PDA

View Full Version : Why you SHOULDNT buy an Ipad for school.

Syndicalist
July 31st, 2011, 08:14 PM
Also, its a terrible look for a desktop or laptop OS.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/10-reasons-not-buy-ipad-students-174406688.html

The summer season is almost over. If you're a parent that means back-to-school shopping is right around the corner.
And there's one product one fairly expensive product -- likely to be in high demand for college-bound students in particular: The Apple iPad!
But as dealnews (http://dealnews.com/)' media editor Jeff Somogyi says there are 10 reasons why you should NOT buy your kids an iPad especially in place of a more traditional laptop.
"It is a great product [and] I have the utmost respect for Apple," Somogyi tells tells The Daily Ticker's Aaron Task in the accompanying interview. "But in this instance I think that the cost per benefit is a little too high especially when it comes to students."
The tablet device starts at $499 for the most basic model with 16GB of storage with Wi-Fi connectivity. Meanwhile, the higher-end 64GB models with 3G connectivity start at $829 and expect to pay an extra monthly fee if the wireless Internet plan is enacted.
"You can get a very nice laptop for that price," he says. "You can get a laptop that does everything that your student needs it to do for less than the low end iPad."
Not only can you save money, a laptop will enable students to do all the things they need to do like write 500-word papers -- easier and more conveniently.
Which brings us to Somogyi's top reasons to not buy your student and iPad for back to school: It's expensive and it's not the best solution for note-taking or editing documents.
If these two reasons alone are not enough to convince your child that the iPad is not the right choice for them, here is Somogyi's full top ten list of reasons why you should not cave and buy your child the iPad:
#1 It's Expensive
#2 It's Not the Best Solution for Note-Taking or Editing Documents
#3 It's Too Distracting
#4 It's Ultra-Portable and Ultra-Droppable
#5 What Makes it Desirable to your Kid is What Makes it Desirable to Criminals
#6 It's Meant for the Enjoyment of One Person, Which Means Social Seclusion
#7 Digital Text Books are a Marvel, but There's No Secondary Market
#8 It's a Status Symbol, Plain and Simple
#9 It'll Already be Old Technology by the Time You Buy It
#10 They'll Also Want a Laptop, Too

KiwiNZ
July 31st, 2011, 08:34 PM
Of course parents should make these decisions based on the ramblings of some Pseudo Journalist's Blog.:rolleyes:

Dry Lips
July 31st, 2011, 08:38 PM
I think nothing beats pen and paper for note taking.

IWantFroyo
July 31st, 2011, 08:40 PM

Yep. Paper and pen while at work/school, type them up and push them to the cloud while at home.

Dry Lips
July 31st, 2011, 08:40 PM
Yep. Paper and pen while at work/school, type them up and push them to the cloud while at home.

Exactly!

krapp
July 31st, 2011, 08:44 PM
Of course parents should make these decisions based on the ramblings of some Pseudo Journalist's Blog.:rolleyes:

The reasons provided are all sound, and good advice for over-indulgent parents ready to buy their spoiled kids the latest fad object.

BeRoot ReBoot
July 31st, 2011, 08:46 PM
It is a great product [and] I have the utmost respect for Apple

Wrong, it's an oversized smartphone without voice calls. I hate Apple for popularising this category of devices and the rest of the companies for drinking the jobsian kool-aid. The "tablet" as it exists today can't do anything better or more conveniently than either smartphones, laptops or netbooks.

The tablet needs to be put out of its mercy, and if you're buying into the propaganda, you should feel bad for prolonging the suffering.

KiwiNZ
July 31st, 2011, 08:47 PM

Nothing beats the slate and chisel ;)

BeRoot ReBoot
July 31st, 2011, 08:50 PM

Nothing beats emacs + LaTeX. For me, it's faster than handwritting, and it spares me the trouble of having to re-write everything once I get home just to have it available digitally, because I know I won't ever read anything out of a paper notebook since my handwriting is absolutely disgusting.

beetleman64
July 31st, 2011, 08:53 PM
Quite right. The iPad (and similar) are very good entertainment devices, but various factors mean it simply isn't up to doing work. The word processing apparently isn't up to much, and has to be tortuously synced with iTunes.

Just buy a laptop if you need to do work. It's cheaper and more effective.

