PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Titlebar gone?

samg34
July 30th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Well some things had gone wrong with the titlebar at the top of each window, so i reinstalled compiz. When that didn't work I deleted ~/.gnome, ~/.gnome2, ~/metacity, ~/gconf, ~/gconfd to try and reset Gnome desktop. When that didn't work, i made a new user. I thought that would certainly do the trick, but I still lack a titlebar at the top of each window. Changing the theme does not resolve this issue.
Maybe do a hard reset on the window manager somehow...

jerrrys
July 30th, 2011, 02:14 AM
sudo apt-get gnome-desktop-environment

this should give you a fresh desktop

and i suggest backing up personal files first

jfb3
July 30th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Actually that is what I wish my apps looked like. I don't need the titlebar for anything. It just takes up valuable space.

asthor
July 30th, 2011, 12:11 PM
You could try running "metacity --replace &" in a terminal window... this may show some useful debugging messages.

Frogs Hair
July 30th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I used the Window manager icon in to refresh the the desktop when this happened in 10.04 . It can be added from the main menu if the icon is not visible .

samg34
July 31st, 2011, 05:10 AM
Reinstalling the gnome desktop worked.
Later investigation found that the titlebar gone has something to do with the compiz window switcher settings. I will post more info later

samg34
July 31st, 2011, 05:15 AM
What i said earlier was correct. When I have the "Shift Switcher" thingy enabled in compiz, i no longer have a titlebar. Where do i report this bug?