PDA

View Full Version : hacked email

mmsmc
July 30th, 2011, 02:22 AM
hi all, it seems that someone decided to hack my email. it is a .live account. it doesn't look like any damage was done but my name was changed, which is what drew my attention. I am and have been in the process of looking for a more secure email provider, any ideas?

thanks

Sonicrulz12
July 30th, 2011, 02:28 AM
try yahoo or gmail

mmsmc
July 30th, 2011, 02:40 AM
im looking for an open source email, thanks for the suggestions!

ScionicSpectre
July 30th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Are they any AGPL solutions for email? You could, of course, set up your home computer as an email server, but you'd probably want a domain name so it doesn't read as your full IP (I'm not sure if email can even work with raw IP addresses).

I'm sorry, but I remember researching free and open source solutions, and they all tended to be things you host for yourself. I somehow doubt there is an email provider out there willing to give away their source code and free bandwidth. I could be horribly mistaken though, as Wikipedia is a real thing. XD I'll take another look, and if I find something reasonably usable/real I'll reference it.

Thewhistlingwind
July 30th, 2011, 03:24 AM
any ideas?

Yourself.

The only cloud you can trust is the one in your closet.

mmsmc
July 30th, 2011, 03:30 AM
thanks for the help guys, i know how to set up a home server for email, but ive never done it before and have no clue how reliable/safe it actually is

lisati
July 30th, 2011, 03:40 AM
thanks for the help guys, i know how to set up a home server for email, but ive never done it before and have no clue how reliable/safe it actually is

I took the plunge early last year and set up my own email server. Getting the basic setup working wasn't too difficult, although I needed to arrange port 25 to be unblocked with my ISP, which included getting a static IP address for my connection. There's things like how to access your email to take into account, e.g. pop3 or IMAP, webmail or with a client, together with what access you'll be allowing from outside your home network. There are also options for blocking spam and malware to consider. Over time I've refined the settings a bit from the "standard" installation.

I'm sure there will be plenty of volunteers with ideas to help you get started.

mmsmc
July 30th, 2011, 03:44 AM
thanks, currently im on a laptop with about 10gbs of hard drive space and 500mb of ram :D, so when i am ready to start ill start another post, thanks for the help everyone, now i have to get prepped for my a new ubuntu expedition :)