PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Trouble Installing Ubuntu 11.04

JsinLegacy
July 29th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Trying to install Ubuntu 11.04 on Samsung Qx411 but having issues getting it installed. I placed the disc in and tried booting from disc drive but when I push it this message pops up "prefix not defined".. then it goes to the installation screen .. where I can choose "try" or "install" but once I hit install there is just a black screen that pops up and nothing happens..

Not sure what he issue is .. anyone think they might be able to help ?

Blasphemist
July 29th, 2011, 04:27 AM
You could have a installation media error but I think it is a video issue. Please look at the first 3 posts in this thread. It gives some good information and then how to try some one time settings for video to make it work. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

lordlynxwolf
August 24th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Hi, i also can't install ubuntu 11.04 on this laptop. I get a black screen after the grub install screen when selecting to try it out or install it. I have tried various options by editing the boot string,like nomodeset or acpi=off but no cigar. Any sugestions or as anybody found the way to install it please reply, i'm getting frustrated here.

PS: sorry for the bad english

Blasphemist
August 25th, 2011, 03:08 PM
You've been trying the right things but look at this threads first 3 posts and see if it gives you more to try. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1743535

TravisLow
September 10th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I had this exact same problem. I solved it by simply re-burning the 11.04 CD at an extremely slow rate (maybe 4x or so, can't remember). The more-slowly-burned CD worked great.

Trying to install Ubuntu 11.04 on Samsung Qx411 but having issues getting it installed. I placed the disc in and tried booting from disc drive but when I push it this message pops up "prefix not defined"...

Hakunka-Matata
September 10th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Burning to a USB is a easy way to go. FlashDrive of 1.0 GB is enough..

One popular program for burning img from .iso to USB is unetbootin - see link in signature -