PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Change WLAN0 MAC address at every boot

getut
July 29th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Please help me change my WLAN0 MAC address in my Kubuntu Natty 64 bit at every boot. I have done quite a bit of searching and found some procedures that appear to have worked back in 9.04 and before days but I have been unable to get anything to work for me in my 11.04 install.

I have tried adding a script to if.pre-up.d and also tried adding a bootmisc.sh and either I did them wrong or they are not working. I want to make sure that every time I bring the wireless up in Kubuntu that I have the changed MAC address. I usually keep wireless disabled and turn it on just when I need it.

Background so you don't think I am doing something nefarious... I am going on a cruise soon. The cruise line sells wireless internet subscriptions for the duration of the cruise but they tie it to a MAC address. I am bringing my CDMA android phone that unless I use VOIP will be unable to call at all or at least with very high charges. But I also want to be able to browse the internet with my laptop. I figure it will be easier to spoof my phones MAC with the PC than the other way around. I just need to turn one device off if I am using the other.

I need the MAC address to be semi permanent so I don't turn it on by mistake and have forgotten to change the MAC.

getut
August 1st, 2011, 03:14 PM
Bump... anyone???

getut
August 3rd, 2011, 03:57 PM
Last bump then giving up on this one.