PDA

View Full Version : BMW or Audi

KiwiNZ
August 3rd, 2011, 12:20 AM
I am thinking of replacing my Audi A6

Should I get another Audi thinking A5 Coupe or a BMW 528i SE or BMW 335i SE ?

Legendary_Bibo
August 3rd, 2011, 12:27 AM
What are you going for? Gas mileage, comfort, features, family car, etc.?

KiwiNZ
August 3rd, 2011, 12:27 AM
I am looking for people who have had real life experience of late model BMW's. I have experience of Audi's obviously but no experience with BMW's.

KiwiNZ
August 3rd, 2011, 12:29 AM
What are you going for? Gas mileage, comfort, features, family car, etc.?

All of the above with less emphasis on the Family thing, the kids are grown up and I use the SUV if I need to move the Grandchildren or the boat.

I would like to know about the reliability, the Audi has been trouble free.

Legendary_Bibo
August 3rd, 2011, 12:32 AM
All of the above with less emphasis on the Family thing, the kids are grown up and I use the SUV if I need to move the Grandchildren or the boat.

I would like to know about the reliability, the Audi has been trouble free.

I've had a few friends with BMWs, and they try to get rid of them as fast as possible. They've broken down for them too many times.

KiwiNZ
August 3rd, 2011, 12:38 AM
That is what my wife feels. She thinks BMW stands for Breaks down Mid Way

BeRoot ReBoot
August 3rd, 2011, 12:46 AM
You know what they say about Audi owners, they tend to form a really tight community, because they meet regularly in repair shops.

haqking
August 3rd, 2011, 01:03 AM

I have had Audis and BMW's. Currently a 2010 M3 and though i have neer liked the plastic kind of look to things in a BMW and have always loved the interirors of Audis, nothing drives quite like the M3 in the same bracket. Though do love the Audi A6's, tank of a luxury car, but nothing like the M3 pant dampeners ;-)

oh and i prefer Broke My Wallet

KiwiNZ
August 3rd, 2011, 01:10 AM
You know what they say about Audi owners, they tend to form a really tight community, because they meet regularly in repair shops.

Probably said by Kia owners

The only time my Audi has been in the Dealer is for its regular service.

BeRoot ReBoot
August 3rd, 2011, 01:10 AM
oh and i prefer Broke My Wallet

Alternatively, "Break My Windows".

LowSky
August 3rd, 2011, 01:19 AM

Funny story, my buddy hates his Nissan Altima because how bad it drives in the snow, when my other friend pointed out how worn down his tires were he said that shouldn't be the issue.

I own a VW GTI, and all my friends told me to avoid the company because of how often they break down, even my Altima friend (who now wants an Audi A4, haha). Mine has 82,000 miles and my only issue I had was needing to replace the coil packs, that I did myself. The Honda Civic I owed prior to my GTI was always breaking down, and yet everyone said Honda's last forever.

I say get the Audi. The A5 is an amazing car, and regardless of what people say about BMW they make great cars too. I think Audi makes a better looking car that performs just as good as any BMW if not better in that regard too.

The reason most people have bad reactions to their cars is because they don't do correct maintenance. So when the engine goes at 110,000 because they didn't replace the belt, or change the oil and the car seizes, they blame the manufacturer not themselves. What kills a car brand for me is service. If I walk into a dealership for service and I get the run around or don't do the work correctly it annoys me. And it is why I don't like Honda as a company. I understand dealerships are run privately but their technicians do have to perform up to Honda's specs and for my experience with 3 different dealerships the service was very poor. It killed Honda for me.

haqking
August 3rd, 2011, 01:21 AM
Alternatively, "Break My Windows".

ha well never had that problem.

Only break, scratch, dent i ever had in a car was from my ex wife who reversed my E46 M3 into a barrier becasue the reverse sensors kept speeding up as she got closer and it made her panic so she put her foot down.

notice i said EX wife ;-)

johnnybgoode83
August 3rd, 2011, 01:33 AM
My brother has an M3 and he always has to put it through the MOT (the UK vehicle test) several times, although that could be more to do with the fact he rags it no end but I'm not sure.