Dry Lips
July 31st, 2011, 08:53 PM

Yes I'm sure you have a slate ;)

kaldor
July 31st, 2011, 08:55 PM

As a current student, I can soundly say I would NEVER use ANY tablet for school. You make it sound like it's a childish thing to think. Can you honestly say using an iPad/Xoom/Whatever is just as good (or better) than using a netbook/laptop/pen?

If I want to be productive, I want to type. I don't want to play around on a touch screen. Yes, you can get a keyboard to add on to a tablet; but they're hardly great to use on the go, and it's just another thing to need to carry around. Plus it's more expensive.

red_Marvin
July 31st, 2011, 08:55 PM
>> #4 It's Ultra-Portable and Ultra-Droppable

Anything X-portable is X-droppable, if "ultraportable" goes from being a selling point
to a detriment perhaps one is the kind of person that should not invest
in any kind of technology that is not armour plated and bolted to the floor.

koenn
July 31st, 2011, 08:57 PM

not really.
Pen and paper is faster.
Colors and highlighting are notoriously difficult with slate and chisel.

Copper Bezel
July 31st, 2011, 08:57 PM
Note taking happens best with a keyboard.

Still, I think it's absurd to claim that tablets don't have any advantages or that they encourage social seclusion, because they're quite simply the most social digital device in existence. Everyone can see what you're doing in a way that isn't true with a laptop or a mobile, and you can pass something around to share, whether that's photos, a book, a website, or whatnot.

KiwiNZ
July 31st, 2011, 08:59 PM
My oldest son just completed his Doctorate, my middle and youngest sons are in the middle of doing theirs, they all have iPads and swear by them.

Yeah I guess using an iPad really does hinder their study.

kaldor
July 31st, 2011, 09:04 PM
My oldest son just completed his Doctorate, my middle and youngest sons are in the middle of doing theirs, they all have iPads and swear by them.

Yeah I guess using an iPad really does hinder their study.

So what do they do on their iPads? Note that I'm not flaming these devices, I just can't see how they'd be as good as a laptop/netbook when carrying around to classes, etc.

ninjaaron
July 31st, 2011, 09:09 PM
I have no desire to own an iPad, and, as someone who switched from using Apple exclusively to low-end PCs running Ubuntu, I can hardly be qualified as an Apple fanboy.

Nonetheless, I have a friend who has an ipad with a small blue-tooth keyboard, and it works very well for taking notes cause he can draw diagrams right in. For him (as for myself), note-taking is much faster with a keyboard, and the ability to draw removes any advantage that a pen and paper might have for him.

He can and has even written papers on his iPad, though he normally does that on his old PowerBook.

The iPad also has the advantage that it is an excellent reader, much better for reading than a laptop, especially when so many textbooks are now available as PDFs (and not least for free to pirates.... library.nu, how I love thee).

I still think a laptop is overall a better choice, but an iPad certainly has advantages in the classroom, especially when paired with a keyboard. I think it would be problematic to have one as your "computer for college" without regular access to a normal PC.
The only thing that would be better than an iPad as a note-taker is a touchscreen netvertible running Ubuntu... which I have. :D

Dry Lips
July 31st, 2011, 09:11 PM
The only thing that would be better is a netvertible running Ubuntu... which I have. :D
What's a netvertible?

---
edit: Oh, it's like a hybrid netbook/tablet?

thomasw_lrd
July 31st, 2011, 09:13 PM
While I haven't actually used my for school, they have several apps that might be useful.

One app in particular I'm interested in using has both a recording feature, and you can use a stylus to take notes. I can see this being pretty useful. Much better in a math class for writing out formulas, then trying to use a laptop.

Also, I think they are better for carrying to class than a notebook. The battery lasts much longer, and I would think since they take up less space, they'd be less distracting.

I do agree that they are not a laptop replacement, but I can see myriad uses for them.

KiwiNZ
July 31st, 2011, 09:21 PM
So what do they do on their iPads? Note that I'm not flaming these devices, I just can't see how they'd be as good as a laptop/netbook when carrying around to classes, etc.

As they are not here I am unable to provide a definitive list but some of what they have mentioned are..

1. iBooks , considerably lighter than carrying heavy books.
2. Retrievable note taking that is easily catagorised.
3. Battery life.
4. Internet.
5. Schedule.
6. editing papers.
7. Photos especially medical
8. quiet
and quite a few more.

