PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Internet download speed incredibly slow

Tatonka1111
July 30th, 2011, 09:33 PM
So i am very new to linux based OS. Just started getting used to the terminal. but my problem is i am trying to install a game on steam and it is downloading very slow. i am used to getting close to 700 kb/s on windows 7 but on ubuntu 11.04 i am only getting 170-180 max. now i have searched all over and tried to fix it on my own but i just cant figure it out and am getting very frustrated. so if anybody has an idea as to how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated. (have looked through the forum by the way but as i said im new to linux and im not actually sure if im looking at the right things) but im using a wired connection. it says im connected to something called auto etho. and there is something called a loopback connection or something like that. but thats about all i can tell you unless you tell me what to look for.

gordintoronto
July 31st, 2011, 12:44 AM
Are you downloading through a browser?

I have no suggestions, as I get full speed downloads except when housemates are watching videos. (Three Linux computers, running a variety of versions.)

Tatonka1111
July 31st, 2011, 07:15 AM
downloading through a browser is just as slow but im downloading through steam. but any download is slow. webpages load just fine and so do movies (like youtube) but like downloading programs, apps, games, all that goes really slow.