PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to remove System Settings access from Power Button

Zeelon
July 29th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I am very close to deploying Ubuntu 11.04 to my school and need to remove the access to the "System Settings" to the students. This is the last thing I want them to get at. I had 10.04 going but ran into other problems that 11.04 solved and all I have left is this problem.

I can lock them out of all those nasty options you don't want students to get to in a lab setting except for this. WHY DID THEY CHANGE IT!!!!!!!!!:confused::confused::confused::confused ::confused:

NEED HELP ASAP! I have to start imaging machines next week.

Mr. Shannon
July 29th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Are you using Unity or plain Gnome? If using plain Gnome you can remove the power button completely and replace it with a different type (without settings) by left clicking on the panel and choosing Add to Panel and then choose Shutdown.

Zeelon
July 29th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Using the plain Gnome desktop. Hardware issues won't allow Unity.

I will try your suggestion, Will let you know soon.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Zeelon
July 30th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Well it worked but took out the clock and volume control as well. Added the clock back using the "Add to Panel" but had to create a startup launcher to get the volume control back.

Thanks much.

I come from the Winderz group and it has taken a bit to get Ubuntu ready for students. My district cannot purchase any equipment and I have been messing with Linux at home so it was a good fit to move into the school. We do have a few machines that can still handle XP with all of the necessary extras but I am moving the entire student system to Ubuntu.

Thanks again.

Not sure how to mark as solved, but it is!

Krytarik
July 31st, 2011, 01:36 AM
Well it worked but took out the clock and volume control as well. Added the clock back using the "Add to Panel" but had to create a startup launcher to get the volume control back.
A better way to re-add the volume indicator is to add "Indicator Applet" to the panel, this would also bring back the message indicator, btw.

Before, you had "Indicator Applet Complete" in your panel, which is the default at least in Natty 11.04.

You can mark your thread as "solved" via "Thread Tools" right above the thread.

And good luck with your roll-out!

Zeelon
August 1st, 2011, 04:07 PM
Did not really want the kids getting the notifications anyway!

I looked at the envelope in the indicator position and mine said "Setup Email" or something to that effect which I don't want them to have anyway. For me taking out the original panel solved several possible problems. Your advice worked out very well.

Thanks again.