PDA

View Full Version : Gaming/Video Editing Build - $800

dmillerw
August 2nd, 2011, 10:51 AM
Changed some things around, for people checking back. Price was a tad too high

I know I've posted here before, basically asking the same thing, but now that I'm buying the parts in the next week or so, I thought I'd post again. Make sure I have the latest deals and prices in mind.

- - -
Things I can reuse

- Mouse
- Keyboard
- Monitor (however, if there's extra money, I'd love a new one)
- OS

Uses

- Gaming, definitely. Modern games at medium settings at least, if possible.
- Probably messing around with Blender, and video editing, Adobe After Effects. (no heavy editing, just messing around mostly. Not a top priority)
- General use.
- Heavy usage of Flash CS5
- Probably code compiling. C++
- Probably running a virtual machine of Windows, when in Linux.

Requirements

- NVIDIA Graphics card, if possible. Running Linux primarily. However, if you know of an AMD graphics card that doesn't throw ****-fits with Linux, I'd be happy to take a look
- Intel processor. No particular reason, just more familier with them. (feel free to knock some sense into me though, if you think it's needed)
- Would like to attempt overclocking at somepoint.

I'm in the US, so Newegg would be preferable.

Budget would probably be between $600 - $800, may be able to go a little higher if necessary.

mips
August 2nd, 2011, 12:06 PM
Core i5 2500K
Asus/Gigagbyte MB that supports overclocking above K series cpu (P or Z series?).
4-8GB RAM
Antec or Corsair 80+ PSU
Coolermaster Hyper 212 heatsink/fan combo.

GPU, best for whatever money you have left.

kaldor
August 2nd, 2011, 12:10 PM
AMD GPU working great here. The problems AMD had with Linux are quickly waning.

I'd recommend something like an ATI 5770. The 5000 series has pretty smooth results these days.

Edit: This is a dual boot machine, and you intend on doing your editing, gaming, etc in Windows right? If that's the case, definitely get an AMD/ATI GPU and use the default open source drivers when in Linux. The open source AMD drivers are pretty much perfect for anyone who doesn't play games (though some games will work fine). They also seem to have better results with multiple monitors.

Edit: This (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102937) would be an excellent GPU if you wanted to pay that price. Linux support not perfect on 11.04 (requires proprietary drivers or it may have problems) but the latest builds apparently add major improvements. By 11.10 (or if you upgrade the graphics stack in Natty) you should have no problems.

dmillerw
August 2nd, 2011, 12:22 PM
Core i5 2500K
Asus/Gigagbyte MB that supports overclocking above K series cpu (P or Z series?).
4-8GB RAM
Antec or Corsair 80+ PSU
Coolermaster Hyper 212 heatsink/fan combo.

GPU, best for whatever money you have left.

Not quite understanding what you mean for the motherboard.

Also, I put together another build, opinions? Still need a PSU, but I'll probably take the suggestion above.

mips
August 2nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Not quite understanding what you mean for the motherboard.

P8P67 P series is fine. I should rather have said avoid the H series if you want to OC.

Out of the H, P & Z chipset series the 'H' is the one you don't want ;)

Sorry for the confusion, I should have been more specific.

If you can add some funds or shave off a bit somewhere else I can highly recommend a SSD for your OS drive ;)

How I wish we had a Newegg here!

dmillerw
August 2nd, 2011, 01:19 PM
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

If you have any input on the build, I'd be happy to hear it.

mips
August 2nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
If you have any input on the build, I'd be happy to hear it.

Seems fine to me. Depending on what VM's you run a bit more memory might help but you can always add more later should you see a need for it.

Edit: Oh, just do a bit of research to see if that GPU will fit in the case ;)

Perfect Storm
August 2nd, 2011, 03:02 PM
If you're planning to game in Linux (both natively and with wine, it's still recommendable with a Nvidia card.

realzippy
August 2nd, 2011, 03:47 PM
AMD GPU working great here. The problems AMD had with Linux are quickly waning.

Do they?
Guess you never ran an Nvidia card in linux.
Friend of mine has an ATI:
VDPAU?
FSAA smoooothely?

Nope,pretty poor compared to my old Nvidia card.

forrestcupp
August 2nd, 2011, 06:24 PM
- Probably messing around with Blender, and video editing, Adobe After Effects. (no heavy editing, just messing around mostly. Not a top priority)

You have the money to spend on Adobe After Effects just for messing around? The full version costs about $200 more than what you're wanting to spend on your whole rig.

dmillerw
August 2nd, 2011, 10:27 PM
You have the money to spend on Adobe After Effects just for messing around? The full version costs about $200 more than what you're wanting to spend on your whole rig.

I've got an old copy of CS3 lying around.

Thanks for all the input though.

dmillerw
August 3rd, 2011, 12:37 AM
Final build. Just making sure there are no incompatibilities or anything, no problems with the build.

mips
August 3rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Why that PSU?