PDA

View Full Version : Google Chromebooks, iPads, Smartphones

Trilogin
July 29th, 2011, 07:46 AM
I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but:

Do you guys think that these things will change the face of computing as we know it? Will Google's Chromebook convert many people to Cloud computing, replacing traditional laptops and PCs? Will tablet PCs with limited functionality become the norm for everyone that is not heavily into PC gaming, professional multimedia editing, and heavy document/presentation creation? Will Smartphones, tablet PC's and cloud computing change the face of personal computing forever?

I personally do not think so, I think they are just new household gadgets. The microwave did not replace the conventional oven, it just made cooking while drunk and reheating food easier. That is how I perceive the new computing power that is available through handheld devices.They aren't actually more powerful, just more convenient. People still have kitchens even though most McDonald's serve food for at least 18 hours per day.

I do know one thing though, I may look into getting my mom a Chromebook, because her favorite browser is Google Chrome and she mostly uses it for Facebook and for uploading pictures, apparently all things that are capable with a Chromebook. Then I could have my old laptop back and I could put Ubuntu on it! :)

Any thoughts on this topic?

Oh, one more thing that I was wondering, if Google follows open source standards for its Chrome and Android platforms, why doesn't someone try to market a Linux version of the Chromebook, with computing in the cloud?

Thewhistlingwind
July 29th, 2011, 07:49 AM
Oh, one more thing that I was wondering, if Google follows open source standards for its Chrome and Android platforms, why doesn't someone try to market a Linux version of the Chromebook, with computing in the cloud?

Uh, what open standard do you think those platforms are based on?

It starts with an L and ends with nux.

Also, ever heard of the neo freerunner/meego?

Trilogin
July 29th, 2011, 08:12 AM
I should have thought about the wording in that sentence before I submitted the post.

Official edit:
Why doesn't someone try to market an Ubuntu version of the Chromebook designed around cloud computing?

My reasoning is that if Ubuntu is not a profitable endeavor for Canonical and Mark Shuttleworth, why not take a specific notebook architecture like Chrome did, engineer something like a Cloudbuntu OS to specifically work around that, offer official software repositories (something that is already in existence for Ubuntu) that contain flash-based and WebGL games and strong productivity software. It could even beat out the Chrome OS by having Libre Office preloaded and designed to work in it while still providing access to many of the same apps available in the Google app store.

It seems to me that Mark Shuttleworth, Canonical, and Ubuntu could provide serious competition in the cloud-based personal computing world. A 64 gigabyte SSD (the storage drive in a chromebook) is more than enough to house a lightweight distribution of Ubuntu using Firefox or some *nux specific reflavoring of Firefox (already in existence) with Thunderbird or Evolution Mail, and complete LibreOffice or OpenOffice integration. The main GUI being the reflavored (or not) Firefox.

Anyways, enough about that though, the main question I really wanted to pose was the first one about the future of personal computing. :)

And no, I've never heard of the neo freerunner or meego, but I will check it out now.

Thewhistlingwind
July 29th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I should have thought about the wording in that sentence before I submitted the post.

Indeed.

Official edit:
Why doesn't someone try to market an Ubuntu version of the Chromebook designed around cloud computing?

<snip>

No, they couldn't. The chromebook is marketing hype.

Anyways, enough about that though, the main question I really wanted to pose was the first one about the future of personal computing. :)

Netbooks, tablets, and smartphones are as much marketing as they are product.

Are these devices useful in their target markets? Yes.

Are they cool? Yes.

Are they game changers? As consumer electronics, yes.

Will any of them ever kill the desktop? Hell no.

Santaji
July 29th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Will tablet PCs with limited functionality become the norm for everyone that is not heavily into PC gaming, professional multimedia editing, and heavy document/presentation creation?
Yes, "Post PC devices" like the iPad are the future of computing for most people.
I believe the iPad was the first computer that is truly easy to use.
Desktop operating systems like Ubuntu, Windows, Mac OS X might be much more flexible, and more "open", As in you can browse through the filesystem and stuff like that. But they are just too complicated for most people.
The iPad's user interface is simple, You don't have to learn how to use it. It's not scary or intimidating to people who have never used a computer before.
iPads (and other tablets) have only been around for a about a year, Their functionality is still limited, But in the future tablets will be able to completely replace desktop/laptop computers for casual users.
Traditional desktop operating systems will still be around, But will be used only by people who need a more flexible system, People like developers, etc.

They aren't actually more powerful, just more convenient.
More convenient and easier to use is the advantage of tablets, Most people do not need the extra power and flexibility of a desktop OS, It just gets in their way.

I do know one thing though, I may look into getting my mom a Chromebook, because her favorite browser is Google Chrome and she mostly uses it for Facebook and for uploading pictures, apparently all things that are capable with a Chromebook. Then I could have my old laptop back and I could put Ubuntu on it! :)
I am not sure what the difference in price is, But i would suggest getting her a iPad instead if it's not a lot more expensive.

What i want to see, Is a Linux distro designed for used on tablets.

Trilogin
July 29th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Yes, "Post PC devices" like the iPad are the future of computing for most people.
I am not sure what the difference in price is, But i would suggest getting her a iPad instead if it's not a lot more expensive.

The chromebooks are a little bit cheaper while still offering her the "notebook" form factor, I seriously think an iPad will be difficult for her to use with the touchscreen. She's not stupid, she just likes familiarity.

That would be great! To refrain from saying what I would naturally say next about Ubuntu, I'm just going to ask why hasn't anybody done that yet?

Linux is one of the most used OS's in the world, so it would make sense that with the level of software customization possible and the variety of hardware suported, there should be someone who has already developed a fully compatible system i.e:

Linux server, Linux pro workstation, Linux desktop, Linux laptop, Linux netbook, Linux slate, linux phone, linux mp3 player all designed to work together like iMac, Macbook, iPad, iPod.

All free and open source software like Linux, but engineered around hardware with functionality in mind for powerful native utilities (the mp3 player plays mp3s and movies etc... like ipod) and they all network together seamlessly. If done correctly it could be a great way to get Linux into the hands of more Windows/Mac users, while still promoting the "free as in freedom" ideology :)

kaldor
July 29th, 2011, 09:35 AM

We've got Android and HP's WebOS. Android is Linux without the GNU, though. WebOS is pretty similar to a traditional distro underneath. It uses a lot of the common tech found in regular Linuxes.

ScionicSpectre
July 29th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I think that the more Linux conquers the non-desktop world, the more people will forget about open source, which was kind of the point that all this technology was founded on. We need to make sure our community is able to handle mobile platforms, since most people have one, and some people only use their tablet nowadays.

I love WebOS, and I love the way HP is handling it. It'd be nice if it were open source, some day, but until then... I mean, it's at least nice that Linux is being used so widely. It's unfortunate that the idea that Linux is 'fragmented' will only be exaggerated by this, however. MeeGo, Android, WebOS, and whatever Samsung's been working on with the E17 guys. @_@ Qt and GTK are what I want, really. Mobile versions of my current applications is what I want, alongside the cute little mobiley stuff.

I honestly think Chromebooks are going nowhere. You can easily set up any computer to open Chrome, maximized when the computer starts. The cost greatly outweighs the benefits. I hope it catches on anyway, just so vendors develop for the web a bit more when it comes to entertainment.