PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Synaptic Package Manager can't download packages

dooberheim
August 2nd, 2011, 12:21 AM
I isntalled Ubuntu 10.04 LTS in a dual boot configuration with Windows 7 (new i5 desktop, 8 GB DDR3) , and after a few gliches solved, Ubuntu runs. The problem I have is when I try to install software with the Synaptic Package Manager, no packages can be downloaded. Also, after I attempt this, no other software can connect to the Internet (even if that software was able to connect before). Rebooting restores connectivity.

Anyone dealt with this problem before? I searched for other posts where people had this problem, but the solutions don't apply to my situation. Thanks.

jerrrys
August 2nd, 2011, 03:17 PM
have you tried clicking on the reload button in synaptic package manager?

or open a terminal and enter

sudo apt-get update

and post any errors that you get

dooberheim
August 3rd, 2011, 08:21 AM
p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } I got it to work after I opened SPM and saw a window saying I needed to run:

<ID removed>f@GeneMachine:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
[sudo] password for<ID removed>:
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
<ID removed>@GeneMachine:~$ sudo dpkg --configure -a
So I did, and got: many packages downloaded until I hit a:
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
Perhaps because I had SPM open already?

Anyway, I tried to download the package I wanted "startupmanager" and it worked, and I still have Internet connectivity. So far so good.

I'll try to install some other stuff and see if it's really fixed. Thankis jerrys.

On reboot this morning, I was able to download another package and install it, and am still able to reply to this thread. So I guess it's working - not quite sure why, but sometimes one shouldn't care so much about that.

Mark

jerrrys
August 3rd, 2011, 12:52 PM
y (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

you can have only one package manager open at a time