PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to set up Remote Desktop without a monitor?

Nido24
July 29th, 2011, 12:05 AM
I have an old computer that no longer has a monitor (it just broke) and I want to access it through my laptop through remote desktop. It has Ubuntu 11.04 on it but I don't know how to set up Remote Desktop on it without a monitor. I have a mouse and keyboard though. Is it possible to set it up without a monitor?

23dornot23d
July 29th, 2011, 02:16 AM
If you have a LAN connection to it and it was already set up to use it before and you know all the
relative info for the LAN connection ..... it may be possible .... to connect to it from the laptop

Is it on a wireless LAN or cable .... ( does it boot up ok without the monitor ... )
If its not been setup before for a network connection the chances are very slim to connect it now .....

It would be a lot easier getting a monitor for it ....

What computer is it and what graphics card and do you have a TV with HDMI connectors on it ...

just thoughts ..... [ may be another solution .... you could use the TV as a monitor to try
to set it up ..... if you have a digital TV with HDMI and your graphics card on the PC allows for a HDMI
connector to convert it ...... ]

ingeva
July 29th, 2011, 04:18 AM
how to set up Remote Desktop on it without a monitor. I have a mouse and keyboard though. Is it possible to set it up without a monitor?You can set it up to only use a remote monitor, but I believe you would need to have a monitor connected while you set it up. Just install a complete desktop system, and allow remote desktop to be used. I have a similar setup myself, but all I use is ssh for access, so it's not quite the same scenario (It's just a backup and local WEB/MySQL server). The display is normally connected but shut off. Everything except power on is controlled from remote.