PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] install queries

snookyb
August 2nd, 2011, 09:46 PM
i recently downloaded a ubuntu iso, opened it and put it onto a 320Gb external harddrive. the hard drive has been formatted.
so far, so good, i can boot into ubuntu, from my external hard drive.
i am being offered the option to install. is this offering to load ubuntu onto my computer, or solidify it's position on my external harddrive?
it doesn't seem to offer me a place to install, or i might just not understand what is being offered, as i don't have any linux knowledge.

any advise would be greatly appreciated,
thanks.

new_tolinux
August 2nd, 2011, 10:22 PM
Normally, you'll download the ISO, and burn it on a blank CD, and then boot that....
Almost any burning-program can do so, Windows 7 even can do it without any burning program (right-click the ISO, then choose "Burn image to disc").

Although, you should really read well what's on your screen when you boot from the CD, since it's quite possible that you'll overwrite your existing windows-installation instead of installing linux to your external harddrive.

Blasphemist
August 2nd, 2011, 10:39 PM
Yes, it sounds like it is giving you the option of installing Ubuntu to the internal drive. Apparently you got the iso burned to the external drive and when you boot to that you are being prompted to try or install Ubuntu.

Please give this site a look about installing Ubuntu for a dual boot configuration, the most common first use of Ubuntu. http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/index.html