PDA

View Full Version : Looking for multiplayer game or MMO to play with mac user

Zorgoth
July 31st, 2011, 03:29 PM
Dipped in Ubuntu

Beans: 605
Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Looking for multiplayer game or MMO to play with mac user
I'm looking for a 3D multiplayer game that someone using mac can play and that I can run under wine with a system with a slowly dying graphics card (I can run WoW under wine, but directx games have to be fairly old for me to play them, in a way they didn't have to be when I bought the machine...). It would be best if it was fairly timezone independent as we range from 5 to 12 hours off of each other. I don't want to play WoW because introducing someone to WoW is kind of like introducing them to drugs, plus it isn't good for people with different timezones anyway.

Runescape is the best idea I have atm, but it isn't amazingly multiplayer - as in it is multiplayer and you can communicate and all, but you never really need the help of a dedicated group like you do in something like WoW.

Is there something perhaps less expensive/addictive than WoW that still has good multiplayer dungeon elements, and perhaps something that doesn't lock you in one timezone like WoW does? It doesn't have to be fantasy - any sort of game with good multiplayer coordination and communication would be worth looking into I'd think.

Also it needs to be something my friend can run on a mac and I can run on my ubuntu machine (as described in my signature) either through a native linux version or through wine.

hoppipolla
July 31st, 2011, 06:10 PM
hm, tricky one man. MMOs on Linux and Mac are fairly small in number!

The best I have found to date (this is something I'm pretty into actually at times!) are Vendetta Online, Dofus and Regnum Online. And of course tons of stuff through Cedega or whatever on earth it's called these days (the thing that lets you play Windows games!).

Other than that erm... Planeshift is ok... and yeah Runescape. No others spring to mind right now...

BeRoot ReBoot
July 31st, 2011, 06:18 PM
EVE online (www.eveonline.com) has a native mac client and pretty much works perfectly in Wine, only has one server/shard (timezone independant) and strongly relies on player cooperation to get anything done - for example, the NPC market is more or less nonexistant, almost every item you use in game is made and sold by other players. The game client itself is free/gratis and so are all the expansions, but there is a monthly subscription for server access.

hoppipolla
July 31st, 2011, 06:30 PM
EVE online (www.eveonline.com) has a native mac client and pretty much works perfectly in Wine, only has one server/shard (timezone independant) and strongly relies on player cooperation to get anything done - for example, the NPC market is more or less nonexistant, almost every item you use in game is made and sold by other players. The game client itself is free/gratis and so are all the expansions, but there is a monthly subscription for server access.

Cool, EVE good call :)