PDA

View Full Version : What do you prefer for notes/study/meetings?

Syndicalist
August 1st, 2011, 09:25 PM
In most ways I think pen and paper is superior to laptops for their versatility.....Sure you can type faster, but what about graphical illustrations? A touch screen, especially finger touch, leaves a LOT to be desired. A wacom illustration tablet can work ok, but I wouldnt say its faster...you have to watch the screen instead of the board.

Personally, I think audio-recording devices are the best, or audio/video combinations. Your cellphone should be sufficient, or a laptop with external webcam and built in speakers. Simply watching the lecture over again is generally better than trying to re-interpret your notes.

E-readers take slightly better notes than most tablets, but they are still sub-par for that purpose....maybe you can write down homework chapters or a phone number.

Personally, I think that getting DragonSpeak or an Alternative working in Linux is a top priority. In the past its been one of the things that has made me consider keeping a Windows partition around.

Inodoro Pereyra
August 1st, 2011, 10:15 PM
I prefer no notes, no studying, and DEFINITELY NO MEETINGS!!!:lolflag:

Syndicalist
August 1st, 2011, 10:45 PM
lol

zkissane
August 1st, 2011, 10:53 PM
I say this as someone who's been hooked on computers since I was 3 years old: pen and paper. For me, when it comes to information retention and understanding, nothing beats the pen-on-paper tactile feedback. Typing A = pi*r^2 is a bunch of keystrokes that all feel the same. Actually writing A = pi * r^2, besides looking better, feels far more connected to the concept, to me.

KiwiNZ
August 1st, 2011, 10:56 PM
For meetings, a Personal Assistant.

BeRoot ReBoot
August 1st, 2011, 11:19 PM
I'm studying mathematics and physics, and I'm absolutely, positively incapable of handwriting in a way that's readable. I've spent two years of high school hopelessly trying to catch up with lectures and later trying to decipher my "notes" before I gave up and learned to touch type. For maths-heavy subjects (pretty much all of them in my current curriculum), I use emacs with LaTeX for text, octave+gnuplot for mathematical graphics, and my phone's camera for non-mathematical drawings. Fast, easy, reliable and, most importantly, easy to organise and actually study from. At this point I wouldn't go back to paper even if my handwriting were worth a damn.

Legendary_Bibo
August 1st, 2011, 11:37 PM
notes: Pen and paper
study: study guides which are my notes typed up and organized better
meetings: sleep

mamamia88
August 2nd, 2011, 02:01 AM
dont really take notes i learn more by paying attention and participating.

Bandit
August 2nd, 2011, 02:13 AM
Believe it or not, what few notes I do take I prefer pen and paper. I quite a few notebooks of notes on linux stuff.

Most of the time I just memorize. But what I have trouble memorizing, writing it down in those notebooks helps to memorize. And if I forget, I have notes.. hehe

drawkcab
August 2nd, 2011, 04:02 AM
pen and paper

a recorder would have been nice in graduate school

XubuRoxMySox
August 2nd, 2011, 11:08 AM
Xournal (http://xournal.sourceforge.net/) is kinda fun using a stylus on a notebook. It's a digital pen-and-paper! Nicer for a clumsy kid like me who drops stuff and then has to chase a bunch of loose wind-carried papers all over the place, lol.

It's also a pdf annotator! Very cool. I had so much fun with it I even wrote my own li'l tutorial (my first, so be gentle when you criticize) about Xournal (here (http://www.linux.com/community/blogs/edit-pdfs-the-easy-way-with-xournal.html)).

Next best thing to paper and pencil.

PhillyPhil
August 2nd, 2011, 11:17 AM
I have used a netbook with mindmapping software with great success in lectures taking notes, but you're right about diagrams: now that I'm doing a lot of physics related subjects (lots of diagrams) I've gone back to pen and paper.

This is something I could actually see myself wanting a tablet for. A tablet designed for pen/stylus use (the current crop of touch screens with the addition of a stylus are NOT good enough) would give me all the benefits of paper, and the electronic/cloud storage/transport goodness of computers.

BeRoot ReBoot
August 2nd, 2011, 12:18 PM
I have used a netbook with mindmapping software with great success in lectures taking notes, but you're right about diagrams: now that I'm doing a lot of physics related subjects (lots of diagrams) I've gone back to pen and paper.

Except you could easily use LaTeX and gnuplot for diagrams, or any other graphing software. Anything beats pen and paper.