Personally I thing the Audis are better and more attractive cars

haqking
August 3rd, 2011, 01:37 AM
My brother has an M3 and he always has to put it through the MOT (the UK vehicle test) several times, although that could be more to do with the fact he rags it no end but I'm not sure.

Personally I thing the Audis are better and more attractive cars

of course he rags it, why buy it if not ;-)

as for MOT, then it as at least 3 years old and so a M3 that is 3 years old that has been ragged will certainly need a few things here and there, however as said above, maintenance is everything.

Beemers and Audis will run for 300K plus and still drive well, its all about how you look afte them, RAGGING or not

as for more attractive, there are some Audis i love the look of and same with Beemer, i love the look of the A5 from the back but hate the front, i hate the look of my car from the front unless i turn the wheels facing out..LOL

then again i hate the letter C being on a number plate so go figure (dont ask)

Inodoro Pereyra
August 3rd, 2011, 01:38 AM
Both Audi and BMW are German high end brands. As that, you can't go wrong with either one.
I agree with Lowsky in that any car is as good as the care you take of it. If properly maintained, both cars will last you a lifetime. But you will never have with an Audi the fun you will have with a BMW. Audis are engineered for transportation. BMW's are engineered to be a blast to drive.

@ Lowsky: whomever told you VW's break down often, doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. VW uses Audi engines, they're bulletproof. The only reason I don't like VW's is because they tend to under engineer the rest of the car. At least in my experience, VW's have very crappy handling, especially under bad weather conditions. Other than that, mechanically, they have very little to envy either BMW's or Audis.

johnnybgoode83
August 3rd, 2011, 01:48 AM
of course he rags it, why buy it if not ;-)

as for MOT, then it as at least 3 years old and so a M3 that is 3 years old that has been ragged will certainly need a few things here and there, however as said above, maintenance is everything.

Beemers and Audis will run for 300K plus and still drive well, its all about how you look afte them, RAGGING or not

as for more attractive, there are some Audis i love the look of and same with Beemer, i love the look of the A5 from the back but hate the front, i hate the look of my car from the front unless i turn the wheels facing out..LOL

then again i hate the letter C being on a number plate so go figure (dont ask)

I have never ragged a car but I take your point. One thing I hate is when people buy a diesel 3 or 5 series BMW and put an M badge on it or put an RS4 badge on an audi A4. What are some people thinkind

KiwiNZ
August 3rd, 2011, 02:22 AM
What is better on a long drive?

Dr. C
August 3rd, 2011, 02:35 AM
I own a 1985 BMW 735i which I purchased used in 1991 and still drives really well after 25+ years. I had the compression tested recently and it came as good as new. The secret is keeping up the maintenance and treating the car properly.

It is very much a driver's car and it really shines on the open road, long drives and the highway/freeway/motorway. I have taken it on 5000+ km drives across the United Stated and Canada, and driven it in temperatures ranging form -35 C to 35 C. The one thing it does not like is idling in big city traffic.

I cannot comment on the Audi.

gutterslob
August 3rd, 2011, 02:57 AM
It depends on what you're looking for in a car. You mention a coupe as one of your choices, so I assume you're after some level of sportiness/handling?

Not recent, but I did test-drive a 3 series coupe (330) and an A4 Quattro (can't remember the capacity, was the only test car at the showroom) around 3+ yrs ago, before settling on a Lexis IS 250 Sport. Reason was because I think of cars as A to B utilitarian tools these days, and the Lexus, while bland on the handling side (I ride 1000cc bikes, so all cars feel frumpy to me, tbh) had a decent level of kit, the best stereo by a long way (Mark Levinson) and also has better residual value in my part of the world.

Just by looking at the brands alone, I'd recommend the Audi over the BMW. They've got great build, smell better (for new cars, at least) and have a decent amount of kit at base price (in my country, at least). If it's pedigree you're after, well, Audi have won Le Mans quite a few times in the last decade, while BMW are F1 drop-outs. BMWs do have the benefit of being rear-wheel drive across their range (not sure about 1-series, though) while 4wd (Quattro) Audi models do command a premium over their Fwd counterparts.

