PDA

View Full Version : Backyard Monsters... Alaskan Style.

Shibblet
July 30th, 2011, 07:46 AM
I know it's not much of a shock to see moose in Alaska. However, in the middle of summertime it's pretty odd. And I don't think i've seen a baby moose this young before.

Megaptera
July 30th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Great photos!

Paqman
July 30th, 2011, 08:49 AM
That's awesome, biggest thing I've ever seen in my back yard is a fox.

jfreak_
July 30th, 2011, 09:38 AM
How big is a moose? that one looks like it might be as tall as me (5 10')

mips
July 30th, 2011, 11:17 AM
How big is a moose? that one looks like it might be as tall as me (5 10')

That's probably it's shoulder height, they get big & heavy.

k10wn
July 30th, 2011, 04:07 PM
I only get rattlesnakes, coyotes, javelinas, and jack rabbits here. A straight up moose would be a nice change of scenery.

Bandit
July 30th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Hey Shib, where is the after photos.. :D

http://www.images35.com/images/MooseHead.jpg

haqking
July 30th, 2011, 05:05 PM
biggest, hairiest, scariest thing i get in my back garden is my girlfriend sunbathing ;-)

mips
July 30th, 2011, 05:32 PM
I only get rattlesnakes, coyotes, javelinas, and jack rabbits here. A straight up moose would be a nice change of scenery.

Move to africa for a change of scenery, you would see a lot more weird things ;)

drawkcab
July 30th, 2011, 06:06 PM
A Moose, especially a cow with a calf, is a very very dangerous animal. Their instinct is to charge/trample you to death if they feel threatened. Tread lightly!

On the other hand, they are incredible animals and I've seen them up close a few times--from the safety of my car of course!

Shibblet
July 30th, 2011, 08:49 PM
A Moose, especially a cow with a calf, is a very very dangerous animal. Their instinct is to charge/trample you to death if they feel threatened. Tread lightly!

No doubt. I stuck my head out the back window to get the pictures, and momma turned around and looked right at me, then started walking toward. Keeping herself between me and her baby.

On the other hand, they are incredible animals and I've seen them up close a few times--from the safety of my car of course!

They're pretty darn common in Alaska. Like deer in the mid-western US, they tend to get hit by cars and such quite a bit. This normally happens in the winter time, not in July.

Dry Lips
July 31st, 2011, 02:05 AM
I've encountered elks with calves, but not as young as this
calf though. Last time I stumbled across elks was earlier this
summer (spring?). There were 3 elks crossing the road perhaps
50-65 ft in front of me.

They never fail to impress me, even though I see them
quite regular.