PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless problem with Asus eee pc1005HAB - Ubuntu 11.04

ana.evelia10
July 28th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Hi! I have recently installed ubuntu 11.04 on my asus eeepc1005hab. And I've had problems with the wifi. I can connect via ethernet, but the wireless won't connect. I can see the connection, but my wifi never connects. I've tried many things but it still won't work. Can any one help? Thanks!

fi2
July 28th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Did you check if WLAN is enabled in the Bios menu?
(Reboot > F2 > Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration)

chili555
July 28th, 2011, 05:14 PM
First, let's see what kind of wireless card you have; then we'll troubleshoot it. Please open a terminal and run and post:
rfkill list all
lspci -nn | grep 0280The pipe symbol | is on the right side of my US keyboard on the same key with \. Thanks.

ana.evelia10
July 28th, 2011, 05:23 PM
I checked and it is enabled.

rfkill list all
0: eeepc-wlan: Wireless LAN
Soft blocked: no
Hard blocked: no
lspci -nn | grep 0280
02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) [168c:002b] (rev 01)

(the 0280 is red)
Thanks!

chili555
July 28th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Your card uses the driver module ath9k which is usually pretty reliable. Is your network set to WPA and WPA2 mixed mode? That is often troublesome. If you can, try WPA2 only. You might also try:
sudo rmmod -f ath9k
sudo modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt=1Any improvement?

ana.evelia10
July 28th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I'm a noob, so how would I change the wpa and wpa2 mixed mode? and I"ve tried the code but this happens:

ana@aphrodite:~$ sudo rmmod -f ath9k
[sudo] password for ana:
ERROR: Removing 'ath9k': No such file or directory
ana@aphrodite:~$ sudo modprobe ath9k nohwcrpt=1
FATAL: Error inserting ath9k (/lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic-pae/updates/cw-2.6.39/ath9k.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

chili555
July 28th, 2011, 06:07 PM
/lib/modules/2.6.38-11-generic-pae/updates/cw-2.6.39/ath9k.koDid you fail to tell old Chili about installing the compat-wireless package?? Which version of the package did you install? It's in the name of the folder that was created when you extracted the tar.bz2. For example, compat-wireless-2011-07-15.

ana.evelia10
July 28th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Oh! It seems I did...sorry.

I installed compat-wireless-3.0-2.tar.bz2 (that's the title of the .tar.bz2. file)

chili555
July 28th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I suggest you uninstall it and then see if it connects. If not, try this: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download#Directly_downloading_the_tarball

I think the version you installed is for kernel version 3.0 and you have 2.6.38.

ana.evelia10
July 29th, 2011, 12:25 AM
THANK YOU!!! It worked! I reinstalled ubuntu and did the

sudo rmmod -f ath9k
sudo modprobe ath9k nohwcrypt=1
and it worked!
Thanks!

chili555
July 29th, 2011, 12:35 AM
Well, a reinstall is drastic but certainly effective. To make the driver parameter persistent, let's do:
sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.confAdd one line:
options ath9k nohwcrypt=1Proofread, save and close gedit and you should be all set.

Please use thread tools at the top and Mark Solved. Have fun!

ana.evelia10
July 29th, 2011, 01:35 AM
I'm wondering if it is normal that I can't connect to the Internet via wireless if I have 2~3 bars? The signal fluctuates but it's not connecting unless it is in the same room as the router.

AND when I tried doing the code you told me, I got this:

(gedit:2551): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.FS3CZV': No such file or directory

(gedit:2551): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

(gedit:2551): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.AXESZV': No such file or directory

(gedit:2551): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to set the permissions of `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: No such file or directory

** (gedit:2551): CRITICAL **: _gedit_tab_save_as: assertion `(tab->priv->state == GEDIT_TAB_STATE_NORMAL) || (tab->priv->state == GEDIT_TAB_STATE_EXTERNALLY_MODIFIED_NOTIFICATION) || (tab->priv->state == GEDIT_TAB_STATE_SHOWING_PRINT_PREVIEW)' failed

** (gedit:2551): CRITICAL **: _gedit_tab_save_as: assertion `(tab->priv->state == GEDIT_TAB_STATE_NORMAL) || (tab->priv->state == GEDIT_TAB_STATE_EXTERNALLY_MODIFIED_NOTIFICATION) || (tab->priv->state == GEDIT_TAB_STATE_SHOWING_PRINT_PREVIEW)' failed

(gedit:2551): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.QRIJZV': No such file or directory

chili555
July 29th, 2011, 01:53 AM
When I ...ahem... accidentally connect to my neighbor with two bars, it's a bit unstable; three or four are OK. Does your router have a signal strength setting? Is it dialed up to maximum? See attached.
(gedit:2551): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to store changes into `/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel', but failed: Failed to create file '/root/.local/share/recently-used.xbel.FS3CZV': No such file or directoryYou might try gksu: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=118892

ana.evelia10
July 29th, 2011, 02:16 AM
It worked with gsku - thanks!
As for the connecting from my room instead of the living room (where the router is) I don't get why it won't connect from my room. Like I said, the signal fluctuates from 1-3 bars in my room and it doesn't matter. I have to go to the other room with the laptop to be able to connect. *shrugs* I'll find out soon enough. Thanks though!

Teoclaid
February 11th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Did you check if WLAN is enabled in the Bios menu?
(Reboot > F2 > Advanced > Onboard Devices Configuration)

Thank you so much - this solved my eee wifi problem straightaway. Phew! :D