PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to set DHCP with static DNS

feihu
August 2nd, 2011, 12:36 PM
Recently, I have encountered a problem when setting my network configuration.
I want to automatically get an IP address through DHCP at system startup, and this can be done by editing /etc/network/interfaces file, adding
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
The problem is that I want to set a static DNS, but DHCP will automatically overwritten /etc/resolv.conf file.
What should I do?

CyberPingU
August 2nd, 2011, 12:55 PM
If your dhcp server doesn't pass it, then write the dns into /etc/resolv.conf and then

# chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

You won't be able to modify that file untill you will remove the "+i" attribute.

feihu
August 2nd, 2011, 01:30 PM
If your dhcp server doesn't pass it, then write the dns into /etc/resolv.conf and then

# chattr +i /etc/resolv.conf

You won't be able to modify that file untill you will remove the "+i" attribute.

The problem is that I can get DNS from DHCP, but I don't want that, what I need is static DNS...

NetDoc
August 2nd, 2011, 01:38 PM
The problem is that I can get DNS from DHCP, but I don't want that, what I need is static DNS...Simpy edit your /etc/network/interfaces file. I used sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces to get this done.

This is how mine looks:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 209.208.24.242
netmask 255.255.255.240
network 209.208.24.240
broadcast 209.208.24.255
gateway 209.208.24.241

Of course, your IP will be far different (this is a public server), and you can get your info by executing ifconfig from a command line. Be sure to restart networking (/etc/init.d/networking restart) for the changes to take effect. Here is how it would look for a private IP range:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.XXX
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.1
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1

Just replace the XXX with the IP of your choice.

CyberPingU
August 2nd, 2011, 01:46 PM
If you do like this, he will set a static IP, that is what he doesn't want to have, since he wants to use dhcp.

Anyhow I don't get what you mean by saying you want a static dns.
Do you want to use an external DNS server that is not the one provided by the dhcp server?
Or do you want to update your internal DNS so every time you get an IP from the dhcp server the DNS is updated automatically so

test.domain.eu

will always point to your PC, whatever your IP is?

NetDoc
August 2nd, 2011, 01:54 PM
If you do like this, he will set a static IP, that is what he doesn't want to have, since he wants to use dhcp. I see what you mean... you can't have your DHCP and eat it too! :D Or can you?

You can actually bind multiple IPs to the same device:

auto eth0 eth0:1
iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth0:1 inet static
address 192.168.1.XXX
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.1.1
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.1

Again, don't forget to change the XXX to a numeric value from 2 to 254. Also, make sure that 192.168.1 is within your range.

CyberPingU
August 2nd, 2011, 01:56 PM
Yes it's true, but this doesn't appear to have anything to do with a DNS...

feihu
August 2nd, 2011, 02:00 PM
If you do like this, he will set a static IP, that is what he doesn't want to have, since he wants to use dhcp.

Anyhow I don't get what you mean by saying you want a static dns.
Do you want to use an external DNS server that is not the one provided by the dhcp server?
Or do you want to update your internal DNS so every time you get an IP from the dhcp server the DNS is updated automatically so

test.domain.eu

will always point to your PC, whatever your IP is?

For example, I can get a DNS from DHCP such as 192.168.0.1,
but what I want is set DNS to 127.0.0.1.
since DHCP will automatically overwrite /etc/resolv.conf,
this cannot be done by simply edit /etc/resolv.conf.

CyberPingU
August 2nd, 2011, 02:16 PM
For example, I can get a DNS from DHCP such as 192.168.0.1,
but what I want is set DNS to 127.0.0.1.
since DHCP will automatically overwrite /etc/resolv.conf,
this cannot be done by simply edit /etc/resolv.conf.

You have 2 choices:
- passing 127.0.0.1 as parameter of dhcpd if it's a linuxbox that provides it by adding the line

option domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
in your dhcpd.conf;
- by editing by hand /etc/resolv.conf and using the chattr +i like I said before. If you do like this, on next reboot, your /etc/resolv.conf will NOT be overwritten since you used the "immutable" attribute. Not even root can modify it untill you remove that.

chili555
August 2nd, 2011, 02:27 PM
It is so easy to do with a static IP. Why not?

feihu
August 2nd, 2011, 02:29 PM
You have 2 choices:
- passing 127.0.0.1 as parameter of dhcpd if it's a linuxbox that provides it by adding the line

in your dhcpd.conf;
- by editing by hand /etc/resolv.conf and using the chattr +i like I said before. If you do like this, on next reboot, your /etc/resolv.conf will NOT be overwritten since you used the "immutable" attribute. Not even root can modify it untill you remove that.

Problem solved
Thanks a lot.
I'm not using dhcpd since the default DHCP server is not set up by me; or maybe I don't fully understand the first way;
the second way is sufficient to solve the problem.

ps.
Sorry for not understanding your previous reply since I've never heard of such a attribute as immutable

CyberPingU
August 2nd, 2011, 02:29 PM
Yup, it's almost forgotten... I used it just a couple of times in 12 years!
That's why I repeated it ;)

NetDoc
August 2nd, 2011, 02:36 PM
You have 2 choices:

in your dhcpd.conf;
- by editing by hand /etc/resolv.conf and using the chattr +i like I said before. If you do like this, on next reboot, your /etc/resolv.conf will NOT be overwritten since you used the "immutable" attribute. Not even root can modify it untill you remove that.Good info. Thanks.

feihu
August 2nd, 2011, 02:42 PM
You have 2 choices:

in your dhcpd.conf;

the second way if I exec /etc/init.d/networking restart
It will return an error as
"cp: cannot create regular file 'resolv.conf': permission denied"
I don't know if this will cause some other trouble.

feihu
August 2nd, 2011, 02:47 PM
It is so easy to do with a static IP. Why not?

'cause I'm not the network manager in our LAN :)

chili555
August 2nd, 2011, 03:38 PM
'cause I'm not the network manager in our LAN :)Unless there is a policy prohibition against static IPs, I'm not sure that's a barrier. Post #2 gets the job done easily; amend /etc/resolv.conf to the nameservers you want and make it -i.

CyberPingU
August 2nd, 2011, 04:03 PM
the second way if I exec /etc/init.d/networking restart
It will return an error as
"cp: cannot create regular file 'resolv.conf': permission denied"
I don't know if this will cause some other trouble.

Actually doesn't put you in any trouble... it just reports that it cannot create the file since it doesn't have permissions to do it. Other things flow flawlessly :)

feihu
August 2nd, 2011, 04:17 PM
Unless there is a policy prohibition against static IPs, I'm not sure that's a barrier. Post #2 gets the job done easily; amend /etc/resolv.conf to the nameservers you want and make it -i.

All usable IPs are in the dynamic region, if the computer is shutdown and start up again, the IP might be occupied, so .