PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Thank you, Thank you

teia
May 24th, 2006, 11:02 PM
One week ago my windows computer crashed and burned AGAIN!!! I went bananas and the little hair I had left is now gone for ever. But then I came to think of Linux and a friend of mine told me about this Ubuntu distro.

I went for it.

45 minutes later I had the Ubuntu system up and running for the first time. The first five minutes i sat there thinking something was wrong. Nothing was happening. I thought, is it finished?? Did I do something wrong? Did I miss something?
But no, the installation was complete and I didn't even have to install the service pack? Then the fun started. I started looking for my hardware...

Screen - check
Three drives - check
DVD - check
Soundcard - check
Graphics - check
Network - check
Keyboard - check
Mouse - check
Beer - check:-D

Is this really true? YES!!! I know it's crazy but it is actually true. Everything worked, and still do!!!

All the software I need are found on the dvd or internet, my computer seems to have doubled the power and I feel really satisfied. My day with the computer is changed totally and I never knew it could be like this.
No viruses
No spyware
No Ok, Ok, Ok, Ok........
No nag about updates
No stupid dog asking if you need help
No blue screens
No BILL GATES](*,)
And last but sure as hell not least NO anger over feeling cheated by the american bosses with their blue sutes.

Well I guess i've been lucky with my hardware and setup, but I have to say THANK YOU to all of you people out there busting you're butts to make this system work. You've done it, and you've done it well!!:mrgreen:

Teia

glinsvad
May 24th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Well I guess i've been lucky with my hardware and setup, but I have to say THANK YOU to all of you people out there busting you're butts to make this system work. You've done it, and you've done it well!!:mrgreen:

I second that motion - we have an old saying: "There's no better lunch than the FREE lunch" :mrgreen:

No stupid dog asking if you need help

He he well put. First time I saw it is was like [-(. Ubuntu has a fish called Wanda though, but thats just for company I guess...

What I like the most about Ubuntu is
- no rebooting just to install a stupid little text editor
- no manually checking for updates for every little app you've installed
- whenever, wherever and for whatever (no phun intended, so cool it Shakira) you need some help, the community is ready, willing and able

Applause =D>

Engnome
May 25th, 2006, 12:49 AM
- no rebooting just to install a stupid little text editor

Yeah I like that alot, although it feels like that "restart requiered" notification is displayed more often now. Probably my imagination but in breezy it only popped up after you installed a new kernel. In dapper it feels like it pops up more often. Far from XP wich had to be rebooted sometimes several times in a row after system wide changes though. Maybe beacause dapper gets more updates?

teia
May 25th, 2006, 03:12 AM
This Ubuntu system is the most versatile I have ever seen, everything is tweakable and actually much more responsive than the Wirus XP. I have been struggling with Wirus versions since Wirus 3.0 and today I cleaned my office of three cases of software. Tomorrow morning they empty the trash and then it's bye bye.

The next time someone asks me for help with Windows I shall say: Eh....Windows, what's that???

Ok so I'm inexperianced with Linux, and I can't say that I know all that much about Ubuntu, but 18 years of struggling with Microsoft products gives me a reasonable amount of rights to say what I mean about the systems they have delivered over the years.

DOS 3.2 was ok. Since then they never quite got it right, and have made a mess out of everything they've touched.

Teia

djsroknrol
May 25th, 2006, 04:01 AM
I'd say I'm 95% MS free at this point (can't give up some of my games yet...I'll miss 'em when I do), and when I tell people I'm running Linux, they look at me like I'm crazy..."you're not running windows?"..."isn't that dificult to learn?"....it's only as hard as you make it...

ubuntu27
May 28th, 2006, 03:23 AM
Hello teia :) It's awesome to read other people experiences with this OS (specialyl if they overwrote their previous OS :P)

Judging from your Profile, you are running Ubuntu BREEZY

You will be surprise if you compare your current Ubuntu version with the Upcoming Ubuntu's Dapper Drake version :D

You can get the Release Candidate here: http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/dapperrc

You may also would like to wait until Dapper is released on 1st June before you upgrade :)

Your choice ;)

fuscia
May 28th, 2006, 03:39 AM
One week ago my windows computer crashed and burned AGAIN!!! I went bananas and the little hair I had left is now gone for ever.

sudo apt-get install toupe

it's just starting too. the more you learn, the more fun it gets. you're in for a nice experience.