PDA

View Full Version : What defines a user?

cbennett926
July 30th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Lately I have been battling with what OS to use. It has all came down to this, what defines a user, someone who is completely devoted to a single operating system I.E. owning every product possible, or just someone who loves the company? I love Linux, and I mean really love Linux, especially Ubuntu. I own an Ubuntu jacket which I purchased upon finding Ubuntu because I love it so much, but college is coming up and I have an HP Laptop that my mother gave me and it's really really nice. For the longest time though I wanted a system76 laptop because it is the premier Ubuntu device and only the most loyal Ubuntu user would own it (or so I thought). I even did the unthinkable and thought of purchasing a Mac, but I saw the prices and the hardware and shy'd away. I am just so lost in the popularity of it all and I believe now that it is not what you own, or how much you publicly display, but what your think and how you act. Please leave your thoughts on this.

XubuRoxMySox
July 30th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I don't think I understand the question! It's one thing to be a user, and a whole 'nother thing to be a "fanboy." It sounds like you're talking about the latter.

I just use what works for me, on my hardware, that has what I need, to my taste. I've tried alot of them, and settled on Xubuntu - for me, for this hardware, for the time being.

But I know how quickly things can change, even with my favorite OS. They really ticked me off when they polluted Xubuntu with PulseAudio, for example. Or maybe something else changes: My new school might require Windows, or I might get new hardware, or I might need an application that won't run in Xubu. I prefer to run applications, not operating systems.

For now that's Xubuntu (LTS), modified a little bit (PulseAudio removed, favorite apps added, extra fluff removed). And I've become something of a Xubu fanboy because it's so effortless and simple compared to so many others I've tried (including Ubuntu).

But geez, it's just another OS! I support it enthusiastically by buying products from the store and that kinda stuff, but I also realize that everything could change very quickly! I'll support whatever works for me. I'm a user, not a fanboy. Well, okay, I'm a Xubu fanboy for now, but it's not a lifetime commitment. It's just an operating system.

whatthefunk
July 30th, 2011, 12:03 PM
A user is somebody who uses something. I am a Lubuntu user. I am also a devoted spatula user. Ive never owned a spatula jacket, but Ive always been a spatula user. Why? Because I like eggs and a spatula is the best thing to cook eggs with. If I found a better thing to cook eggs with, my spatula would be in the trash. If I found a better OS, Lubuntu would be removed. Fortunately for Lubuntu and my spatula, nothing new has been found yet. But just to keep them on their toes, I look around every now and again.

If you like your HP laptop, use it. If you dont, use something else. Has it ever been about what you owned? No. Nothing is ever about what you own. Except maybe ownership. It is also not about how you act. There is no guide book for proper Ubuntu user actions. Is there a Ubuntu dance? I dont know. Being a Ubuntu user is as easy as turning on a computer that has Ubuntu on it.

haqking
July 30th, 2011, 12:05 PM
A user is somebody who uses something. I am a Lubuntu user. I am also a devoted spatula user. Ive never owned a spatula jacket, but Ive always been a spatula user. Why? Because I like eggs and a spatula is the best thing to cook eggs with. If I found a better thing to cook eggs with, my spatula would be in the trash. If I found a better OS, Lubuntu would be removed. Fortunately for Lubuntu and my spatula, nothing new has been found yet. But just to keep them on their toes, I look around every now and again.

If you like your HP laptop, use it. If you dont, use something else. Has it ever been about what you owned? No. Nothing is ever about what you own. Except maybe ownership. It is also not about how you act. There is no guide book for proper Ubuntu user actions. Is there a Ubuntu dance? I dont know. Being a Ubuntu user is as easy as turning on a computer that has Ubuntu on it.

heat and a pan is the best thing to cook eggs with, you cant cook with a spatula ;)

whatthefunk
July 30th, 2011, 12:09 PM
heat and a pan is the best thing to cook eggs with, you cant cook with a spatula ;)

Crap. I suppose you need things like fuel, sparks, and a burner too. Cooking eggs just got a hell of a lot more complicated. Anybody know where I can buy a natural gas jacket?

haqking
July 30th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Crap. I suppose you need things like fuel, sparks, and a burner too. Cooking eggs just got a hell of a lot more complicated. Anybody know where I can buy a natural gas jacket?

no atcually you dont need anything more than heat.

you can cook an egg on a rock in the desert ;-)

Erik1984
July 30th, 2011, 12:11 PM

http://www.uksoccershop.com/images/13905.jpg

whatthefunk
July 30th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Thanks Euroman, but Im in the market for a rock jacket now. Or maybe a heat jacket would be more all inclusive.

XubuRoxMySox
July 30th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks Euroman, but Im in the market for a rock jacket now. Or maybe a heat jacket would be more all inclusive.

Well, there's a pro basketball team called the Miami Heat. Maybe buy one of their jackets! And have someone embroider a frying egg in a pan above the flaming basketball logo. That'd be just about right

cbennett926
July 30th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Alright guys, you humored me, both laughingly and on topic, thank you all! You made me smile and come to the realization of things.

haqking
July 30th, 2011, 12:33 PM
or a fried egg jacket

http://www.cafepress.com/+hung_over_fried_egg_mens_performance_jacket,36913 4514

haqking
July 30th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Alright guys, you humored me, both laughingly and on topic, thank you all! You made me smile and come to the realization of things.

well it is the cafe....the best place for eggs ;-)

oh and on subject a user is someone who uses without knowing why the things he is using work or how ;-) IMO

whatthefunk
July 30th, 2011, 12:54 PM
or a fried egg jacket

http://www.cafepress.com/+hung_over_fried_egg_mens_performance_jacket,36913 4514

I like this jacket and it explains perfectly why I like eggs so much.

OP, Im glad you have come to your senses. Use the new HP until you want to kill Bill Gates, then come back. Or just put Ubuntu or some other distro on it.

el_koraco
July 30th, 2011, 01:22 PM
The only reason to buy a System 76 laptop or any other brandd that shipps Linux preinstalled would be to ensure the maximum level of compatibility and get additional support. Other than that, I don't see their prices as competitive. HP has good quality laptops, they look great, and they ship SLED on some of them. So, if you got one that you can run Linux on, just stick with it.

ninjaaron
July 30th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Good luck to you sir. You have my utmost apathy.

TheNosh
July 31st, 2011, 05:47 AM
It has all came down to this, what defines a user,
That's simple!

someone who is completely devoted to a single operating system I.E. owning every product possible,
Not that.

or just someone who loves the company?
Or that. Seriously?

An OS user is someone who uses an OS. If you use Windows and hate it, but you love Ubuntu and don't use it, you're a Windows user.

You're a user of whatever you use. Funny, isn't it? It's almost like those words are related.

Inodoro Pereyra
July 31st, 2011, 06:39 AM
If you use Windows and hate it, but you love Ubuntu and don't use it, you're a Windows user.

Yeah, and an idiot.:lolflag:

Anyway, I agree with The Nosh. I'm an Ubuntu user, because, so far, I don't know of anything even remotely better. Actually, I don't know of any OS that'd even come close.
I'm also a Windows user, because I don't have a choice. Unfortunately, not all programs can run on Ubuntu.

I do love the open source concept though, especially when I go to a computer store, and look at the software prices, but, if I were to find an OS with the same capabilities of Ubuntu or better, and with a 100% windows compatibility guarantee, I'd forget about Ubuntu in a second.

And I also am a spatula user...:oops:

ninjaaron
July 31st, 2011, 08:38 AM
"The users wrote us. A user even wrote you!"