PDA

View Full Version : Email Client

Keikaku
August 1st, 2011, 01:00 PM
I'm looking for a lightweight email client. I need the following features:

Organizational utilities (such as calendars, to=do lists, etc.) that are integrated with their Google online counterparts
Decent RSS support (preferably, there would be great integration with Google Reader)
Can anyone recommend a client with such features?

Thanks in advance.

haqking
August 1st, 2011, 01:03 PM
I'm looking for a lightweight email client. I need the following features:

Organizational utilities (such as calendars, to=do lists, etc.) that are integrated with their Google online counterparts
Decent RSS support (preferably, there would be great integration with Google Reader)

Can anyone recommend a client with such features?

Thanks in advance.

Evolutuion, thunderbird.

I personally use Evolution, RSS pluginis available

Famicube64
August 1st, 2011, 01:34 PM
I'd try Postler. Evolution and Thunderbird are fairly heavy clients. I don't know if it can do everything you want but you can look into it.

HermanAB
August 1st, 2011, 02:14 PM
Mutt is light weight.

forrestcupp
August 1st, 2011, 02:38 PM
It's going to be hard to find a client that is light weight and that has all of the features you want. Adding features is what makes an app heavier.

But if you don't mind a little heavy, Thunderbird has the Lightning plugin for calendar & tasks, and there are also plugins to sync with gmail contacts and google calendar.

juancarlospaco
August 1st, 2011, 04:15 PM
netcat or postler

MattBD
August 20th, 2011, 12:16 AM
If you don't mind using alternative applications for non-email functionality, mutt is a great lightweight email client (command-line only). Also, Newsbeuter is an excellent command-line RSS reader that integrates quite nicely with Google Reader. And I just found a tool called gcalcli that will let you work with Google Calendar from the command line.

Onyros
August 20th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Claws-Mail comes to mind: it has an integrated RSS reader (plugin), which works pretty well, too; it also has a vcalendar plugin, which I haven't really used, but it's worth it to check out.

It's as lightweight as they come, for GUI.

Of course mutt is my email client of choice, but I don't think the OP is looking for a console client. At least not with the required features. :)

ki4jgt
August 20th, 2011, 09:06 AM
I would just do Thunderbird with the Lightning extension. It works great. You can set it up to sync with the Google Calendar(s) of your choosing, while still having access while offline. Plus it integrates with thunderbird quite well. Been using it since Senior Year in HS in 08. Been a great tool.

Tibuda
August 20th, 2011, 07:15 PM
My suggestion: Gmail, Google Calendar and Google Reader.

Organizational utilities (such as calendars, to=do lists, etc.): check
integrated with their Google online counterparts: check
Decent RSS support: check
great integration with Google Reader: check

u2nTu
August 22nd, 2011, 07:55 PM
Been trying to love Evolution for ~8 months. Its funky HTML rendering finally got me this AM. (Light vs Heavy is not an issue, just need something that works.)

After seeing this post among several others favorable to Thunderbird (and finding many indicating the next Ubuntu release will switch to TB as default mail client), decided to give it a try.

Happy to find not only html troubles fixed, but a more solid feel and wider feature set overall.

Thanks to those who pointed the way.

EDIT:
Been a happy TB user for a month now. Installed both Webmail (http://webmail.mozdev.org/) and Stationery (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/stationery/) plugins; now have in-client access to Yahoo Mail and Hotmail accounts, also able to compose messages with instant access to a selection of templates. Much gratitude from me.

I would just do Thunderbird with the Lightning extension. It works great. You can set it up to sync with the Google Calendar(s) of your choosing, while still having access while offline. Plus it integrates with thunderbird quite well. Been using it since Senior Year in HS in 08. Been a great tool.

Jesus_Valdez
August 22nd, 2011, 11:26 PM
Mozilla Firefox.

Oh wait, you want a light one, then Midori web browser.