PDA

View Full Version : Purchase High speed internet

jmore9
August 1st, 2011, 11:40 AM
This week end i read a lot of comments about the throttling of high speed internet users. A question that was asked over and over again was the the following.

Why do people purchase a say 8 meg download package ?

No one could give an example of any sites that have that speed available . Some of the sites i go to the max i get is my 150. But most of them are around 75 to 100.

So what good is paying premium price for the high speed download if you cannot even use it ? Not even comcast gives the users the max of their packages.

Any ideas on why people pay for mare than is even possible to use ?

haqking
August 1st, 2011, 11:43 AM
This week end i read a lot of comments about the throttling of high speed internet users. A question that was asked over and over again was the the following.

Why do people purchase a say 8 meg download package ?

No one could give an example of any sites that have that speed available . Some of the sites i go to the max i get is my 150. But most of them are around 75 to 100.

So what good is paying premium price for the high speed download if you cannot even use it ? Not even comcast gives the users the max of their packages.

Any ideas on why people pay for mare than is even possible to use ?

i have a 20mb package, connect at about 15 to 16.

My downloads vary from 800k to 1.5mbps and if i can have multiple files downloading aas well as carry on surf the net.

Thats why ;-)

jmore9
August 1st, 2011, 12:13 PM
So you are using your 20mb download speed ? What site are you connecting to that is allowing you to download at 20 megs if i may ask ?

haqking
August 1st, 2011, 12:17 PM
So you are using your 20mb download speed ? What site are you connecting to that is allowing you to download at 20 megs if i may ask ?

i dont download what i connect at.

I connect at about 15 to 16 mbps.

You will rarely connect at your package speed, and will depend on attenuation (distance from exchange) and SNR or noise on the line.

My download speeds are about 800k to 1.5mbps occasionally higher, the speeds of download will depend on the speed of upload. In a torrent it will depend on the seeds and how they upload for example.

if i connect to say a major server for a download such as Ubuntu for a .iso i will get close my max speed.

for example:

using http://testmy.net/ and choosing to download a 10Mb file took a few seconds and the result was as follows
15.2 Mbps (1.8 MB/s)

Bachstelze
August 1st, 2011, 12:20 PM
No one could give an example of any sites that have that speed available.

firas@itsuki ~ % wget http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/11.04/release/ubuntu-11.04-desktop-amd64+mac.iso
--2011-08-01 12:19:20-- http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/11.04/release/ubuntu-11.04-desktop-amd64+mac.iso
Resolving cdimage.ubuntu.com... 91.189.92.164
Connecting to cdimage.ubuntu.com|91.189.92.164|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 727494656 (694M) [application/x-iso9660-image]
Saving to: `ubuntu-11.04-desktop-amd64+mac.iso'

100%[================================================== ============================>] 727,494,656 35.2M/s in 25s

2011-08-01 12:19:45 (27.7 MB/s) - `ubuntu-11.04-desktop-amd64+mac.iso' saved [727494656/727494656]

LowSky
August 1st, 2011, 01:22 PM
try streaming hd video with only 150kbps
you cant.. and its why I have a 15mbps connection

walt.smith1960
August 1st, 2011, 01:33 PM
Don't forget the difference between Megabits and Megabytes. Ubuntu mirrors at MIT's Media Lab and Rochester Institute of technology will download at 3.5+ MB/sec. That's 28 Mb+/sec. I have a 30 Mb. connections so yeah, that pretty well fills the pipe. Re getting what we pay for, we have Verizon FiOS' middle package. It was advertised as 25/25. Various speed tests usually show 30/20

ssam
August 1st, 2011, 03:10 PM
i am involved (on the side) in a film making project. it requires transferring large quantities of high def video through a private ftp server. 30Mb/s cable connection, and i get a bit over 3MB/s though it (which is about right (bit vs bytes)).

linux downloads often reach those speeds too (apart from release day).

CharlesA
August 1st, 2011, 03:13 PM
try streaming hd video with only 150kbps
you cant.. and its why I have a 15mbps connection

This. Also digital distributions - games, music, isos, etc. Try downloading a 10 gig game over 150K/sec connection. It'll take a long, long time.

