PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu One Now 5 GB's instead of 2!

Rasa1111
July 30th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Wow, Awesome!

I just opened my Ubuntu-One dash in my browser and it told me I have 5 GB's!
I wondered if it was a mistake or bug, Since it's only ever been 2GB's,
But a quick search showed me that indeed, Ubuntu has raised it from 2GB's to 5 GB's!
>>>
Ubuntu One has increased the amount of free storage given to users of its basic plan from 2GB to 5GB.http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/07/ubuntu-upgrades-free-storage-5gb-hits-1-million-users/

:D

Man, Ubuntu freakin' rocks! lol
Thanks Ubuntu/Canonical! :KS
http://cdn.omgubuntu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Screen-Shot-2011-07-28-at-18.33.36.png <3

LowSky
July 30th, 2011, 09:50 AM
LOL i dont even use 10mb of my U1 account... now more free space

Rasa1111
July 30th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Well, many do!
and could really use the extra space.
This is for them. Those who will appreciate it. lol :P

hakermania
July 30th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Ubuntu_One > DropBox

Rasa1111
July 30th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Ubuntu_One > DropBox

you think?
I like Ubuntu One much better myself.

Since 11.04 anyway. lol :P

kaldor
July 30th, 2011, 10:38 AM
This is great and all, but the service is painfully slow. If I want to give pictures/files to people, I can have 10 things on Dropbox before my Ubuntu One sync is finished with one file.

Rasa1111
July 30th, 2011, 11:51 AM
This is great and all, but the service is painfully slow. If I want to give pictures/files to people, I can have 10 things on Dropbox before my Ubuntu One sync is finished with one file.

This is *mostly* true. lol
I really used to notice it when using versions older than 11.04,
But since natty was released.. Ubuntu one seems to have gotten much better than it was.
Sync is much faster, and it all seems to work 'without a hitch', and there was often a 'hitch' when using 10.04 or 10.10. lol

Ive noticed dropbox handles larger files quite a bit better than U1,
but when uploading-syncing images/songs/short videos/files,
I don't notice much difference between U1 and dropbox anymore.

Dropbox has been around quite a bit longer than U1 though hasnt it?

I think if U1 keeps on the track it's been on..
these little issues will be worked out soon enough.

Just has to "evolve''.
Like dropbox has... maybe? lol

I always installed dropbox alongside U1, simply for the extra space..
But now with U1 , I've got more space than I used to with U1 and dropbox combined!
(not quite 3 GB's for my dropbox).

Hope the devs keep doing an awesome job with U1! :D

ninjaaron
July 30th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Well, we've got to keep up with iCloud.

Ubuntu_One > DropBoxyou think?

lulz. wow.

Rasa1111
July 30th, 2011, 03:09 PM
"lulz wow" huh? lol
What's the problem?
Can't handle opinions much eh? :rolleyes: "lulz"
"wow" indeed.

ninjaaron
July 30th, 2011, 03:31 PM
"lulz wow" huh? lol
What's the problem?
Can't handle opinions much eh? :rolleyes: "lulz"
"wow" indeed.

What, exactly, do you think "Ubuntu_One > DropBox" means?
:p

TheJackal12
July 30th, 2011, 04:42 PM
you think?

I got a chuckle from that myself. Anyway, I think that is neat that the size was increased, though I don't use it that often. It does upload slow, but the download speed is alright.

simpleblue
July 30th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Ubuntu One > Dropbox

Ubuntu was is much better integrated with the file manager then dropbox. If I remember correctly Dropbox could only use one directory to drop files in, but with U1 you have the ability to choose a couple different directories. I could sync in my music, downloads, and documents dir and choose not to use my Video directory or I could choose only the movies in my vid directory that I want.

And 5 gigs of space is ALOT of space to save files. Even 2 gigs was way over what I'd ever use, but please don't abuse the system and load the damn thing up if you don't need to.

Rasa1111
July 30th, 2011, 05:06 PM
What, exactly, do you think "Ubuntu_One > DropBox" means?
:p

Ubuntu One is 'greater than' dropbox. lol O_o

madjr
July 30th, 2011, 05:06 PM
thumbs up!

Rasa1111
July 30th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I got a chuckle from that myself. Anyway, I think that is neat that the size was increased, though I don't use it that often. It does upload slow, but the download speed is alright.

Perhaps I worded it wrong then. lol

MasterNetra
July 31st, 2011, 01:33 AM
I prefer adrive.com, you get 50GB free. If carnoical did 50GB+ free then I would instantly switch. Heck I'd settle for 40GB.

sffvba[e0rt
July 31st, 2011, 01:36 AM
With Déjà Dup getting Ubuntu One integration I am very willing to fork out a few bucks and use this service for online backup. Will have to wait and see in 11.10 or 12.04 what functionality there will be... but I am very happy with 5GB for free, thanks Canonical!

IWantFroyo
July 31st, 2011, 01:38 AM
Nice! :)

I'm starting to use Ubuntu One again, now.

ScionicSpectre
July 31st, 2011, 01:44 AM
I love Ubuntu One- how is their Windows client doing? I think that if Ubuntu One and its music store can be used on Windows and OS X in Banshee (when Banshee is ported reliably), this could have a lot of potential. Amazonmp3 would be the only other service with top-tier music on every platform that automatically synchronizes. (I believe Amazonmp3 has an app for Android and iPhone, as does UbuntuOne).

I think there are great advantages to being open and accepting everyone, and that clouds supporting open software will undoubtedly become ubiquitous in the future, as people try to destroy compatibility boundaries.

sffvba[e0rt
July 31st, 2011, 02:05 AM
I love Ubuntu One- how is their Windows client doing? I think that if Ubuntu One and its music store can be used on Windows and OS X in Banshee (when Banshee is ported reliably), this could have a lot of potential. Amazonmp3 would be the only other service with top-tier music on every platform that automatically synchronizes. (I believe Amazonmp3 has an app for Android and iPhone, as does UbuntuOne).

I think there are great advantages to being open and accepting everyone, and that clouds supporting open software will undoubtedly become ubiquitous in the future, as people try to destroy compatibility boundaries.

... would be nice to have the client for Kubuntu too ...