hoppipolla
August 3rd, 2011, 07:46 PM
Click my signature! lol

I knew it would come in useful someday!!! ^_^

cariboo
August 3rd, 2011, 07:53 PM
i have a tough time the the 12 million of us part. my guess work puts ubuntu users at 2/3 million.

I haven't got the email on this system, but I know Canonical counts unique ip addresses connecting to the repositories, that's where the 12 million users come from. In my case, I have 6 systems running Ubuntu, but I'm behind a router, so they only see my external ip address, which is the same for all the systems on my network.

The thing to keep in mind, is that the forums are only a small slice of the wider Ubuntu community, we have well over a million registered users, but there are quite a huge number of users that have never registered here, there is also a growing number of enterprise users, that we don't see here. In one of the same keynote speeches, Mark said they had just signed a contract with a Chinese manufacturers to ship 1,000,000 computers with Ubuntu installed, for the home market.

The only way I can see to get an accurate count of users would be to have the system phone home, just to say I'm here, but if you think the complaints about Unity were bad, just imagine the outrage if Canonical/Ubuntu implemented something like that for non-oem users.

jerrrys
August 3rd, 2011, 08:30 PM
ok, my guess work bites

cariboo
August 3rd, 2011, 09:33 PM
There's nothing wrong with guesstimates, we're all going to come up wrong, without some real facts.

jerrrys
August 3rd, 2011, 09:59 PM
yes, tis true. plus my day is not going well.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11115822#post11115822

cariboo
August 4th, 2011, 12:55 AM
I just had a look at the thread you linked to, it looks like a no win situation. :)

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 4th, 2011, 02:08 AM
On my website I can collect some statistics if the visitor allows JavaScript to run; however, I can only determine if someone is using Linux, a Mac OS, Microsoft Windows XP, or a Microsoft NT based OS; such as, Windows 2000 NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Vista, and Windows 7. I can detect if they are using the browsers IE, Firefox, Safari, or Chrome. I can also detect their monitor resolution. I can not determine what Distro of Linux they are running or how many computers and users are behind the same router IP Address.

I am sure I am not alone regarding the following statistics you may find on the Internet. I don't use Distrowatch; therefore, I would not be counted in the statistics from that website. I am not a register user of Linux or Ubuntu; therefore, I would not be counted in those statistics either. I have not encountered very many Linux or Ubuntu users that are registered.

I block JavaScript from running on most sites. My family and I have 9 or 10 computers running behind a router; therefore, they all look like one schizophrenic computer with an OS and browser identity problem. Most of the computers come with a Microsoft OS pre-installed; therefore, they appear from sales statistics to be running a Microsoft OS, when in fact, they may not. There aren't sales statistics for free Linux distros. Red Hat Enterprise Linux which is not free may have sales statistics; however, they are in the server business, and not the home computer desktop business.

Getting somewhat accurate information about the number of home computer desktop Linux users; especially, the Distro of Linux they are running, is not very likely, if at all possible. IMHO!

tommpogg
August 4th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Click my signature! lol

I knew it would come in useful someday!!! ^_^

That's more or less what I was looking for.

Isn't there any poll in this forum about *buntu statistics?