PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wifi on Ubuntu

ale.junuzovic
August 3rd, 2011, 11:33 AM
Ok, i m a complete newcomer on this. I downloaded Ubuntu now, want to get rid of Windows nd have a question. I have searched Google nd stuff but it s not clear, how to install wireless card? Its tp-link TL-WN722N , newest Ubuntu.

grahammechanical
August 3rd, 2011, 01:50 PM
Hi and welcome to the forums.

I am assuming that you have downloaded 11.04 but not yet installed it. Burn the iso file to CD/DVD and you should have a Live CD version of Ubuntu that will let you try out Ubuntu before you install it. This will let you test out if Ubuntu recognizes your wireless adapter.

You should see a network manager icon in the top panel. Click on it and see if there are any wireless networks listed as being in range. If so, then your wireless adapter is installed in Ubuntu.

Try selecting your wireless network. Enter the wireless key (pass phrase) and see if you get a connection to the router and from there on to the Internet. This is what you do when Ubuntu is first installed on the hard disk.

When you come to actually install Ubuntu to the machine, make sure that you have an ethernet connection to the router then the install process will do any updates as part of the install process.

Regards.

walt.smith1960
August 3rd, 2011, 03:56 PM
According to this:
http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TL-WN722N
your devices uses an AtherosAR9271 chipset. The likelihood of that working "out of the box" are very good IMO. You should be able to create a liveCD or liveUSB, boot the live whatever, click on "try" and let it install. You may see a wireless icon -looks like several stacked arcs - in the upper right corner. If you see that icon and it's not grayed out, your wifi adapter is recognized. Click it and your network will show up if SSID broadcast is enabled. Establish a network connection then look at the desktop. There should be an "install Ubuntu" icon there.

I would not be in such a hurry to get rid of Windows unless disk space is short. Ubuntu can install beside windows and you can pick which one to use on startup. There are sad tales on this forum where people deleted windows, later needed windows and had no way to restore it. Ubuntu doesn't need a great deal of space to be functional -- 15 GB are enough, 30GB are ample unless you store lots of photos or videos.

ale.junuzovic
August 3rd, 2011, 10:40 PM
grahammechanical (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1087323); walt.smith1960

Guys, awesome it worked wery well. And grahammechanical was right, i didnt tryed it out just downloaded it. Now, everything is working perfectly. No need to such for stuff.

Thank you again, this can go now under solved.

walt.smith1960
August 4th, 2011, 02:33 PM
grahammechanical (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1087323); walt.smith1960

Guys, awesome it worked wery well. And grahammechanical was right, i didnt tryed it out just downloaded it. Now, everything is working perfectly. No need to such for stuff.

Thank you again, this can go now under solved.

Excellent, I'm glad it worked for you. The joys of selecting the right hardware :D.