PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] bittorrent client

Aitashan
July 29th, 2011, 08:07 AM
which is th best piece of software for downloading torrents and why

androssofer
July 29th, 2011, 09:32 AM

i use vuze (formerly known as azureus)... works a treat... fast as... has nice search function... thts all i got. guess its up to u which u like best.. its my fav..

lordievader
July 29th, 2011, 10:10 AM
On Ubuntu I use Transmission. Main reason is that this comes pre-installed. And it does what it needs to do, no need for anything fancy.

haqking
July 29th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Best is subjective to user experience and requirements.

I personally use QBittorrent as it is pretty configurable and i just like it but there are many, Transmission by default works well for many, Deluge, Vuze, UTorrent etc etc

fractalman
July 29th, 2011, 12:01 PM
I use deluge. its pretty much the same as the Bittorrent client i used to use in the other sides o/s . there's loads to choose from though so just play about and see which one takes your fancy:D

coolsreejith
July 29th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Deluge is good. Pretty neat and simple interface almost similar like utorrent. Have tried Transmission and vuze but neither worked for me cos they didn't have scheduler. Vuze's scheduler plugin AZcron and Speed scheduler never worked for me. So Deluge.

androssofer
July 29th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Deluge is good. Pretty neat and simple interface almost similar like utorrent. Have tried Transmission and vuze but neither worked for me cos they didn't have scheduler. Vuze's scheduler plugin AZcron and Speed scheduler never worked for me. So Deluge.

tht sorta thing exists!? who knew.. haha. i made cronjobs and scripts to launch vuze at night and close in the morning!... ah well, learnt lots...

aeiah
July 29th, 2011, 03:07 PM
+1 for deluge. you can run it normally, or you can run it as a client/daemon mode (transmission also has client/daemon functionality). so i can have the daemon start in the background when my computer starts, and just attach to it with the deluge client when i want to see progress or (re)move files - either from the computer running the daemon, or from another on my LAN.

stefangr1
July 29th, 2011, 03:20 PM
On Ubuntu I use Transmission. Main reason is that this comes pre-installed. And it does what it needs to do, no need for anything fancy.

Not only does it come pre-installed, my experience is that it's a very capable client nowadays. A few years ago I used Vuze/Azureus, but that takes a lot of system resources, asks you if you would like to install the newest updates every 20 minutes, and my impression is that at this point it doesn't really worl any better than Transmission.

Aitashan
July 31st, 2011, 09:19 AM
sorry for not replying at the moment but i wanted to know if there was a client that offered playback while download such as utorrent and thank you for all your replies

richaustin
July 31st, 2011, 11:12 AM
Personally I use KTorrent. I don't use KDE as a general rule and yes I do know there is an overhead in space etc. with the KDE library. However, I have a darn good reason for using KTorrent - it is as fast as my (now removed) Windows 7 uTorrent.

Using Transmission I am lucky if I get anywhere even near 80-100 Kbps. KTorrent hits 500+ Kbps easily and will go faster if I set it to Unlimited. I've had speeds well in excess of 600Kbps.

I've tried various Torrent clients in both Windows and Linux, on various flavours of Linux as well. I can honestly say, for me at least, KTorrent is very easily the fastest. uTorrent on Win7 is pretty close as well.

fractalman
July 31st, 2011, 11:41 AM
I usually get about 500kbps with deluge, i have seen it go 600 + before but a lot depends on the actual torrent and how busy the internet is at the time of your downloading.

Untold
July 31st, 2011, 07:30 PM
I used deluge for the longest time and it worked great. I love being able to close it out to the notification area. However I just switched to qBittorrent for the search feature. The only drawback is if you set it to close to the notification area, it vanishes while still running. You will forget that it is there, try to run a different instance and it will not allow it.
Again definitely users needs/experience.

stefangr1
August 2nd, 2011, 08:55 AM
I usually get about 500kbps with deluge, i have seen it go 600 + before but a lot depends on the actual torrent and how busy the internet is at the time of your downloading.

The speeds you get depends on:

(1) your connection,
(2) the speed of who'se uploading to you, and
(3) communication of the software you use with other users.

If I, for example, download a new Ubuntu ISO file, I usually get to the maximum of 800kbps possible on my connection.

The reason many people used Azureus/Vuze a few years ago instead of Transmission and (particularly) KTorrent, was that it was thought that the latter two gave you much lower download speeds at a given (1) and (2). At this moment, however, I don't think this difference still exists for Transmission (don't know about KTorrent).

Vuze does have an internal search engine, but if you don't use that I would strongly suggest to stay with Transmission as programs like Vuze seems overly complex for their task thus using too much recourses and being more vulnerable to bugs and security holes.

Nytram
August 2nd, 2011, 09:49 AM
I also use KTorrent mainly because of its built-in search option, I've not had any speed issues with it - a popular download such as an Ubuntu ISO maxes my connection at ~ 1.2 MB/S.