PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Replacement for Windows XP

Michael_D_E
August 2nd, 2011, 10:09 PM
I have a Motion Computing Tablet PC Model 1400 from 2005. It was still working well despite the usual Windows issues until yesterday when it got into an unrecoverable BOOT LOOP.

Today I used a LiveCD version of Ubuntu to recover a folder from the hard drive that I did not want to lose. The rest of it, is expendable.

My question is this...

Can I install Ubuntu as the ONLY OPERATING SYSTEM on the MC Tablet 1400, wipe the HD clean, and have a much leaner, faster running machine, to do things like use Firefox, watch videos, use SKYPE, and perhaps even OPEN OFFICE suite?

Or, should I wipe it clean and install both Windows XP Professional and Ubuntu?

I have 4Gig of RAM.

Thank you...

karlson
August 2nd, 2011, 10:27 PM
Can I install Ubuntu as the ONLY OPERATING SYSTEM on the MC Tablet 1400, wipe the HD clean, and have a much leaner, faster running machine, to do things like use Firefox, watch videos, use SKYPE, and perhaps even OPEN OFFICE suite?

Probably. Since everything else is expendable you can certainly install and see if it works for you.

Or, should I wipe it clean and install both Windows XP Professional and Ubuntu?

In my opinion dual booting is overrated especially when number of virtualization solutions are available, so you can install Windows XP within a virtual machine.

halibaitor
August 2nd, 2011, 10:30 PM
I'll vote for Ubuntu 10.04.3 as the ONLY OP. That is, assuming that the live CD makes everything work like it should...

You can always go back and do the dual boot thing if it proves necessary.