They do not use them as a replacement for the PC's but a very portable extension of them.

kaldor
July 31st, 2011, 09:24 PM
As they are not here I am unable to provide a definitive list but some of what they have mentioned are..

3. Battery life.
4. Internet.
5. Schedule.
6. editing papers.
8. quiet
and quite a few more.

They do not use them as a replacement for the PC's but a very portable extension of them.

Aside from the iBooks/photos, how is it any different from a laptop? I agree 100% with the books bit, though.

aysiu
July 31st, 2011, 09:32 PM
For books I'd recommend a Nook (not Color). The e-ink is easy on the eyes (no backlight), and it also has a touchscreen interface. Yes, I do have an iPad, and I have tried reading books on it.

Dry Lips
July 31st, 2011, 09:37 PM
for books i'd recommend a nook (not color). The e-ink is easy on the eyes (no backlight), and it also has a touchscreen interface. Yes, i do have an ipad, and i have tried reading books on it.
+1 (if we're talking digital gizmo's; of course the "the real thing"
is best when it comes to reading)

ninjaaron
July 31st, 2011, 09:46 PM
What's a netvertible?

---
edit: Oh, it's like a hybrid netbook/tablet?

That's right. I'm the happy owner of a Dell Inspiron Duo. The battery-life is ****, and it's a bit heavier than I'd like, but It's got a 320GB HD, an excellent 90% scale chiclet keyboard, and runs any kind of Linux you like (I'm managed to get Ubuntu, Meego, Jolicloud, Chromium OS and Arch running on it like butta). You could, should you chose, also just leave Windows 7 Home Premium on it if you want... but it's a little slow on netbook hardware... and c'mon... it's Windows...

It's a BOSS! course, the iPad has a better touch UI and prettier apps... but this has a terminal and a complete office suit, and, like server clients and torrent clients and download managers and gcc and usb ports everything. I wrote a script library for this computer on this computer. Thanks to the Chrome App-store, this computer also has Angry Birds now.

It rocks. Still not as nice for reading as an iPad, but you can't win 'em all.

Copper Bezel
July 31st, 2011, 09:47 PM
+1 (if we're talking digital gizmo's; of course the "the real thing"
is best when it comes to reading)

Yes, but not when it comes to carrying. = )

Edit: ninjaaron, you answered my question while I was asking it. I'm fuchsia with envy.

ninjaaron
July 31st, 2011, 09:51 PM
For books I'd recommend a Nook (not Color). The e-ink is easy on the eyes (no backlight), and it also has a touchscreen interface. Yes, I do have an iPad, and I have tried reading books on it.

I want a Nook so hard.

The thing about reading PDFs for school on a tablet is that you can take notes on it at the same time and sync the whole thing with your PC. Course, Nook wins every time for leisure reading, but it's a toss up for school reading. Nook feels a lot better at long intervals, but a tablet will be more functional.

Edit:

Edit: ninjaaron, you answered my question while I was asking it. I'm fuchsia with envy.
As you should be. Fair warning: Multitouch for this hardware is broken in Linux at the moment (this is really not a big deal, as far as I'm concerned, since almost no apps support it anyway). Also, there are problems with the accelerometer. Some fedora user made a patched kernel to get it working in F15, and we even got him to build a kernel for 10.10, but nothing on 11.04. The Duo users on Ubuntu (myself included) aren't clever enough to build custom kernel modules. Some of the guys claim they are highly qualified tech whatevers, but none of them have come up with any fixes for the driver issues. I'm skeptical. Everyone is an expert on vBulletin AMIRIGHT?

Dry Lips
July 31st, 2011, 09:53 PM
@ninjaaron:
Hmmm, interesting. I think a netvertible certainly makes more sense than a pad.

KiwiNZ
July 31st, 2011, 10:07 PM

I TXT my sons about that...

They responded as

1. Readers are not bright enough in the bright Uni rooms
2. For many text books colour is a very important especially Medical and Maps, charts, graphs etc
3. Readers can do only one thing so they need to carry two devices and when you are carrying 300 ton already in a back pac why add more.

krapp
July 31st, 2011, 10:10 PM

3. Battery life.
4. Internet.
5. Schedule.
6. editing papers.
8. quiet
and quite a few more.

Whoever says they read books on a backlit screen clearly isn't reading very much.
To no PhD student would it occur to write a dissertation on iPad.

