PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What is the syntax for the SSH Tunnel host in Remote Desktop Viewer?

bwallum
August 1st, 2011, 11:09 PM
I have succeeded in using Remote Desktop Viewer to make a VNC connection to a remote WAN computer and it was quick enough to manipulate the remote computer in real time.

I found the host name by getting the remote target computer to put the following url into a browser - http://www.showmyip.com/ - It returned the address for the router which I put into the Host: text entry box in the Remote Desktop Viewer window.

E.g. for my computer at the time of submitting my enquiry the address was 'host81-129-54-226.range81-129.btcentralplus.com'

The remote router that I connected to needed to have the port 5900 forwarded to the remote target computer.

I now want to progress to running VNC through a SSH tunnel for additional security. In the Remote Desktop Viewer there is a configuration line

'use host' <text box to enter host name> 'as a SSH tunnel'

What is the correct syntax to enter in the text box? It would help my understanding if you used the example address above as a basis for a response.

EDIT

Many unexpected connection attempts reported on my router, if that was you, thank you for the novel way in responding to the question and providing the syntax.

The 'bible' on syntax appears to be found here:- http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?ssh+1

Herman
August 21st, 2011, 02:08 AM
hello bwallum,
I am still experimenting with this myself, but I think I have found an answer.
I think the correct syntax for that field is something like:

joe@192.168.1.5for within a protected LAN, or over the internet if you have a ddns,

joe@some.ddns.comand if it needs to be forwarded by a non-standard ssh port, try using a semicolon before your port number, like

joe@some.ddns.com:5432
Where" '5432' is your alternative ssh port number forwarded from your router.
I accidentally discovered this after noticing a black text balloon containing that information after inadvertently leaving my mouse hovered over the field while I was searching the internet in the other computer for the answer, (and thus happened to find your question).

It seems to be working for me within my LAN. I now would now like a way to confirm the connection is definitely encrypted so I can progress to trying this out over the internet too.

Herman
August 21st, 2011, 02:21 AM
It would help my understanding if you used the example address above as a basis for a response.Okay, try <username>@<hostname>:<port-range>, like this,

bwallum@btcentralplus.com:81-129 Assuming btcentralplus.com will be linked to whatever your router's current IP address is now.
Otherwise, (if your ddns isn't working, then try,

bwallum@81-129-54-226:81-129and it should work if you still have that IP address.