KiwiNZ
August 3rd, 2011, 03:04 AM
I travel a lot, so I want a car that holds the road but does not ride so hard that you need dental repairs and back surgery after a 100kms.

I also don't want fatigue generators.

gutterslob
August 3rd, 2011, 03:15 AM
I travel a lot, so I want a car that holds the road but does not ride so hard that you need dental repairs and back surgery after a 100kms.

I also don't want fatigue generators.No Ariel Atom for you, then :P ... which is a shame since NZ has some very winding nice roads.

Seriously though, that's something you have to judge for yourself with a test-drive. Audis are a tad "softer" than BMWs, in my experience, though that depends on the model range as well.

With regards to fatigue, I know all the manufacturers go to great lengths to explain lumbar support and whatnot in their seats, but different people drive differently. Some seats (even the non-bucket ones) tend to force you into a certain position for best comfort, which might not be your desired position with regards to steering feel. It's a personal thing, that. I know you're recovering from a serious disability, so driving and seating comfort is probably a greater emphasis for you.

Inodoro Pereyra
August 3rd, 2011, 03:19 AM

Mazda.:lolflag:

Seriously though, you need to test drive them. They're both amazing cars. It will finally come down to your personal taste.

KiwiNZ
August 3rd, 2011, 03:30 AM
Mazda.:lolflag:

Seriously though, you need to test drive them. They're both amazing cars. It will finally come down to your personal taste.

My wife has a Mazda 3 MPS, it's very quick, corners as it is on rails, it does however suffer from torque steer. But it's a hoot to drive, of course it's red so it goes faster.

Inodoro Pereyra
August 3rd, 2011, 03:52 AM
My wife has a Mazda 3 MPS, it's very quick, corners as it is on rails, it does however suffer from torque steer. But it's a hoot to drive, of course it's red so it goes faster.

Yep. I had 4 Mazdas, and I'm a member of mx-3.com, mx-6.com, and the now extinct international Mazda Forums, so you could say I'm a bit of a fan...:biggrin:

drawkcab
August 3rd, 2011, 04:46 AM
Yep. I had 4 Mazdas, and I'm a member of mx-3.com, mx-6.com, and the now extinct international Mazda Forums, so you could say I'm a bit of a fan...:biggrin:

I own a Mazda 3 sport and, to be honest, I'd rather have my old Subaru station wagon.

Don't turn your nose up at a properly spec'd Legacy.

mips
August 3rd, 2011, 08:45 AM

I also don't want fatigue generators.

In that case I would say go for the Audi.

TeoBigusGeekus
August 3rd, 2011, 10:10 AM
Neither, go for a Mercedes.

nothingspecial
August 3rd, 2011, 11:04 AM
I'll ask also, why does it have to be a BMW or Audi?

If I were going to buy a car I'd buy a Jaguar.

But I have given up driving.

haqking
August 3rd, 2011, 11:46 AM

comfort and luxury and handling then go for an Audi, my M3 is ok but i always feel the need to put it through its paces which is costly over distance....LOL

Audi for comfort, not that the BMW isnt, then of course there is the 5 series in the BMW which then brings you back to comfort and handling etc like the audi.

It is all personal preference, take a some test drives then go from there

fatality_uk
August 3rd, 2011, 12:21 PM
I am thinking of replacing my Audi A6

Should I get another Audi thinking A5 Coupe or a BMW 528i SE or BMW 335i SE ?

Hi Kiwi,

I would suggest the 528i SE. I've had an A4, A6, M3, A5 (on test), and a 5 series and of all of them, the 5 series is hands down the winner. It's a great drivers car, doesn't feel like the big ol beast that it is really.

The equipment levels are much higher in the BMW, my A6, which was a lot of money had to be "upgraded" to get leather, sat-nav etc.

Don't know if you have, or are planning kids (consideration for me as my first is due Oct) but the 5 series is easier to lug all the kit needed to support a toddler.

