PDA

View Full Version : new laptop W520: System Monitor Screenshot

cprofitt
August 1st, 2011, 06:37 PM
Being a somewhat aged computer user it blows my mind to see this on my laptop... even servers back in the day did not have this...

I do not even want to think about the future...

sanderd17
August 1st, 2011, 07:11 PM
Being a somewhat aged computer user it blows my mind to see this on my laptop... even servers back in the day did not have this...

I do not even want to think about the future...

The only problem is that the amount of possible memory is limited by the amount of finite parts in the universe. As example:

You will never be able to store all the characters of Graham's Number (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham%27s_number) in decimal writing because it has far more characters than there are particles in the universe.

So in the future, memories and speed will be growing, but the growth is certainly limited.

cprofitt
August 1st, 2011, 07:13 PM
The only problem is that the amount of possible memory is limited by the amount of finite parts in the universe. As example:

You will never be able to store all the characters of Graham's Number (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham%27s_number) in decimal writing because it has far more characters than there are particles in the universe.

So in the future, memories and speed will be growing, but the growth is certainly limited.

That gives me some measure of comfort. :D

beew
August 1st, 2011, 07:24 PM
So how well does the w520 work in Ubuntu otherwise? Do you experience problems with the Nvidia quadro card?

cprofitt
August 1st, 2011, 07:56 PM
So how well does the w520 work in Ubuntu otherwise? Do you experience problems with the Nvidia quadro card?

Its actually an Nvidia Optimus... and I switched it to just use the Intel from Bios. I have not yet tried using the Nvidia card.

beew
August 1st, 2011, 08:13 PM
Its actually an Nvidia Optimus... and I switched it to just use the Intel from Bios. I have not yet tried using the Nvidia card.

Is it possible to choose the discrete card (Nvidia) from the BIOS? The Quadro card is high performance and expensive, I wouldn't pay all that money to use only the Intel card. :)

cprofitt
August 3rd, 2011, 11:50 PM
Is it possible to choose the discrete card (Nvidia) from the BIOS? The Quadro card is high performance and expensive, I wouldn't pay all that money to use only the Intel card. :)

Yes, you can choose either card. There were some issues I had to work around before I could use the Nvidia card.