PDA

View Full Version : to TAB or not to TAB

nixIT
August 1st, 2011, 08:41 PM
Hello all

Question to post out there, but first some history.

A couple weeks ago I attended a Citrix seminar in my home town. After the seminar they had a drawing for an iPad 2, and I won.

I sold the iPad 2 and purchased a Galaxy Tab 10.1, and both tablets are nice.

However, the dilemma I have is, I am not sure what I can use the tablet for.

My question is, what would you use a tablet for, or should I just return it and pocket the cash I got for the sale of the iPad?

--nixIT

Roasted
August 1st, 2011, 09:02 PM
Personally, between owning an ultra portable laptop and a smart phone, I see no reason whatsoever for a tablet. But this is from MY point of view.

I see the demographic for tablet users. If you fall into that, great. If you're like me and your phone and laptop don't need that middle man to get all of your tasks done, well, maybe you could sell the tablet and put it towards your next two or three gas tanks at the pump. We all know how much that stings, and every little bit helps! :D

jerenept
August 1st, 2011, 09:13 PM
Hello all

Question to post out there, but first some history.

A couple weeks ago I attended a Citrix seminar in my home town. After the seminar they had a drawing for an iPad 2, and I won.

I sold the iPad 2 and purchased a Galaxy Tab 10.1, and both tablets are nice.

However, the dilemma I have is, I am not sure what I can use the tablet for.

My question is, what would you use a tablet for, or should I just return it and pocket the cash I got for the sale of the iPad?

--nixIT

Here was I thinking that this was some debate on Python.
You should shut down your desktop/laptop/whatever and use the tab for your everyday computing. Then see what it's good for and what it's not.

rolnics
August 1st, 2011, 09:22 PM
I have a hard time seeing where the Tablet comes in to play myself. I'm not like Roasted, I don't own an ultra portable laptop or smartphone, but I do agree with him. Why do you need a tablet if you've got these two things?

So from that I'd sell the tablet and pocket the cash. I'm going to watch this thread with interest.

kerry_s
August 1st, 2011, 09:26 PM
I used my tablet for everything I did with my computer, except now I can move around easier. Less time sitting at the pc, I get more done. It's nice checking my email from the toilet, 1 hour now put to good use. Lol

ajgreeny
August 1st, 2011, 09:32 PM
I used my tablet for everything I did with my computer, except now I can move around easier. Less time sitting at the pc, I get more done. It's nice checking my email from the toilet, 1 hour now put to good use. Lol
But try writing anything but a simple email using a tablet, and you're completely lost, or at least I am when I've tried it. Proper touch-typing, even at my slow pace is totally impossible, as far as I can make out.

Great for some games, for social networking, emails, and web-browsing, but for real work, give me a proper computer any day.

nixIT
August 1st, 2011, 09:43 PM
I should have added the following to my personal situation,

I do not own a laptop, the wife does.

I do not own a smart phone, though mine does flip closed. :)

I am in the IT field, and even thought about how I could use it at work, and since I would be piggy backing off company wifi, surfing for pr0n is out. :)

turn off the desktop and using the tablet for every day use would be a good test, though I couldn't finish ripping my DVD collection to digital, and almost done with that, thank god.

I can see using it in the bathroom would be nice but how often are we in there? unless you have IBS.

--nixIT

LowSky
August 1st, 2011, 09:53 PM
I read the title and and could stop thinking of the Simpsons episode where Homer is "working from home" and thinks the tab key on the keyboard will get him that brand of soda.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King-Size_Homer

LMP900
August 1st, 2011, 10:04 PM
Web browsing, media playback, casual gaming, and reading PDFs are four things I would enjoy more on a tablet over a laptop. The screen is typically better on tablets (e.g. viewing angles), the battery often lasts much longer, and it's great not having to worry about shutting down the device when I'm done.

If I had to choose one, I would still opt for an ultra-portable laptop. But as an extra device, a tablet would be useful.

kerry_s
August 1st, 2011, 10:49 PM
But try writing anything but a simple email using a tablet, and you're completely lost, or at least I am when I've tried it. Proper touch-typing, even at my slow pace is totally impossible, as far as I can make out.

Great for some games, for social networking, emails, and web-browsing, but for real work, give me a proper computer any day.

That is what the computer is for, not saying I don't use it, I just use it less.
Let's face it, were not working all the time, some times it's just for fun.
In my case I've passed my tablet to my son, he wanted it so bad. I'm now using an iPod touch to do email & web browsing, so I still go to the pc to watch movies & whatever.
For example, I'm writing this in the kitchen on the iPod touch while cooking lunch for the kids.

drawkcab
August 2nd, 2011, 05:15 AM
do you like to goof around on the web and browse documents while laying on your couch?

if so, a tablet is for you

koleoptero
August 2nd, 2011, 11:15 AM
If I had a tablet I'd use it mostly for reading and surfing the web mostly. You can also use it to show photos and videos to friends without having to cluster around a computer. Or even as a glorified digital frame. Or wall clock / weather station. Many many ideas.

nixIT
August 2nd, 2011, 07:22 PM
everyone has listed some good uses, and the longer I keep this, on day 5, I am getting used to it, though I tried the surfing the web while watching a movie in the media/theater room, I built the theater room for movie watching, and I quickly put the tablet down to enjoy movies.

I can see the uses, and understand all of them, I think it boils down to "I don't think it's me.". My house is 1500 sq feet, all on one floor, so I could easily walk to what my wife calls my "evil lair" to do any form of web surfing, game playing etc.

Since we don't travel much, I have no need to take it with me, and there's no internet at the outlaws Lake house, so that's out. damn, I should get a smart phone so I can surf when I up there while everyone else water skis. :)

Thanx for all the input, it has been very insightful.

Still deciding, and have about 8 more days before I can't return it.

--nixIT

Simian Man
August 2nd, 2011, 07:29 PM
My thinking is that if it doesn't fit in your pocket, it's not more portable than a laptop. I would sell it.

mamamia88
August 2nd, 2011, 07:35 PM
I have a netbook, android phone, and kindle. most of the time when i'm not traveling i just bring my phone and it's more than good enough. if i'm going on a weekend trip i will pack the phone and kindle for the drive/flight. i rarerly take the netbook out of the house. i don't really see the need for tablets except maybe if you don't have a kindle and want something to read comics and books in color.

Roasted
August 2nd, 2011, 08:13 PM

But... I do this with my smart phone and my laptop. In fact, I've done this for years. :D

FlameReaper
August 3rd, 2011, 12:04 AM
All that matters is convenience and how would you find it.

For me, if I need a balance between screen size, performance/battery power, space and portability I'd pick a tablet.

Maximum space, portability and battery without minding processing power and screen size? Smartphone.

Performance and portability? Laptop.

drawkcab
August 4th, 2011, 04:07 AM
I'm still a big fan of the netbook. I bought my eeepc years ago for $170 and it's been great.

LMP900
August 4th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I'm still a big fan of the netbook. I bought my eeepc years ago for $170 and it's been great.

I bought mine used for an incredible price, too. But the problem with a netbook is that it's not really good at anything, aside from its portability.

I've been using one as my only computer for 5 weeks now and I am not enjoying it. The keyboard is cramped, it still runs hot, and it's not powerful enough to run many applications I want. A MacBook Air would be my ideal portable machine and I can't wait to see more "Ultrabooks" in the coming months.

My Android phone, while not as productive as a netbook, is much more enjoyable to use. It doesn't run hot, the battery lasts long, and I actually like using it to browse the web/read saved articles/keep track of online social activity. That's why I'm a proponent of the tablet, despite its shortcomings.