PDA

View Full Version : The Joshua Project?

ManicD
July 30th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Was wondering if anyone has heard of the Joshua Project?

Was talking with one of our IT vendors and he was telling me about an organization or company that is or has introduced a line of desktop PC's with a customized version of Ubuntu 11.05 Unity.

The machines all use AMD CPU's and are supposed to be gorgeous and well-built. The interesting thing he said was they were actually built in the U.S. and the prices were amazing.

Have searched this site and just about everywhere else I can think of and cannot find a thing?

oldsoundguy
July 30th, 2011, 04:48 PM
According to Google, The Joshua Project is a project to spread Christianity world wide.
If they are setting up their own laptops, that might be what your IT friend was talking about. Doubt that they are SELLING on the open market.

ManicD
July 30th, 2011, 04:58 PM
They came up when I was searching as well.

However, based on what he was telling me this was not a religious organization of any kind.

I would really like to find out if this is true as it would be interesting to see what they have done to customize Ubuntu.

Additionally, aside from System 76, there really isn't anyone out there building desktops specifically for us.

Although I haven't seen one of their products, they are pretty pricey and look like someone is building boxes out of their garage.

mips
July 30th, 2011, 05:31 PM
The interesting thing he said was they were actually built in the U.S. and the prices were amazing.

I highly doubt that as it simply would not be competitively priced.

ManicD
July 30th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I don't know about that.

Just chucking Windows saves a ton depending on how many boxes you build.

A lot depends on your business model.

unknownPoster
July 30th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I highly doubt that as it simply would not be competitively priced.

I agree.

For one, I can't find any reference to them so I highly doubt they get much business.

Secondly, I've yet to hear of any vendor other than System 76 that has succeeded in selling computers with Ubuntu installed.

Dave_L
July 30th, 2011, 06:50 PM
Secondly, I've yet to hear of any vendor other than System 76 that has succeeded in selling computers with Ubuntu installed.

There's ZaReason, but I don't know anything about them other than what I've read on their web site.

ninjaaron
July 30th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I don't know about that.

Just chucking Windows saves a ton depending on how many boxes you build.

Slap enough bloatware on a system and windows will pay for itself (and then some)!

Old_Grey_Wolf
July 30th, 2011, 11:13 PM
My Google search turned up the following:

"Joshua project is a stepper moto robot to play chess with using a photosensitive LED board. Joshua is a chess robot. It is a stepper motor robot that interfaces with a photosensible board and a computer to play chess with an embedded artificail intelligence, a game database, or a player on the Internet. The package includes software, robot photos, technical papers, schematics, and cabling instructions..
Requirements: No special requirements
Platforms: Linux "

URL: http://www.filetransit.com/view.php?id=87584

coolglobal
July 31st, 2011, 01:55 AM
Additionally, aside from System 76, there really isn't anyone out there building desktops specifically for us.

The Commodore 64 is back: http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx

"Units come with the Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) operating system on disk ready to install."
&
"This is the ultimate hackers keyboard on which to wield your key-fu."

I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw it!

jerenept
July 31st, 2011, 04:11 AM
Was wondering if anyone has heard of the Joshua Project?

Was talking with one of our IT vendors and he was telling me about an organization or company that is or has introduced a line of desktop PC's with a customized version of Ubuntu 11.05 Unity.

The machines all use AMD CPU's and are supposed to be gorgeous and well-built. The interesting thing he said was they were actually built in the U.S. and the prices were amazing.

Have searched this site and just about everywhere else I can think of and cannot find a thing?

Hmmm.... Do you mean 11.04 Unity? I think the ARM version is 11.08 or something...