I am actually testing a Lexus IS tonight, but I think I might go for a 5 series as my new company car.

KiwiNZ
August 4th, 2011, 01:22 AM
The BMW Dealership is giving me a 528i to use over the weekend. I will be able to get a good idea of what it is like.

realzippy
August 4th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Well,it is just a question of taste...
Don 't know if google translator does a good job here,
but there are plenty of tests in german car magazines of course.
Eg: BMW 335i vs Audi A5 (http://www.autobild.de/artikel/bmw-3er-coupe-gegen-audi-a5-318618.html)
ok,this is 4 years ago,but you didn 't mention if you want a new car.

If you are interested in breakdown statistics by the german automobil club:

http://www.adac.de/infotestrat/unfall-schaeden-und-panne/pannenstatistik/

edit:
Btw,
doesn 't it hurt to drive such a car in a country with a speed limit?
edit2:
OMG,it is
100 kph (62 mph)....thought it was at least 130 kpH.
In germany this is the limit for the small roads...
Isn 't it a waste of resources to buy a pretty fast car for that allowed top speed ?

KiwiNZ
August 4th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Btw,
edit2:
OMG,it is
Isn 't it a waste of resources to buy a pretty fast car for that allowed top speed ?

Easily answered ...Style,design,build quality and safety.

ctrlmd
August 4th, 2011, 11:51 PM
BMW a lot of people whom i know would also recommend it over audi
good luck picking your next car and congratulations :D

Inodoro Pereyra
August 4th, 2011, 11:58 PM
edit:
Btw,
edit2:
OMG,it is

...And the POSSIBILITY to use that speed. Not that one's ever gonna go faster than the speed limit, of course...:-\"

forrestcupp
August 5th, 2011, 01:32 AM
I'll ask also, why does it have to be a BMW or Audi?

If I were going to buy a car I'd buy a Jaguar.Me too! I've always wanted a Jaguar. Someday when the kids are grown, I'll have one.

The BMW Dealership is giving me a 528i to use over the weekend. I will be able to get a good idea of what it is like.That's the way to do it.

mamamia88
August 5th, 2011, 04:40 AM
oh what a great dilemma you have

realzippy
August 5th, 2011, 07:58 AM

Ok,but these cars a built for the Autobahn.
On smaller roads with speed limit :D I would prefer the BMW,the handling
seems to be definitely better....you will see since you already own an Audi.
Thought in a country like yours things like off-road capability,
range,comfort,cup-holders would be more important..

KiwiNZ
August 5th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Ok,but these cars a built for the Autobahn.
On smaller roads with speed limit :D I would prefer the BMW,the handling
seems to be definitely better....you will see since you already own an Audi.
Thought in a country like yours things like off-road capability,
range,comfort,cup-holders would be more important..

I already have a SUV which I am keeping.

realzippy
August 10th, 2011, 07:39 PM
So how did the BMW perform?

KiwiNZ
August 10th, 2011, 08:10 PM
The BMW was an excellent vehicle. It was responsive and handled very well. I found the adaptive driving and iDrive annoying as it is time consuming and would become redundant as I would get tired with the fiddling and just stick with one setting.

The interior was good if not a little bland. The ride for me seemed OK.

73ckn797
August 10th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I perform extended warranty mechanical break down inspections on automobiles. Neither one are any good IMO. But then, every vehicle I inspect is broken anyway so I cannot have much to say that would be positive.

KiwiNZ
August 10th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I perform extended warranty mechanical break down inspections on automobiles. Neither one are any good IMO. But then, every vehicle I inspect is broken anyway so I cannot have much to say that would be positive.

I only ever keep vehicles for as long as the Manufacturers new car warranty lasts, in New Zealand that is usually 3 years or 100,000kms.

73ckn797
August 11th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I only ever keep vehicles for as long as the Manufacturers new car warranty lasts, in New Zealand that is usually 3 years or 100,000kms.
If you ever plan to purchase an extended warranty get the one offered by the manufacturer. They will not replace/repair with used or after-market parts.