KiwiNZ
July 31st, 2011, 10:13 PM
Whoever says they read books on a backlit screen clearly isn't reading very much.

What a load on nonsense

I will however TXT this to my oldest son who has passed his and my other two sons who are doing theirs.

ninjaaron
July 31st, 2011, 10:35 PM
Whoever says they read books on a backlit screen clearly isn't reading very much. I've read six books cover to cover on backlit screens in the past six months, though I admit that I avoid it as much as possible. I've also read countless articles and text-book portions on backlit screens. It's not nice, but it is necessary. I would have been reading them on a PC if not on a tablet, and you can guess which is more comfortable.

While the final product would probably be put together on desktop software like Scrivener, Word Perfect, Open Office, Word, or perhaps with a text editor LaTeX, an iPad with a keyboard is as good as anything for drafting and scribing, especially with the ability to draw freehand. It also provides an excellent tool for reading and note-taking, and organising bibliographic information to be synced with the PC. It's great if you want to get out of the house to for a little inspiration. I wrote my last 20 page paper almost entirely in tomboy notes and then just slapped it into a Turabian template in LibreOffice (beta :p) after the fact.

Dry Lips
July 31st, 2011, 10:35 PM
Concerning screen reading:

"In a study conducted by Jakob Nielsen, a leading web usability expert who co-founded usability consulting company Nielsen Norman Group with Donald Norman, it was discovered that generally people read 25% slower on a computer screen in comparison with a printed page."

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Screen_reading

krapp
July 31st, 2011, 10:49 PM
I've read six books cover to cover on backlit screens in the past six months, though I admit that I avoid it as much as possible. I've also read countless articles and text-book portions on backlit screens. It's not nice, but it is necessary. I would have been reading them on a PC if not on a tablet, and you can guess which is more comfortable.

6 books in 6 months?
Lol.

Let me know when you're reading 6 books a month on a backlit screen, in addition to checking and composing email, browsing the web, and writing whatever sort of projects you write for school.

While the final product would probably be put together on desktop software like Scrivener, Word Perfect, Open Office, Word, or perhaps with a text editor LaTeX, an iPad with a keyboard is as good as anything for drafting and scribing, especially with the ability to draw freehand. It also provides an excellent tool for reading and note-taking, and organising bibliographic information to be synced with the PC. It's great if you want to get out of the house to for a little inspiration. I wrote my last 20 page paper almost entirely in tomboy notes and then just slapped it into a Turabian template in LibreOffice (beta :p) after the fact.My point was that you can't use an iPad exclusively. It's a toy or an unnecessary indulgence at this point and nothing more. Hell, you might do your best thinking on napkins or blackboards, but that doesn't mean you won't need to use a proper computer at some point.

KiwiNZ
July 31st, 2011, 10:50 PM

Unfortunately I cannot repeat what my Sons response was as it fractures many aspects of the Code of Conduct, lets just say he disagreed with you.

One disappointment to me though was his suggested action given his medical training, it was Anatomically impossible. ;)

krapp
July 31st, 2011, 10:58 PM
Unfortunately I cannot repeat what my Sons response was as it fractures many aspects of the Code of Conduct, lets just say he disagreed with you.

One disappointment to me though was his suggested action given his medical training, it was Anatomically impossible. ;)

Congrats on a having a son that made it through medical school. :rolleyes:

Forget the picture books your son looks at; nobody would sincerely elect to read thousands of pages of "TXT" a month on a back-lit screen.

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2011, 10:58 PM
As a current student, I can soundly say I would NEVER use ANY tablet for school. You make it sound like it's a childish thing to think. Can you honestly say using an iPad/Xoom/Whatever is just as good (or better) than using a netbook/laptop/pen?

If I want to be productive, I want to type. I don't want to play around on a touch screen. Yes, you can get a keyboard to add on to a tablet; but they're hardly great to use on the go, and it's just another thing to need to carry around. Plus it's more expensive.

A stone tablet is the best tablet.

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2011, 11:00 PM

Forget the picture books your son looks at; nobody would sincerely elect to read thousands of pages of "TXT" a month on a back-lit screen.

I do it on my laptop all the time.

KiwiNZ
July 31st, 2011, 11:02 PM

It is your reading abilities that may need refreshing, read again a previous post of mine.

I will help you ...... "They do not use them as a replacement for the PC's but a very portable extension of them."

