PDA

View Full Version : any geneaology gurus out there ?

haqking
August 1st, 2011, 10:20 PM
I am trying to figure out a relationship between myself to the cousin of my great nephews father ?

So my niece is having a baby, the father of the baby is the cousin of his dads nephew. What relationship is that to me ?

LOL ive tried relationship charts and cant figure it out, wandered if anyone was up to speed on this family stuff ?

cheers

jerrrys
August 2nd, 2011, 04:38 PM
i just asked a friend (geneaology guru) and her answer was "i don't have a clue"

good luck

haqking
August 2nd, 2011, 04:50 PM
i just asked a friend (geneaology guru) and her answer was "i don't have a clue"

good luck

ha well thanks for that...LOL

yeah pretty much same response i get from everywhere, narrowed down to some type of cousin

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 3rd, 2011, 12:21 AM
You could install the genealogy program Gramps from the repo, input the relevant people and parent/child/spouse data, and use it to calculate the relationship. In Gramps, use the menu "Tools > Utilities > Calculate Relationships..." to get the answer.

coolbrook
August 3rd, 2011, 12:44 AM
I am trying to figure out a relationship between myself to the cousin of my great nephews father ?

So my niece is having a baby, the father of the baby is the cousin of his dads nephew. What relationship is that to me ?

LOL ive tried relationship charts and cant figure it out, wandered if anyone was up to speed on this family stuff ?

cheers

If my niece has a baby, then I am the baby's great uncle. If the niece is married, then I am an uncle-in-law to the baby's father. Being the cousin of a father's nephew still makes one a 'first cousin'.

You're the uncle-in-law of that person's cousin.

haqking
August 3rd, 2011, 01:08 AM
If my niece has a baby, then I am the baby's great uncle. If the niece is married, then I am an uncle-in-law to the baby's father. Being the cousin of a father's nephew still makes one a 'first cousin'.

You're the uncle-in-law of that person's cousin.

so i am the uncle in law to the cousin of the father of my nieces baby ?

haqking
August 3rd, 2011, 01:08 AM
You could install the genealogy program Gramps from the repo, input the relevant people and parent/child/spouse data, and use it to calculate the relationship. In Gramps, use the menu "Tools > Utilities > Calculate Relationships..." to get the answer.

ok cheers i will take a look at that

coolbrook
August 3rd, 2011, 01:15 AM
so i am the uncle in law to the cousin of the father of my nieces baby ?

That person would say that you are the uncle-in-law of his cousin.
That person is your nephew-in-law's cousin.

If they're not married then the baby's father is just that. He is the father of your great niece. The other guy is simply the cousin of the father of your great niece.

Or to make it 'simple'. The other guy is your great niece's first cousin.

haqking
August 3rd, 2011, 01:18 AM
That person would say that you are the uncle-in-law of his cousin.
That person is your nephew-in-law's cousin.

If they're not married then the baby's father is just that. He is the father of your great niece. The other guy is simply the cousin of the father of your great niece.

Or to make it 'simple'. The other guy is your great niece's first cousin.

I feel like im in the Tudor dynasty...LOL

cheers

coolbrook
August 3rd, 2011, 01:35 AM
Spaceballs (Spoiler)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZd_YyFzPD0

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 3rd, 2011, 01:45 AM

cheers

Do you have a common ancestor with the cousin of your great nephews father?

If not, I don't think there is a Genealogical relationship.

haqking
August 3rd, 2011, 01:53 AM
Do you have a common ancestor with the cousin of your great nephews father?

If not, I don't think there is a Genealogical relationship.

well thats what i was thinking when i did some research and came across some relationship tables.

no we dont, he is my best mate and so when we found out his cousin was the father of my nieces child we wondered what relationship we would be if any, to be honest if we found it we were related we would lose our friendship....LOL

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 3rd, 2011, 02:13 AM
well thats what i was thinking when i did some research and came across some relationship tables.

no we dont, he is my best mate and so when we found out his cousin was the father of my nieces child we wondered what relationship we would be if any, to be honest if we found it we were related we would lose our friendship....LOL

I actually just completed using Gramps to evaluate similar relationships in my family tree. I tried to calculate the relationship between myself and my great niece's mother; however, it showed no Genealogical relationship. I then tried to calculate the relationship between myself and a cousin of my great niece's mother; however, once again it showed no Genealogical relationship. I do get a relationship of "great niece" when I calculate her relationship to me; because, the biological genes that my sister and I share from our parents were passed along to our children and grandchildren. So, my "great niece" could share biological genes with me.

The part where you state "the father of the baby is the cousin of his dads nephew" is something I am hiving difficulty interpreting; however, if the father of the baby has no genetic relationship to you then all of the father's relatives do not have a relationship with you either.

I would still recommend that you download Gramps and input the data; however, it looks to me that you and your best mate are not related.

haqking
August 3rd, 2011, 05:58 PM
I actually just completed using Gramps to evaluate similar relationships in my family tree. I tried to calculate the relationship between myself and my great niece's mother; however, it showed no Genealogical relationship. I then tried to calculate the relationship between myself and a cousin of my great niece's mother; however, once again it showed no Genealogical relationship. I do get a relationship of "great niece" when I calculate her relationship to me; because, the biological genes that my sister and I share from our parents were passed along to our children and grandchildren. So, my "great niece" could share biological genes with me.

The part where you state "the father of the baby is the cousin of his dads nephew" is something I am hiving difficulty interpreting; however, if the father of the baby has no genetic relationship to you then all of the father's relatives do not have a relationship with you either.

I would still recommend that you download Gramps and input the data; however, it looks to me that you and your best mate are not related.

"the father of the baby is the cousin of his dads nephew" yeah me too...LOL

i meant the father of the baby is my best mates cousin...or my best mates uncles, has a son and the son is the father of my great niece or nephew (sex indeterminate right now).

so yeah i dont think there is any genealogil reltionship as we do not share a common ancestor. or any relationship is very tentative at the most.

cheers