IWantFroyo
August 1st, 2011, 03:19 PM
I download a lot of .isos, and my family members are Youtube and Netflix addicts. Also, we got it in a pack with DVRs (that I'm trying to replace with HTPCs) and phone service (should I get an Ooma?), so it was a bit cheaper. We're still going to keep the high speed connection after we get rid of the other stuff, however. It seems that's one thing with no cheapskate workaround.

nothingspecial
August 1st, 2011, 03:24 PM
Try downloading a 10 gig game over 150K/sec connection. It'll take a long, long time.

Tell me about it.

CharlesA
August 1st, 2011, 03:28 PM
I download a lot of .isos, and my family members are Youtube and Netflix addicts. Also, we got it in a pack with DVRs (that I'm trying to replace with HTPCs) and phone service (should I get an Ooma?), so it was a bit cheaper. We're still going to keep the high speed connection after we get rid of the other stuff, however. It seems that's one thing with no cheapskate workaround.

I'm using Vonage, so far it's pretty good. Heard about that Ooma, but I don't have any experience with it.

Tell me about it.

Yep, been there. Buying stuff off Steam or Amazon Digital was nasty before I upgraded my connection.

ankspo71
August 1st, 2011, 03:51 PM
Hi,
My ISP offers basic high speed internet at 768kbps and their turbo version at 20Mbps (with a speed boost of up to 30mbps for 30 seconds I think).

768kbps is plenty of download speed for the average user, but it isn't good enough if you want to listen to a 256kbps radio stream and download Ubuntu at the same time, which is something I would do because I always listen to online radio.

I never had a download go faster than 2.5Mbps, even though it is possible for me to get an advertised 20Mbps, except at testmy.net and speedtest.net

http://testmy.net/ = 22.1 Mbps
http://www.speedtest.net/ = 25.76 Mbps
but my average downloads are only 2 Mbps :(

Don't forget the difference between Megabits and Megabytes. Ubuntu mirrors at MIT's Media Lab and Rochester Institute of technology will download at 3.5+ MB/sec. That's 28 Mb+/sec. I have a 30 Mb.
Oh ok, I get it now. :)

inobe
August 1st, 2011, 03:56 PM
four computers in the house, two internet connected tv's, an 8 mbps connection isn't enough.

tv's are streaming netflix, hulu, and others, kids are on youtube and purposely selecting 1080p resolution, playing online games, complaining about lag and being taken out because of it, high ping etc.

16mbps solves this, if they are happy, i'm out of the red zone, can go to work and come home without being nagged with bandwidth issues.

del_diablo
August 1st, 2011, 04:45 PM
Download rate of 1.4 megabytes/sek here, that is 12 mbits down. It is suppose to be 18, but there is just too much noise on the line.

whatthefunk
August 1st, 2011, 04:55 PM
I have a 10Mbps connection and love it. I can download a 1Gb torrent file in fifteen minutes.

Old_Grey_Wolf
August 2nd, 2011, 02:25 AM
four computers in the house, two internet connected tv's, an 8 mbps connection isn't enough.

tv's are streaming netflix, hulu, and others, kids are on youtube and purposely selecting 1080p resolution, playing online games, complaining about lag and being taken out because of it, high ping etc.

16mbps solves this, if they are happy, i'm out of the red zone, can go to work and come home without being nagged with bandwidth issues.

I'm in your situation as well. I have myself and my wife, 4 children or their spouses, and 3 grandchildren in my home that are streaming video from Hulu, Netflix, and Youtube; streaming audio; playing on-line games; and other lower bandwidth usage activity; such as, browsing, email, and posting/reading social media sites. Some of us also download applications, operating systems, and so fourth.

Sometimes my 7 Mbps connection just doesn't seem like it has the bandwidth for what this household needs. One of my children asked a few minutes ago if I was downloading anything because the video stream they were watching was pausing while it was buffering.

I wish I could get 15 Mbps.

If it was just my wife and myself, we could probably do everything we need to do on a 3 Mbps connection.