Rasa1111
July 31st, 2011, 11:04 PM
The reasons provided are all sound, and good advice for over-indulgent parents ready to buy their spoiled kids the latest fad object.

Absolutely.
Hard to see with blinders on though.

krapp
July 31st, 2011, 11:05 PM
It is your reading abilities that may need refreshing, read again a previous post of mine.

I will help you ...... "They do not use them as a replacement for the PC's but a very portable extension of them."

Your memory needs more memory: you listed iBooks as the iPad's chief virtue.

KiwiNZ
July 31st, 2011, 11:10 PM

Here is the text of my post.......

"As they are not here I am unable to provide a definitive list but some of what they have mentioned are..

3. Battery life.
4. Internet.
5. Schedule.
6. editing papers.
8. quiet
and quite a few more.

Where did I state "you listed iBooks as the iPad's chief virtue" ?

Again.....

Read , understand then read again.

uRock
July 31st, 2011, 11:13 PM
What a load on nonsense

+1 I have several technical manuals and texts, which I read on my netbook. I really see no need to buy a separate piece of hardware just for reading.

As for the dissertation, that is what the PC at home is for. The portables are perfect for school and are not meant to replace the home PC.

I have quite a few classmates who bring in their laptops and every single one of them has to plug them into the wall, because the batteries don't last through 3-4 hour lectures.

krapp
July 31st, 2011, 11:14 PM
Sorry if "1." generally means first, primary, utmost, chief, etc. in my mind.

krapp
July 31st, 2011, 11:15 PM
+1 I have several technical manuals and texts, which I read on my netbook. I really see no need to buy a separate piece of hardware just for reading.

As for the dissertation, that is what the PC at home is for. The portables are perfect for school and are not meant to replace the home PC.

I have quite a few classmates who bring in their laptops and every single one of them has to plug them into the wall, because the batteries don't last through 3-4 hour lectures.

That's you get a netbook with an actual keyboard if you must have some electronic device in a class.

And what 4 hour lectures are these?!

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2011, 11:18 PM

](*,)

Wow, your comprehension skills are horrible. I know that there are a lot of apps on the iPad that are great for medical student and the way the iPad functions does make it a great tool for a medical student, he never said his son used them to read .txt files or look at "picture books" (which btw is a horrible description of anatomy textbooks) as you put it.

uRock
July 31st, 2011, 11:19 PM
That's you get a netbook with an actual keyboard if you must have some electronic device in a class.

I have a netbook, but I see nothing wrong with using an iPad.

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2011, 11:19 PM

I had a 6 hour chemistry lecture once a week a couple semesters ago.

uRock
July 31st, 2011, 11:22 PM

My physics class will be that long this fall. I use my Netbook instead of the school's PCs in my Cisco classes , which last from 3-4 hours depending on what labs we are working on.

Dry Lips
July 31st, 2011, 11:24 PM

Another good thing about pen and paper: you don't run out of electricity...
And you can make small paper balls that you can throw at the students seated
in front of you ;) Try that with an iPAD!

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2011, 11:26 PM
My physics class will be that long this fall. I use my Netbook instead of the school's PCs in my Cisco classes , which last from 3-4 hours depending on what labs we are working on.

Yeah last semester my physics class was 2 hours one day and 5 hours on the other day when we had lab, and it was late at night.

It was horrible, I would be tired all the time.

uRock
July 31st, 2011, 11:29 PM
Another good thing about pen and paper: you don't run out of electricity...
And you can make small paper balls that you can throw at the students seated
in front of you ;) Try that with an iPAD!

I've had pens run out of ink on me. Cool thing about the netbooks/iPads is being able to use use the webcam to take pics of the dry erase board when schematics and such are drawn and being able to embed them into the document.

Dry Lips
July 31st, 2011, 11:31 PM
I've had pens run out of ink on me.
Oh, really, big surprise ;)

Cool thing about the netbooks/iPads is being able to use use the webcam to take pics of the dry erase board when schematics and such are drawn and being able to embed them into the document.
Yes, but you can chew on pens.

krapp
July 31st, 2011, 11:31 PM
](*,)

Wow, your comprehension skills are horrible. I know that there are a lot of apps on the iPad that are great for medical student and the way the iPad functions does make it a great tool for a medical student, he never said his son used them to read .txt files or look at "picture books" (which btw is a horrible description of anatomy textbooks) as you put it.

Stick to the ponies please. I never said anything about .txt files.

I know it's a bit difficult to follow the thread of the discussion when a moderator who happens to be the resident defender of all things Apple judges the usefulness of an iPad to at look purdy pitchers as an indication of its place in the classroom at large.

uRock
July 31st, 2011, 11:33 PM
Yeah last semester my physics class was 2 hours one day and 5 hours on the other day when we had lab, and it was late at night.

It was horrible, I would be tired all the time.

That's what Monsters are for. :)

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2011, 11:33 PM
I've had pens run out of ink on me. Cool thing about the netbooks/iPads is being able to use use the webcam to take pics of the dry erase board when schematics and such are drawn and being able to embed them into the document.

I've done that when we were in a study group for Calc III and we worked out all the stuff we needed to know for an exam on a whiteboard, and I didn't feel like writing it all down so I just pulled out my lappy and took pics of the whiteboard. Worked perfectly.

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2011, 11:34 PM
Oh, really, big surprise ;)

Yes, but you can chew on pens.

And have them explode in your mouth (it happened once :P )

Ink tastes horrible.

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2011, 11:35 PM
That's what Monsters are for. :)

Oh yes I did that several times, I stuck to sugar free monsters and red bulls because you wouldn't crash as quickly.

Dry Lips
July 31st, 2011, 11:36 PM
And have them explode in your mouth (it happened once :P )

Ink tastes horrible.

Wot, explosive pens? LOL! When our dog was little she was stealing my
pens all the time. She loved to chew them to pieces.

uRock
July 31st, 2011, 11:37 PM
I know it's a bit difficult to follow the thread of the discussion when a moderator who happens to be the resident defender of all things Apple judges the usefulness of an iPad to at look purdy pitchers as an indication of its place in the classroom at large.

A pitcher of beer? Seriously, I don't see where the anti-Apple sentiment is coming from. The iPad is a great product.

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2011, 11:41 PM
Stick to the ponies please.

:rolleyes:

More like he's sane and knows that it's best to use the best tool for the right job especially for something difficult like medical school and not irrationally hate a product because it comes from "T3h eBiL c0rpor4t1oNZ".

You don't sound like you've been in college.

Also, you sound mad.

krapp
July 31st, 2011, 11:43 PM
A pitcher of beer? Seriously, I don't see where the anti-Apple sentiment is coming from. The iPad is a great product.

:doooh:

Pitcher is picture for those who can't spell good. I was hoping "purdy" was sufficient indication of this. I guess not...

KiwiNZ
July 31st, 2011, 11:44 PM
Stick to the ponies please. I never said anything about .txt files.

Please refrain from insults

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2011, 11:45 PM
Wot, explosive pens? LOL! When our dog was little she was stealing my
pens all the time. She loved to chew them to pieces.

It was one of those cheap Bic pens, it was a great deterrent to get me to stop chewing pencils and pens though.

krapp
July 31st, 2011, 11:46 PM
More like he's sane and knows that it's best to use the best tool for the right job especially for something difficult like medical school and not irrationally hate a product because it comes from "T3h eBiL c0rpor4t1oNZ".

The thread opened with a link warning over-indulgent parents to not listen to their kids' cries to the effect of "I need an iPad" for school. Darth Vader took issue. I defended the link. That's what the thread is about. It's not about anything else.

You don't sound like you've been in college.

I don't really think you believe that. Been there, done that.

Dry Lips
July 31st, 2011, 11:51 PM
It was one of those cheap Bic pens, it was a great deterrent to get me to stop chewing pencils and pens though.

Well, here is the trick, you chew the pen cap, not the pen itself.
It's perfectly inksafe! (Perhaps I should not have suggested this,
though. I mean if you already have managed to break the habit.
Sorry!)

krapp
July 31st, 2011, 11:52 PM
How coy.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11105987&postcount=35

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2011, 11:52 PM
The thread opened with a link warning over-indulgent parents to not listen to their kids' cries to the effect of "I need an iPad" for school. Darth Vader took issue. I defended the link. That's what the thread is about. It's not about anything else.

I don't really think you believe that. Been there, done that.

Considering you didn't know that there are such things as 4 hour lectures, yeah I believe that.

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2011, 11:53 PM
Sorry!)

lol

Chronon
July 31st, 2011, 11:53 PM
@uRock: I don't think it's anti-Apple per se. This thread seems like a rejection of the tablet form factor as a useful method of taking notes in the classroom.

I got a netbook a few years back and got a lot of use from it at school. I actually didn't use it to take notes in class because I had completed my classes several years prior to that. However, I did write almost my entire dissertation on it. I synced it to my desktop PC using Dropbox. Graphics work and plot generation were done on the much faster desktop computer, but simple text composition and scripting to automate the plot generation process was easily and conveniently done on the netbook's keyboard away from home.

I'm happy for people to purchase whatever product makes their lives easier. For my money, I can't see spending 50% more than what I paid for my netbook on a device that doesn't have a keyboard.

krapp
July 31st, 2011, 11:54 PM
Considering you didn't know that there are such things as 4 hour lectures, yeah I believe that.

I've been in many 3 hour seminars.

Four hour lectures are unheard of where I am from.

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2011, 11:54 PM
How coy.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11105987&postcount=35

He actually never said it so it doesn't count. Also, it was his son that said it.

Legendary_Bibo
July 31st, 2011, 11:56 PM
Sorry!)

Haha, I did chew the pen cap, it's just that the first and only time I chewed the back it exploded.

Off topic:
Has anyone ever noticed how pencils smell like bacon?

Dry Lips
July 31st, 2011, 11:58 PM
Off topic:
Sniff, sniff... Bacon? That's the first time I've heard that comparison...

But did you know that there exists Bacon Scented Car Air Fresheners?

http://www.amazon.com/Bacon-Scented-Car-Air-Freshener/dp/B000SSVZLW/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_c

overdrank
July 31st, 2011, 11:59 PM
http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/104.gif

el_koraco
August 1st, 2011, 12:01 AM
My god how these threads degenerate in such a short time. The implied premise of the article is - don't spend 600 dollars so your kids can do Facebook in class more easily. It's what they're gonna do.

And seriously, this overprotective attitude to even mentioning Apple in a topic, and coming from staff, makes the forum a dung heap, and most of the time it's what causes all the fighting. It's probably time to be moving on to happier places.

KiwiNZ
August 1st, 2011, 12:03 AM
Off topic:

I shudder to think where you keep your pencils :P

Legendary_Bibo
August 1st, 2011, 12:09 AM
Darth Vader you keep forgetting to delete your post as well:

Dude, move on.

Anyways, when my brother finally goes to Pharmacy school, I'll probably be getting an iPad for him. He says the iTouch I got him works fine, but that thing is showing its age (and the screen is cracked).

Dry Lips
August 1st, 2011, 12:10 AM
I think there's too much heat in this thread. It ought to be locked.

Legendary_Bibo
August 1st, 2011, 12:11 AM
I shudder to think where you keep your pencils :P

Haha, well I don't keep them in the meat drawer or anything, but they seriously smell a lot like bacon to me.

Maybe I'm just weird.

Dry Lips
August 1st, 2011, 12:18 AM
Bacon Flavored Jelly Beans:
http://www.amazon.com/Accoutrements-Bacon-Flavored-Jelly-Beans/dp/B001DDA3VE/ref=acc_glance_t_ai_ps_t2_t_2

Legendary_Bibo
August 1st, 2011, 12:22 AM
Bacon Flavored Jelly Beans:
http://www.amazon.com/Accoutrements-Bacon-Flavored-Jelly-Beans/dp/B001DDA3VE/ref=acc_glance_t_ai_ps_t2_t_2

We actually had a jar of this stuff.

http://uncrate.com/p/2008/11/baconnaise.jpg

Dry Lips
August 1st, 2011, 12:24 AM
Yuck!

Check this out, though:

Bacon Flavored Lip Balm
http://www.amazon.com/Accoutrements-11957-Bacon-Flavored-Balm/dp/B002SIFQUQ/ref=pd_rhf_shvl_2

"Grease up those lips"

Legendary_Bibo
August 1st, 2011, 12:26 AM
Bacon flavored toothpaste (http://www.mcphee.com/shop/products/Bacon-Toothpaste.html)

Dry Lips
August 1st, 2011, 12:28 AM
Bacon flavored toothpaste (http://www.mcphee.com/shop/products/Bacon-Toothpaste.html)

Haha, if I wasn't vegetarian I'd buy one right away! :D

overdrank
August 1st, 2011, 12:29 AM
Successful derail of thread. Thread closed.